Re: [MessaboutW] The Gray Lives!

Sandy Thoms <thoms@...>

that sounds great about the one-lunger. Oh, this is Bryn at home, I doubt
my wife would spend this much time writing about boats, she thinks I'm a
nut. You'll have to get a messabout together just to show off your launch.

I finished reading the one-lunger book, "Old Marine Engines" by Stan
Grayson, It's a very interseting read, a bit long-winded when it comes to
specific histories of each company, and a bit thin on the actual mechanics
of the engine, but nonetheless, a very interesting treatise on the
one-lunger.

I have the firecracker plans, somewhere, if anyone is really interested in
her. She's a pretty small boat, but quite handy and fast for a short boat.
I'll try ti get photo of me scanned an uploaded. I have a pretty good one
on the McKenzie at Hayden Bridge on the inaugural voyage, wearing my
Springfield camo pants.

Yeah, Pat - I really think that we met years ago at Oak's Park at one of the
early riverswest boat shows. I was probably only 18 or 19 but for some
reason when we met at Depoe Bay you looked really familiar.

A quick note on wood - I found some short (<4 feet) 1 by 3 clear fir at
Bring recycling (Eugene) the other day. Not quite 15 rings per inch but
pretty dense. I snagged a bunch and may use it some day for frames for a
hard-chined skiff. It came from some interior thing possibly from the Serbu
house demo project, I try to keep track of certain demo jobs that Bring
does, that's how to get in on some of the wood before it's gobbled up.
Anyway, there's more there, including some cedar siding (8 to 12', that
might work for planking, maybe with a few extra butt blocks. If only I had
more room to store more stuff. Don't we all wish we had more storage space.
Can you imagine a shop with all the wood and fasteners just waiting to be
used, no lines at Jerry's, no driving here and there. Ok so I dream.