Re: Library Offer - will check out !!

Hank

When I agreed to take one of the library boxes I understood that i would be responsible for mailing requested books to a person after receiving funds to pay the postage. The return postage was also to be paid by the person borrowing the book unless someone else has requested it.  In addition the books were to be kept in a safe place at my home.  I now understand there is a librarian that can coordinate the mailing part.  So far I have never received a book request.

Hank

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:59 PM Joe Novello <joenovello3@...> wrote:
Hi All,

What Cal is suggesting is certainly the "Cadillac" version and certainly the most desirable.  I'm gong to speak with the Retired Old Guy Sailing club on Wednesday and see to what level they would like to participate.  I'm pretty sure they are not going to want to be the Sergeant at Arms handling fines or tracking down and recovering missing books or handling fines, fees and/or mailing costs.  If there is an entity that can do it all, most definitely go with it.  I'm curious about what is in place now compared to what Cal's vision is.  

Joe

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:01 PM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

Good for those folks would be willing to curate the collection.  Then they would send the books to any coot who needed to look and compare some building plans, methods etc. in say Roseburg, Portland or Tacoma.  The cost of shipping paid by the renter up front, of course, and a time limit so they get back like any local library does, or pay fines as maybe a deposit on the card??  In other words, I might want to check out Bolgers book, Herrishoffs plans, and perhaps the one on rigging a dinghy right, (all of which I own) at this time.  Might want to review a plan of two, make copies of the pages and return.  There are a couple I’d like to read too, can’t remember the name, but it was on the Columbia river, who was that guy who did barges years ago and would you be able to find the copy to send out??

How much will it cost to get them, and how long can I have them??   If there is a time limit, what are the rules on that ??  Lost book charge, just in case of damage, all librarian questions that need answering for proper conservation of a book collection.  It is a ton of work, unless somebody has expertise in the field.

The curatorship is not a free way to have a local library, it is a legacy for books that may not be available on line or not replaceable in the digital age, or cost a good deal to have to buy or replace in case of water or other damage.  This is a big responsibility once it accepts the books that make up a collection.  Lon has many Rudder issues, I have some other Boating issues from the early days as mentioned.  How do you plan to deal with those security issues??

Thanks,  Cal

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2018 3:58 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Library Offer - will check out !!

The retired old guy sailing club has taken over the management of the two boathouses in Toledo. The Waterfront Recreation and Education Center (WREC Building) already has thermostatically controlled heat.  We are about two weeks away from having thermostatically controlled heat in the Andrew Linn Boatshop. We can get keys issued to anyone with a a legitimate need.  Currently there are people there on Wednesday’s. During the summer we have folks there every Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. With more volunteers we may be able to add a few more times next year.  Some of the folks with keys open the facilities other times as well. 

More information to ponder. 

Joe

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 2:32 PM lon wells via Groups.Io <lononriver=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

My Guess is that John and Jim Ballou have given the most books. One concern as someone that lived aboard for a decade. The moist atmosphere of a unheated  boat or boat house  causes problems with books and papers. But I do like the idea of the boathouse.  Maybe a small fan or light would work to reduce the moisture problem.
> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:05 PM, Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the overview. It is an interesting thread. What boat enthusiast wouldn’t perk up for this topic?
> If this process takes a little while I would like a chance to finger through the pile for a couple hours some evening.
> My 2c on the topic is that port Townsend is amazing, I very much enjoyed the festival a couple weeks ago, my first visit there. But it’s also a really long way away, has a ton of this type of stuff already. And I can rarely be bothered ordering long distance library books.
> Perhaps a middle ground where the ones port Townsend doesn’t have go up there, and the ones they have duplicates of go to Toledo, which is a place I’d visit more than once a year, and it would be nice to see that boating center flourish and expand. Multnoma seems a good option too.
> And it would distribute the knowledge a bit wider.
> Anyway. Thanks for the overview.
> -Jove, never did find the shoes.
>> On Sep 23, 2018, at 12:16 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome aboard, Jove! Did you ever find your shoes?
>>
>> The Coots' Lending Library is a collection of books, more than five banker's boxes. The original idea was that the collection would be dispersed among the Coots. If you wanted a book, you'd contact the Coot who held it and arrange to get your hands on it, then you'd hold the book until somebody else wanted it. But, Coots kept "returning" books to me, until I had five banker's boxes of them underfoot! So over a year ago we divvied up the boxes among five Coots, and got a Librarian to keep track of where the books were, but there has been very, very little acticity in the last year, and none of it through the Librarian. they system isn't working. <sigh>
>>
>> http://www.coots.org/cootlibrary/
>>
>>> On 9/19/2018 7:09 PM, Jove wrote:
>>> Hi all, as a new member,( and I love Boatbuilding no books) I’ve been following  these book library conversations, but I’m not up to speed on what the problem is we’re solving, how many books we’re talking about, what has been the historical use and arrangements of these books, etc. can somebody me give me a synopsis?
>>
>> --
>> John (jkohnen@...)
>> Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers. (Lewis Mumford)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

--

Joe Novello

Join oregoncoots@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.