Re: red vs. white oak, Depoe Bay and froing

antec007

Nice illustration John. Pretty much shows it all. I think I would
cut the top off the tree first, but what do I know.
I think the log has to be very green. Like the same day it's
cut. A week might make it much harder.

I don't really think it's the tools that are important.
It's those sandels.
I think Bryn has a friend in Portland that could snag him a pair,
but you guys live in Eugene, I guess he could pick up a pair
in just about any store in town.

Still haven't heard back from my "Bow" guy, but that looks like
the technique.
Split is better than sawn, and Red Oak is not good. and 6' shouldn't
be too long to split.
I've got a Fro somewhere I don't use on a daily basis. Maybe I could
mail it to him.

--- In MessaboutW@e..., jhkohnen@b... wrote:
The Vikings split the planks of their longships from oak logs. They
started
the split at the end of the log with a froe, then used wedges to
run it
down the length of the log. Then they used adzes to square up the
planks.
I'll put an illustration showing the method into the files section.

Oregon White Oak oughta work just fine for steamed ribs. I'll bet
most of
the old Northwest fishing boats with steamed ribs used it. I can't
imagine
the builders shipping in green Eastern White Oak for ribs (or
anything
else) when OWO was so handy. That hardwood mill in Roseburg can
probably
get Bryn OWO without any problems.

On Thu, 31 May 2001 17:51:46 -0000, Pat Patteson wrote:
I have not personally tried to split a 6' white oak log, but
I have a friend that makes Wooden Bows (like bow and arrows).
He works with all kind of native green woods and I am pretty
sure he would know how to do it, if anyone does. A lost art.

John <jkohnen@b...>
http://www.boat-links.com/
Self respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is
suspicious.
<H. L. Mencken>