Re: [germany-wg] [openchain-automotive-work-group] OpenChain Webinar 3 - Today (Monday) at 9am Pacific

Thomas Steenbergen

Hi,

You suggested converting the approval process into an app. I wondered whether there have been implementations of open-source tooling that does this?
Below I wrote out an example workflow, it's not a single web app as Adobe presented [1] as we always prefer to integrate into existing company’s systems to lower the threshold to user adoption.
This at a high-level is how we have automated parts of our OSS policy within our company using mostly open source tools.

== Example contribution approval app / workflow ==

For this example let's assume your contribution policy is based on Google’s Open Source patching [2] and you have stack consisting out of AWS lambda, Jenkins (MIT)[3] , JIRA, and OSS Review Toolkit (Apache-2.0) [4] and ScanCode (Apache-2.0) [5]. A simplified version of the approval app's workflow would then look something like:

1) User creates a JIRA ticket with the following fields:
- Title: what the contribution is about in a few sentences
- VCS URL: URL to clone the repository to which they want to contribute
2) User transitions the ticket from "open" to "scan" state.
3) Upon transition to the "scan" state JIRA calls an AWS lambda via a REST call.
4) The AWS lambda verifies all required data has been provided.
If OK:
=> Calls Jenkins job via a REST call that will execute a scan with OSS Review Toolkit of the master branch of repository specified in VCS URL.
If NOT OK:
=> The AWS lambda using JIRA's REST API adds a comment to the ticket with a message which data need to be provided by the user and moves ticket back to the "open" state.
5) In the Jenkins job OSS Review Toolkit using ScanCode scans the source code and its dependency and then the scan results are evaluated against a user-defined policy.
OSS Review Toolkit has Evaluator component that allows you to turn Google’s Open Source patching rules like "No review required" and "Forbidden patches" into OK / NOT OK checks.
It also support recording <package> or <package, version> approvals.
6) Once the OSS Review Toolkit scan completes Jenkins calls AWS lambda with a link to the Jenkins job
7) AWS lambda fetches results from Jenkins job, processes the results and using JIRA REST API updates the JIRA ticket.
If OK:
=> Updates ticket with a comment that contribution is OK with policy and moves ticket back to the "completed" state.
If approval is required:
=> Updates ticket with a comment that contribution requires approval and moves ticket back to the "needs approval" state and assigns it to person who can do the approval.
If NOT OK:
=> Updates ticket with a comment why the contribution is NOT OK and moves ticket back to the "denied" state.

If enough people are interested in this I can add Google’s Open Source patching as one of OSS Review Toolkit's examples and explain how it works in a future OpenChain call.

Regards,

Thomas Steenbergen
Head of Open Source, HERE Technologies

[1] https://ossna18.sched.com/event/FAO9/how-adobe-is-changing-its-culture-around-open-source-steven-gill-filip-maj-adobe
[2] https://opensource.google/docs/patching/
[3] https://www.jenkins.io/
[4] https://oss-review-toolkit.org/
[5] https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit

On 15.05.20, 08:51, "germany-wg@... on behalf of Shane Coughlan via lists.openchainproject.org" <germany-wg@... on behalf of scoughlan=linuxfoundation.org@...> wrote:

LEARN FAST: This email originated outside of HERE.
Please do not click on links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Thank you.

Let’s do the call. Perhaps next week? Then we can include it in a forthcoming webinar before/after the main speakers.

Join openchain-automotive-work-group@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.