Re: [MessaboutW] Boat ideas

Chris-

I don't know what I was thinking last night, obviously you've already tried
something small, if not simple! <g> And apparently you liked the building
enough that you're hungry for another project! Sorry if I sounded
patronizing. Will you show us pictures of the cradle boat?

The back of Wooden Boat isn't the only place to find good boat plans. Have
you read any of John Gardner's books? They're full of good boats, with
building instructions for most (in some chapters he assumes you know how a
certain type of boat goes together, and if you've read his books you
should!). MoToR BoatinG magazine published several collections of plans,
with building instructions, from the '20s into the '60s, most from the
boards of Billy Atkin and his son John, but also from such luminaries as
John Hacker, George Crouch, William J. Deed and William F. Crosby. I've
been working on an index of the designs in the books, with a lot of help
from Doug Wilde, you can find a very incomplete version here:

http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/XLI.html

A couple of Howard Chapelle's books, Boatbuilding and American Small
Sailing Craft contain lines and construction drawings and offsets for some
very nice traditional boats, but you have to know how a boat goes together
to build them (you can learn about that by reading Boatbuilding <g>). Pete
Culler designed some beautiful small boats, and you can read about and see
them in his books, though you'll have to buy the plans from Mystic Seaport.
Mystic Seaport also sells plans by other designers, and plans taken from
boats in their collection:

http://www.mysticseaport.org/public/collections/ships.plans/planprices.html

Look for the two volumes (the flat-bottom boat and the V-bottom boat) of
Simplified Boatbuilding by Harry V. Sucher for some good flat and V-bottom
designs. Make use of interlibrary loan unless you've got lots of space for
bookshelves! <g> There are so many plans for good boats available that it's
hard to make up one's mind what to build.

As you can see, I love to read books about boats and ogle plans, it's
almost as much fun as being out on the water. <g>

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:48:38 -0700, I wrote:
My advice is to try something small and simple for your first
boat, just to see if you like building boats.
On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:17:46 -0000, Chris wrote:
I am just finishing up a Jordan Baby Tender, which is lapstrake
http://www.boat-links.com/
Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
<Craig O'Donnell>