Topics

Zigzag stitch on Janome 9400

Sharleen Brett

I must confess that I haven’t used my machine in a few years and I’m having to relearn everything. But I have referred to my manual so many times trying to figure this one out. I am sewing zigzag stitch M (#8) on a single layer of fabric. I am sewing on the right side and sending you a picture that shows what I get on the top side and what I get on the backside. Actually, the backside looks more like a zigzag stitch but is still very funky looking. I have played with tension and the feed balancing dial (which was way off the 0), but nothing seems to make any difference. I’m sure it’s an operator error, but can anyone offer any suggestions of what I should do differently?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Sharleen Brett

favymtz

It looks to me like you don't have your bobbin in correctly. Make sure you look at the diagram on the bobbin cover. The bobbin thread should be coming off toward the left, to look like a letter P.
Also make sure that it's in the tension of the bobbin case.
The machine will sew without the bobbin in correctly, but you get the stitches looking like yours.
--
Favymtz

blue_lak

It looks like either the bobbin is in backwards, feeding the wrong direction, or the top thread isn't under the thread guide plate at the top. I usually have to hold a length of the thread between both hands to make sure it pops under that guide plate. When all else fails, take out both threads and rethread from the beginning.
Jan in MD

Sharleen Brett

Thank you so much, Favymtz & Jan!  Since I’ve sewn on Janome machines for so many years, I guess I took it for granted that I knew how to insert the bobbin. But I absolutely had it in backwards!  My self-confidence is slowly by surely going to return as I spend more time on my machine. This online email group is such a blessing. I hope I am in a position to help you all out at some point but feel like I’ve got a lot of catching up to do!

Sharleen Brett
Cell: (817) 939-6469

On May 18, 2020, at 4:07 PM, blue_lak via groups.io <blue_lak@...> wrote:

It looks like either the bobbin is in backwards, feeding the wrong direction, or the top thread isn't under the thread guide plate at the top. I usually have to hold a length of the thread between both hands to make sure it pops under that guide plate. When all else fails, take out both threads and rethread from the beginning.
Jan in MD

Tracy

Looks like your upper tension is too loose.  When you are threading your machine, the presser foot much be in the "UP" position to open the tension disks and let the thread seat properly between them.  This is ALWAYS needed!!  So- cut your thread close to the spool (before it enters the thread path) and then gently pinch the needle and pull the thread out at the needle.  (This will help prevent getting frayed/shredded thread/gunk in your tension.... never pull your thread backwards thru your machine in other words!).  When you are ready to thread the needle- if you need more foom for your fingers you can then drop the foot, but not before.  Set your upper tension at about 4-5 and see if it's not better.

And- I don't think this is the issue- but make sure your bobbin goes into the bobbin case looking like the letter "P" with the thread coming off the left side.  It should not look like a "q".

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

Kathleen Chevalier

I'm so glad that it was a cheap, easy fix. I learned to hold the bobbin with thread dangling down. If it makes a P it is Perfect so go ahead and install it. If it makes a q, quit and turn it over. With this hint I always put the bobbin in the right way.

On Mon 5/18/2020 8:07 PM, Sharleen Brett wrote:
Thank you so much, Favymtz & Jan!  Since I’ve sewn on Janome machines for so many years, I guess I took it for granted that I knew how to insert the bobbin. But I absolutely had it in backwards!  My self-confidence is slowly by surely going to return as I spend more time on my machine. This online email group is such a blessing. I hope I am in a position to help you all out at some point but feel like I’ve got a lot of catching up to do!

Sharleen Brett
Cell: (817) 939-6469

--
Kathleen Chevalier
western Pennsylvania

Sharleen Brett

What a great way to remember the correct direction!  (Now I have no excuse to make that mistake again!).

Thanks so much, Kathleen!

Sharleen Brett
Cell: (817) 939-6469

On May 19, 2020, at 9:49 AM, Kathleen Chevalier <kathleensews@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for that, Tracy!  As it turns out, the bobbin was inserted as a “q” rather than a “p.”  But I ‘ll bet I also forgot to thread with the presser foot in the “up” position. So I’ll redo that as you suggested and also double-check the tension which I had played with but ended up leaving in the default mode.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this group! Thank you all so much!

Sharleen in Charlotte