Re: Library Offer - will check out !!

Hank

When I agreed to take one of the library boxes I understood that i would be responsible for mailing requested books to a person after receiving funds to pay the postage. The return postage was also to be paid by the person borrowing the book unless someone else has requested it.  In addition the books were to be kept in a safe place at my home.  I now understand there is a librarian that can coordinate the mailing part.  So far I have never received a book request.

Hank

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:59 PM Joe Novello <joenovello3@...> wrote:
Hi All,

What Cal is suggesting is certainly the "Cadillac" version and certainly the most desirable.  I'm gong to speak with the Retired Old Guy Sailing club on Wednesday and see to what level they would like to participate.  I'm pretty sure they are not going to want to be the Sergeant at Arms handling fines or tracking down and recovering missing books or handling fines, fees and/or mailing costs.  If there is an entity that can do it all, most definitely go with it.  I'm curious about what is in place now compared to what Cal's vision is.

Joe

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:01 PM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

Good for those folks would be willing to curate the collection.  Then they would send the books to any coot who needed to look and compare some building plans, methods etc. in say Roseburg, Portland or Tacoma.  The cost of shipping paid by the renter up front, of course, and a time limit so they get back like any local library does, or pay fines as maybe a deposit on the card??  In other words, I might want to check out Bolgers book, Herrishoffs plans, and perhaps the one on rigging a dinghy right, (all of which I own) at this time.  Might want to review a plan of two, make copies of the pages and return.  There are a couple I’d like to read too, can’t remember the name, but it was on the Columbia river, who was that guy who did barges years ago and would you be able to find the copy to send out??

How much will it cost to get them, and how long can I have them??   If there is a time limit, what are the rules on that ??  Lost book charge, just in case of damage, all librarian questions that need answering for proper conservation of a book collection.  It is a ton of work, unless somebody has expertise in the field.

The curatorship is not a free way to have a local library, it is a legacy for books that may not be available on line or not replaceable in the digital age, or cost a good deal to have to buy or replace in case of water or other damage.  This is a big responsibility once it accepts the books that make up a collection.  Lon has many Rudder issues, I have some other Boating issues from the early days as mentioned.  How do you plan to deal with those security issues??

Thanks,  Cal

Sent from Mail for Windows 10