Re: Southern Oregon Coots

Dan

I’m thinking that for the want of an apostrophe, a regularly observed spectrographic phenomenon could quickly become something more akin to the result of a butcher employing his male offspring to operate the carcass hoist.  Hence, ”The sun’s rays meet,” transmogrifies to “the sons raise meat.”  Our oral tradition is imperiled!

In an analogous assault upon the local idiom, the navy once hired an air force reserve officer to dismantle Naval Discourse.  The result was a little paperback tome entitled “Just Plan English.”  With the advent of JPE, we were proscribed from such phrases as “subsequent to the initial,” and old standards such as “With due consideration to the aforementioned…”  The standard navy one-sentence paragraph morphed to a one size fits all.  A sad passing.

Dan