Re: The pond they had at the Toledo Boat Show

Case Turner

Somewhere I have a plan for a real simple pond yacht. I’ll take a look.

One year Blake and I made a small PDR for a school Project. It sailed really nice too. Pretty sure I just printed the plan on 8 1/2 x 11 and cut out it out to use as patterns. We used 1/8” balsa for sides and frames. Lighter for the bottom and top deck.

Case

Sent from not here

On Aug 25, 2018, at 7:31 AM, Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:

I think we had a real missed opportunity with the pond at the Toledo Boat Show. First of all, I was supposed to have a submarine that I never got designed, much less finished, but beyond that, I don't think anyone knew they could use the pond. Not really, anyhow.

When I was in Paris a couple decades ago, I saw kids sailing boats on a cement pond in a public park. In fact, it was this place:
https://www.modelsailboat.com/parispondyachts.html

It should be very easy for a few of us to crank out some model sailboats - not remote control, just set the rigging and go. In a perfect world, we'd make a dozen or so of the exact same model so kids could race. In a more perfect world, we'd make a wide variety of sailboats - from junks to sloops - and let people play.

I'd bet there might even be a fundraising opportunity.

It looks like the trick is a big-ass, deep, keel about 1/3rd the weight of the boat to keep it upright.

Any thoughts on this?

--
Dirt