Re: [MessaboutW] Re: Yaquina "Rapid Robert"

Pat-

By "real Tom Kaarhus boat" I meant one built by Tom himself, yours is a
"real Pat Patteson boat". <g> The plans you found at the Clackamas library
sound like the same ones I found at the Eugene library. The Rapid Robert
design sounds like a much better all-around boat than the narrow-transom
McKenzie River boats, they're pretty worthless for anything but running
fast rivers, despite Don Hill's promotion of them for everything. Of course
the narrow-transom boats run fast rivers very well.

Eugene-area boatbuilder John McCallum (he with the proa at the Dexter
messabout) has designed a drift boat based on the old steamboat yawls,
which he says were among the first boats used to run the McKenzie. He built
a prototype, and reports that it worked very well, but needed two oarsmen.
Interesting stuff. I don't know if he mentions the yawl in his pages:

http://www.teleport.com/~boatshop

Scan the Depoe Bay pictures and then try putting them into a new folder in
the list's files section. Then I'll put a link to them onto my Depoe Bay
photo page. If you size the images at about 700 pixels across they'll be
big enough to view easily, then if you set JPEG to compress them to around
40K they won't take up much space and should still look good enough.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:45:36 -0000, Pat wrote:
That's the One. I think a "Real Tom Kaarhus boat." Not sure,
but also old plans I found my plans in a Clackamas Library.
Just photocopies of them. I copied them and built from them. Frames
and Ply cuts on them, but not very much detail.
I have several good pictures my Son took at Depoe Bay.
Some that are not already shown. I can scan them, but how do I get
them to the Depoe Bay page?
http://www.boat-links.com/
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what
you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. <Mark Twain>