Re: [MessaboutW] Rapid Robert Plans and Pics

Pat-

The boat looks good. I'm beginning to think that if I ever got a drift boat
a Rapid Robert would suit me better than the typical modern variety. I
wouldn't be using it in challenging whitewater, and the RR is more suited
for use on flat water with a motor. But then a drift boat isn't high on my
boat priority list right now...

Nice fish!

The plans we found in our local libraries may be by Tom Kaarhus himself,
the building instructions have sort of a proprietary ring to them, or they
might have been put together by his son. If I remember the story correctly,
Kaarhus wanted a boat for amateur construction for an article in Popular
Mechanics (or another mag of the same ilk), so he came up with the boat
that came to be known as the Rapid Robert. The name was a last minute
addition to the article, possibly at the behest of the editors, and Kaarhus
apparently never mentioned why he chose it. It would be interesting to
compare the RR plans we have to the original article. I have no idea what
the relationship is between RR and the boats Kaarhus was building in his
shop at the time, but I'm guessing the RR was probably just variation.

There have been articles in Small Boat Journal and Wooden Boat about the
history of McKenzie River boats, and Roger Fletcher has a very nice Web
page on Oregon driftboats:

http://www.riverstouch.com/double-ender.html

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:24:56 -0000, Pat wrote:
Also Pics of finished boat. The Molalla looks like it's
a little low. And My Mug, with Depoe Bay shirt.
Rapid Robert is a "Fishing Machine" espesially when
my wife Kay is aboard. She is a "Fishing Machine."
Steelhead caught on the Molalla River near Molalla, from
Rapid Robert.
How do those plans compare to the original Kaarhus boat.
http://www.boat-links.com/
I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a great deal.
If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and use oar or paddle...
they would get infinitely more benefit than by having their work done for
them by gasoline. <Theodore Roosevelt>