Re: Rapid Robert Plans and Pics

antec007

John
Those are the same plans. I dumped mine.
Text is the same too. I do remember the other detail
drawings. Just like my boat. I know those plans work.
Thanks for the update. Those are better than the originals
I found in the library.

I made very few modifications, as everything seemed to be right.
I did make my rowing thwart adjustable (ala Ray Heater)using
galvanised water pipe and flanges. Also added another set of
oar lock sockets further aft for solo rowing. I would make the
thwart less deep for and aft when I build it again. The one in
there is the original fixed one, just cut off and modified.
Detail can be seen on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MessaboutW/files/MembersBoats/Pat%
20Patteson%27s%20Boats/Rapid%20Robert/Rapid%20Robert-03-c.JPG
I also added and anchor system (again from Ray) and a block
attached to the bottom between my feet for pulling the anchor.
Forged oar locks and three 8 1/2 foot ash oars. (again from Ray)
Alway have 3 oars in a drift boat. Break one, or lose one,
and you are literaly "Up a creek". My spare stores neatly against
the inside. Never had to use it, but I'm glad it's there.

One major modification is that I eliminated most of the frames.
(He did what?) Makes for a clean "Floor".
I built mine over particle board forms and use the thwart
supports to take the loads the frames would have.
3/8 sides and 1/2 bottom with glass outside, and the very heavy
curved (box beam) of the gunwal and inwal stiffen it up.
I have not had any problems, and it has been abused.
I did knock a hole in the side when I hit a large rock, but
really not a hole, just cracked the veneer on the inside.
A little glass patch and it was OK again. Didn't even notice
it for a couple of months while I was giving it one of it's
rare washings.
Much cleaner inside without the bottom frames.

How do those plans compare to the original Kaarhus boat.

And, anybody got a guess on the vintage of the Johnson 15 on there.

Thanks again John, and if I were to build another drift boat,
it would be a Rapid Robert. Can't wear this one out though.

Pat Patteson
Molalla, Oregon

--- In MessaboutW@y..., jhkohnen@b... wrote:
Pat-

I went down to _my_ local library this afternoon and found what
they had
for the Rapid Robert, it turned out to be ten pages of poor
photocopies,
with no credit given to Tom Kaarhus. :o( The photocopies were
better than
yours anyway, the tops of frames 3 & 4 weren't cut off. <g> They
had the
plan in the reference section, so I had to copy it there, but the
library
copy machine worked pretty well, better than I expected. I brought
the
copies of the copies home, scanned them, cleaned them up, and put
them
here:

Now you don't have to force your wife to type those instructions; I
used
one of the marvels of the computer age: OCR.

Notice that I've made a BoatPlans folder in the files section for
sharing
study plans and what-not. We shouldn't use it for real, copyrighted
plans,
at least by living designers (or ones with active heirs like the
Atkinses
or Westy Farmer). I think the Rapid Robert is effectively in the
public
domain.

--
John <jkohnen@b...>