Topics

Your opinions upgrading from MC12000 to MC15000

juliadlf.ny@...

I'm in the process of deciding whether to upgrade to the MC15000. I currently have the MC12000.
I am looking for feedback from members in the group who owned a MC12000 and upgraded to the MC15000 and
would give your opinion of features/options you've found to be an improvement from the MC12000.

Thank you
Julia

Fran

I have the 15000 and love it. However, if I knew as a newbie I would hardly be using the WiFi, I wouldn’t have spent the extra money. Since upgrading the Horizon program, I have not been able to send anything to the machine, even connecting it to the laptop.

Debbie

I had the 11K and upgraded to 12K. I hated it and a year later upgraded to 15K. I am much happier. I use the WIFI a lot. I don’t use Horizon link. I save files I want to sew to Dropbox (do editing in Embird) then send to AcuEdit when want to make. I send to machine from Acuedit with little problems. I rarely use USBs anymore.

Sue Raabe

I upgraded about 2 years ago, and very happy I did.  I like the addition of WiFi and the automatic needle threader, although it doesn’t seem to work at the moment.  It’s probably a minor adjustment, since the newer one Janome offered worked fine in the shop and after I brought it home. I’m not at all mechanical, so I’m hard pressed to figure it out after making sure the machine is threaded right.  It was a huge investment, but I’m not sorry.  I can’t imagine ever needing anything it doesn’t already have!  Good luck with your decision.

Barbara Dierolf

I brought home the 15000 about 6 weeks ago. Haven’t even touched my 12000 since Miss 15000 arrived. There are many improvements, some more subtle than others but overall it is a tremendously improved machine. I love the ruler program, the new bobbin race, the threading and bobbin winder are hugely improved. The touch screen is more intuitive. The included feet are also better and there’s more variety. I’m very glad I went with the 15000 and am planning to put the 12000 up for sale.

Barbara Kunin Dierolf

'Age is more a state of mind and less a number.'

On Apr 18, 2018, at 3:23 PM, juliadlf.ny@... wrote:

I'm in the process of deciding whether to upgrade to the MC15000. I currently have the MC12000.
I am looking for feedback from members in the group who owned a MC12000 and upgraded to the MC15000 and
would give your opinion of features/options you've found to be an improvement from the MC12000.

Thank you
Julia

Randi Kemper

-- I upgraded to the 15000 from the 12000 and I am so happy I did. It is my dream machine.
Randi Kemper
Magical Machine Embroidery

Terry Carter

I also upgraded and am very happy that I did. Our dealer gave us an excellent deal when we traded our 12000’s in.
Love this machine,
Terry in Alberta

On Apr 19, 2018, at 3:50 PM, Randi Kemper <randikemper@...> wrote:

-- I upgraded to the 15000 from the 12000 and I am so happy I did. It is my dream machine.
Randi Kemper
Magical Machine Embroidery

joan12d

I took my 12000 in for service and ended up trading in for a 15000. Very good move! I've really enjoyed many of the features.

Meryl Margolies

I can't afford to upgrade to the 15000 and am utterly happy with my 12000. I hope other 12000 owners feel the same way. I hold my head up high...lol

Have a sew-sew day,
Meryl

--
Thank you,
Meryl

onlinesewing@...

No need to apologize for wanting to keep your 12000. It's a fantastic machine. However the decision to upgrade from the 12000 to the 15000 is a personal one, which each 12000 owner will decide for herself (or  possibly himself). Whatever is right for you is the right choice.

juliadlf.ny@...

I appreciate the responses. I also love my 12000 and have owned it for 4 years but there are features on the new Quilt Maker MC15000 that I would use.
It is a hard decision and that is why I asked the question and spending time reading comments on here and also on other sites.
There are great deals to be had but choosing who to buy from is also important. A

The issue I see most often for the 15000 is the automatic needle threader (even after the fix) and thread wrapping around the bobbin
winder. Not many, but some, have expressed issues with the WiFi connectivity. Our internet routers I think are getting overworked with
all the gadgets we keep adding LOL.

When I first started looking at changing models, I looked on Ebay to see what a MC15000 used one versus new one would be. I was really surprised at how
low NEW machines were beings sold for.  I began to wonder if the original MC15000, although updated with Quilt Maker, was being phased out by dealers to
allow for the new version Quilt Maker MC15000. Seems like all the same bells and whistles as the original but maybe not.

Please do continue to post your thoughts and advice. Thanks,

Julia

Linda M Robertson

I agree, love my 12000.

Linda

On Apr 21, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Meryl Margolies <machinequilter1@...> wrote:

I can't afford to upgrade to the 15000 and am utterly happy with my 12000. I hope other 12000 owners feel the same way. I hold my head up high...lol

Have a sew-sew day,
Meryl

--
Thank you,
Meryl

onlinesewing@...

Dealers do have to clear out stock, because the demand will be for the Quilt Maker version. A dealer can update their existing pre-Quilt Maker stock, but they still will want to get to the point where they only have Quilt Maker models. Janome pushes hard for this, because they want to keep stock moving so the factories can keep running. I could make an analogy about a shark having to keep moving or it dies, but I won't. Well, maybe I just did! Sorry about that.

Sue Raabe

I couldn’t trade my 12000 - the dealer offered such a good price, and threw in so many extras, he couldn’t.  Ended up trading it for the S9 and paying the difference.  It all worked out fine, and I’m thrilled with the 15000.

Ceil J

Julia,
I've had my 15000 for almost 4 years now and never, ever had a problem with the original needle threader.  My new one only works most of the time and it's so annoying as I never had to check before to see if it did its job.  But I'm going to my dealer next week, he's wonderful, and assures me that all will be well.  As for the bobbin threader, this is a major source of irritation to me and not because it doesn't work.  Mine does work and beautifully!  But if you don't wrap the thread in the bobbin before you begin and instead get some thread under the bobbin or don't use the cutters to cut the thread (as clearly described in the video), or wrap the thread in the wrong direction,  yes you can get it caught under the bobbin.  But if you learn to do it correctly and watch at the very beginning to ensure that all is well, there's no problem.  This annoys me as I don't like how some blame Janome or the bobbin design for this "problem" when it's user error.  I have a mechanical Juki and if I wrap the thread the wrong direction around it, it won't work correctly either.
As for wi-fi, I lived in a home that had a fantastic connection and my machine and PC were in the same room so all was well.  In this house, the two are on different floors and the PC never holds its connection to the machine as it previously did plus it takes a while for my PC to "find" the machine.  We've also had a few connection problems here with other devices.  Same machine, same PC so it's the internet and not the machine as far as I can tell.  I love the wi-fi and gladly make several trips up and down stairs rather than use a usb. Plus, it's good exercise.
Sorry to go on and on.  It's a great machine and, if you have a good dealer, you should be fine with the threader.  My dealer is now almost 3 hours away and so I don't brave the icy roads to go there in the winter or I'd probably be a lot more mellow by now.
It's a great machine.  Good luck with your decision.
Ceil

Jill Kenyon

In a similar situation.  I have the 14000 and really think I won't need anything more for a very long time.  Don't think the 14000 has any upgrades available -- kind of like the red-headed step-child🤓

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Linda M Robertson <lindamrobertson7@...> wrote:
I agree, love my 12000.

Linda

On Apr 21, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Meryl Margolies <machinequilter1@...> wrote:

I can't afford to upgrade to the 15000 and am utterly happy with my 12000. I hope other 12000 owners feel the same way. I hold my head up high...lol

Have a sew-sew day,
Meryl

--
Thank you,
Meryl

--
 Write your sorrows in sand . . . .  your blessings in stone.

favymtz

I feel myself to be so blessed. I loved my 12000 so much that I didn't want to let it go when I was able to purchase the newest version of the 15000 Quiltmaker machine. I love them both. I sew on them both, and I embroider on both! I used to work in a Janome dealership and my encouragement to sewists is always to find a machine that you love and to enjoy all of the features that it has. It's always a little tricky asking opinions because everyone has different experiences and we are all unique to what our preferences are. I've never found a computerized Janome machine that I didn't like but I have favorites amongst the line up! The 12000 is still second on my list. There are functions on it that I still like the 'feel of" better than how the exact same thing functions on the 15000. Define what you think you would like to have in your machine so far as features go, look at the comparison charts, and then go for a little bit higher up to allow for growth as your experience grows. Of course, if it's top of the line that you're looking at, then you'll be looking at possible future updates that may come along eventually to expand the capabilities of the machine. But if a machine has been out for several years then it's not likely that it will be updated. That's what happened with the 12000 when Janome released the 15000 which disappointed many 12000 owners.

danlin@...

Meryll, I feel just like you. Love my 12000,
--
Lindab

Kathy Poole

I, too, had a 12000 and wanted to upgrade. I chose the 14000. A lot less money and I didn’t care about the WiFi capability.  Love it and have had no problems.

louise rademacher

I just purchased my 12000 last year's,I hope it lasts a long. Time