Re: More on any Library Offer - DO check out !!

Case Turner

It would be nice if the collection stayed in Oregon. I can’t recall the last time I traveled out of state to check out a book...

On Sep 26, 2018, at 6:47 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."* Books too. If one gets too caught up in safety and security then nobody will ever be able to read the books. <g>

How can the Coots' Library remain dispersed, but work? We haven't ever figured that out.

* https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/12/09/safe-harbor/

On 9/26/2018 10:07 AM, Myles T wrote:
But beyond all that, there is a very important thing to consider as part of the broad category of “security”. So far folks have mainly just touched on security in terms of whether the resource is protected from theft or donation. Humidity was also mentioned and I also mentioned my concern about the OMM’s maritime collection being housed in a downtown underground bank vault that could flood.
But here’s another security concern to take very seriously: fire. Virtually any place can burn down I suppose and formal libraries are not immune---the recent fire at the Brazilian national library is just one example. Dock fires are not uncommon, and I would guess the risk goes up with permanently moored boats and a workshop at the docks. Homes can burn (my cousin lost his in Redding this summer) also. Bottom line is that putting all your nuts (or books) in one basket (bookcase) at one location carries a risk that needs to be appreciated. I hear the agony in reading about single items having disappeared. Imagine if the entire collection burned, molded or sank to the bottom of the river.
Which brings me again to the benefit of keeping this collection dispersed. Yes, items and even an entire box could disappear or get donated to St. Vinnies---but that pales in severity compared to losing the entire collection in one event.
John (@Jkohnen)
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. (Isaac Asimov)

--
Dirt