Re: Pat's Elegant Punt and other Ramblings

antec007

Yea, That is (I think) a twenty years ago early model
sailboard sail. It belonged to a friend of mine, and
was too cute not to put on the toad. Worked as well
as any I've tried.
I never got the "Official" Bolger small sailboat sail.
Maybe we can put yours on it, if we ever get together sometime,
and you can decide how a "Toad" sails. Do your streaching,
it's a little crouded in there.
The rudder is Bolger, and the Leeboard is to size, but
I modified it to be built of two outside layers of 1/4"
fir, and a vericle spar inside. All covered with glass.
Took as long to build as boat.
Kind of cool idea. I don't know if I have seen it anywhere,
so I guess I can sort of say I though of it. (Realy very
few "Original" ideas of anything anymore.)
Kind of like an airplane wing. Spar about 2/5 of the way
from the leading edge, so gives a NACA Airfoil (of some number)
shape to the board. Very important on a "Toad".
Idea would be great for dagger or center boards.
Very stong, and light weight, and hollow, so balast could
be poured in to put it down low where it should be.
1/2-" leading and trailing edges. Leading rounded, trailing
tapered.
"For a "Toad"?
I got a wild hair.

1'4 Luan
I can't get it any more. I have used it for years as the
backs for my cabinets, and then pick out the "Premo" sheets
to use for boat building. I went in one day to buy some,
and had to argue with the new guy there that they carried
it. Not 'till I talked to my salesman did I find out it has
been replaced at my supplier by another endangered
tropical species. I haven't tried it yet on a boat, but
doesn't seem to have all the nice qualities of luan.
I'm too cheap for marine, and Ray Heater says even the
"Marine" fir from Vanply isn't very good.
I'll just build with what I can get, and throw it away
in 25 years. I want to Wear Out a boat befor then.
"Toad" all 1/4 luan.
Rapid Robert was built with 3/8 Luan sides and 1/2 Luan
bottom. All glassed. 3 Layers of glass on bottom.
Hell for stout. Even solid luan for all solid wood.
I was thinking about naming it LouAnne, but "Rapid Robert"
is better.
My Bolger rowing dory is 1/4 luan sides and 3/8 fir bottom.
A little light, (I take that to be one of the good properties)
but curved bow gives and extra curve to plywood that seems
to stiffen it up.

Ken Swan boats
He lives about 20 miles from me, but I've never been over there.
Near Woodburn.
His boats don't look like much on paper, but ar very
Nice as real boat.
Haven't built one yet, but probaly will some time when I get
another "Wild Hair".
Want to get my GP-16/18 built when I am able.
If it is as nice as I think it is, You guys might not hear
from me again.

By the way, I don't know if everybody here reads the Bolger
posts. Kind of have to sift though the chaff sometimes,
but I saw one that really made me realize what this "Small
Boat Thing" is all about.
http://www.egroups.co.uk/message/bolger/13490

Enjoy

Pat Patteson
Molalla, Oregon

--- In MessaboutW@e..., jhkohnen@b... wrote:
Pat-

The rig in the picture in the files section doesn't look like the
standard
Bolger sail, did you eventually put together a bolger rig? I've got
Teal/Surf/Elegant Punt/Gypsy/Brick/who-knows-what else sail in my
closet
that I picked up real cheap afew years ago, I might try using it on
the
Monk skiff just for the fun of it, though that means I'd have to
put a hole
in the bottom of the boat...

Lauan is a lot easier to finish than el-cheapo fir plywood, but it's
awfully flimsy stuff. A friend of mine used it on a $200 Sailboat,
which is
a pretty lightly constructed design, and it feels like it's barely
strong
enough to hold the boat together. :o( I used lauan on the 6-Hour
Canoe, but
now I've sworn it off and will use real marine ply on the little
skiff,
it's only going to take three sheets anyway. The Elegant Punt has
quite
some curves! I used one piece fir chines and gunwales and they were
a real
b**** to wrestle into place and the grain was starting to lift on
the
outside faces when I got them into position! For that matter, the
grain
started to lift on the ouside of the AC fir ply sides too. <sigh>
I've
decided that cheap materials just aren't worth the extra effort,
especially
on small boats where you don't use very much anyway.

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:12:53 -0000, Pat wrote:
It sails about as well as you would expect.
It is much overcanvased but,the sail, rudder, and leeboard are
Boger's standard rig for many of his small sail boats.
I am plenty of sail downwind, but my shape does not
make for very good upwind performance.
I would not go to the expense, or touble to build them
again if I were building only a "Toad", but if you intend
to build several of his boats, they fit them all.
The sialing gear weighs almost as much as the boat.
cheap to build (two days building, two sheets of 1'4"laun ply,
As with many of Bolger's boats, it is designed to Look easy
to build. The shape of the sides is cut, rather than
bent, making for some faily tight compound bends in
chine and sheer. I laminaed two thin pieces for the
chine, and have a light molded piece for the gunwale.
John <jkohnen@b...>
http://www.boat-links.com/
Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful
girl and
discovering she looks like a haddock. <John Barrymore>