Re: [MessaboutW] Re: red vs. white oak, Depoe Bay and froing

thoms.bryn@...

Yes, maybe we should try to add the dory event to the list of activities at
Depoe Bay. I'll tell all a bit about this.

I left my dory on the boat ramp, pulled up high and dry but not tied up. I
went to get the truck at the sea wall and bring it around to the boat ramp.
While at the seawall someone said, "hey isn't that your dory floating away?"
"uh oh". Anyway Scott grabbed the Challenger and he and I went out to bring
her home. Well this time at the boat ramp I tied her up and while doing so
realized my initial mistake, a gentle swell topped my knee boots. Ding
dong!, yeah we're on the coast now Bryn, and it may not look like waves are
coming in, but they sure were. I guess that's what happens to valley boys
like me that don't get out to the coast much.

Hey, John, this list serve is exactly what I needed to stray from work.
Good job. This is going to be like morning coffee and morning
constitutionals for me. A necessity

Thanks, Toad, for your info on Red oak, verses white oak. I have noticed
the difference at least with glueing properties between the two. So have
you actually been able to fro oak and creat decent lengths for say, ribs
about 4 to 5' in length. That sounds like a tough job. I imagine there
would be a fair amount of planing and bandsawing to clean it up.

Dorena sounds great. If we made a weekend out of it, we might be able to
make a short field trip to the Bohemia mining district, that's not boats,
but it's good history. What about Waldo? There's usually lots of wind and
always limited powerboats due to the 10 mph restriction. Gottagetbacktowork