sticky OnStep Configuration Generator

Khalid Baheyeldin

Edited

Pete,

Great points in your post.

I am also convinced that a configuration generator is a significant UX (User eXperience) improvement, and will help those who are starting with OnStep and save them considerable time and effort.

So, I wrote an OnStep Configuration Generator:

It does the following:
  • Asks for the two gear ratios, motor steps per rotation, microsteps, ...etc. (same as the spreadsheet)
  • Calculates the most important 'hard' parameters, and validates them as per the spreadsheet formulas.
  • Sets some useful parameters to enabled.
  • Leaves a lot of the remaining parameters unconfigured, as they are in the original Config.x.h file.
As of 10 Feb 2018, this generator is in sync with the current Beta (1.1.f) and Alpha (1.2.a) [both at the time of this update].

If you have a version that is earlier than 1.1.f, please download a more recent newer version.

The Configuration Generator is now online, and instructions are at the top of the page.

Here is a video demonstrating the generator step by step.

Your feedback is welcome.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 06:20 am, <pete.ingram@...> wrote:
I was wondering if a configuration program might not be possible.  Obviously it would need to be PC based and then the Mac guys will cry foul.  Oh well.  My idea was formed around the concept of the config program actually writing to configxxx.h file.  Is this viable or even desirable?

What tends to happen, at least to me, is that I get a new widget and I immerse myself in its technicalities until it works.  I then use it.  Over time I forget how I made it work.  Obviously I have drawings and notes but, even so knowledge gets lost.
So I make OnStep work and then after two years I decide to upgrade some hardware that is incompatible with the current OnSTep configuration.  I now have to re-learn how it works.  This a configuration program would be a quick and easy way to get back running again.  I realize that this may not be a direction you wish to move towards.  Again, it's just a thought.

I will test anything you guys want if I am able to do so.  I'm just about to build another couple of MiniPCBs so I should have some non-destructive (to my rig) capacity.

Join onstep@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.