Topics

Windows 7

Carole O'Mara

I have just read that Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 as of January 14, 2020.  I still use Windows 7 but I back up all my designs from my computer to thumb drives.  I'm hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8 as I'd heard of problems with it.  Can I still use Windows 7 and not upgrade?

Happy new year to all.
Carole - Colorado

Lyn Quine

Yes just make sure you have a good virus and malware program on it.  There’s lots of people still using XP because the programs they use won’t work on anything later.  Just be aware that newer programs won’t work on Windows 7.

Patricia Ward

I loved Win 7 but my IT man told me Microsoft was ending support for it last June.    I needed a faster computer so I got it and went to Win 10.  I like it but I can't rave about it the way some people did.
Check to see if your computer has the capability for Win 10..  Although my IT man did say that as long as you had a virus protection and something like Malware Bytes you wouldn't need to have the updates from Windows Security and you could keep using 7.

Good luck
Pat

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 6:44 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I have just read that Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 as of January 14, 2020.  I still use Windows 7 but I back up all my designs from my computer to thumb drives.  I'm hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8 as I'd heard of problems with it.  Can I still use Windows 7 and not upgrade?

Happy new year to all.
Carole - Colorado

Jim Stutsman

Windows 8 is not what you want, assuming you could even find it. It’s done. There was no Windows 9, so the upgrade would be to Windows 10. It is not essential to upgrade to Windows 10, as your Windows 7 will continue to work. The factors you need to condsider:
  1. There will be no more updates to Windows 7 after January 14. That means that any vulnerabilities discovered after that date will not be fixed. That leaves you open to any new virus that exploits new vulnerabilities.
  2. If you use Windows Security Essentials for antivirus in Windows 7 it will no longer be updated. Any new virus may not be detected.
  3. Software is always being updated. Newer versions may require Windows 10 at minimum, so you existing software will be frozen at the latest version that is compatible with Windows 7.
If you don’t use your computer on the Internet very much you are probably OK to stay with Windows 7 for a while. At some point you will probably have to update in order to use the latest software.

Pixey

Hi Carole,

You can still use Windows 7 but newer programs will likely not run on it.  Also, Microsoft will no longer issue security updates/patches for new hack attacks. So there is a level of vulnerability if you use it much for the internet.  My father is still running a computer with XP because he has one program where the rewritten update was never publicly redistributed (it interprets his CPAP data).

I still have a Windows laptop that I sometimes use offline because it has a fast built in CD drive and works well for copying designs off of CDs and onto a USB stick to transfer to another computer.

In terms of upgrading, when you decide to do that you will want to skip Windows 8 altogether and go directly to Windows 10.  That is what I did and did not have the problems people encountered with Windows 8.  That said, Windows 10 is something of a memory hog and can slow down an older processor to a crawl.  so depending on the age of your hardware, upgrading might or might not be feasible.

Pixey

On Dec 31, 2019, at 5:44 PM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

I have just read that Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 as of January 14, 2020.  I still use Windows 7 but I back up all my designs from my computer to thumb drives.  I'm hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8 as I'd heard of problems with it.  Can I still use Windows 7 and not upgrade?

Happy new year to all.
Carole - Colorado

J Fraker

I  use Windows 10 and have had absolutely no issues with it.  I have Digitizer MBX which I use a lot and it works just fine with Windows 10.  I have some other older programs too that are still working fine.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 6:44 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I have just read that Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 as of January 14, 2020.  I still use Windows 7 but I back up all my designs from my computer to thumb drives.  I'm hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8 as I'd heard of problems with it.  Can I still use Windows 7 and not upgrade?

Happy new year to all.
Carole - Colorado

Janet Cicerano

Hello,  I'm in a similar situation with Windows 7 and spending my New Years attempting to back up my pictures and files to move to my new laptop with Windows 10.  I'm not an IT expert by any means so some of this is trial and error.
Happy New Year,
Janet

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 6:44 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I have just read that Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 as of January 14, 2020.  I still use Windows 7 but I back up all my designs from my computer to thumb drives.  I'm hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8 as I'd heard of problems with it.  Can I still use Windows 7 and not upgrade?

Happy new year to all.
Carole - Colorado

marjackpot@yahoo.com

I am still using XP on an old laptop and a PC.  I use Win7 on the other 2 laptops and have no plans to upgrade to Win10.  I will make sure the my virus program is up to date.  I do have a backup of MY Documents on a CD.  I have thousands of pics and about 7 thousand embroider files that I need to protect.  I make a new backup monthly.

Carole O'Mara

Since this is designated PC for embroidery only,  in retrospect I am not going to upgrade to Windows 10.  I  use the PC  for downloading designs from embroidery websites only and I don't digitize.  It is never used to surf the web, I do that on m MAC.  When I look for a design online, I use my MAC to find what I want, then go to the PC, log in and download the design onto it.  I do back up all my designs on a thumb drive.  I do have a security program on the PC.  Thanks to all for you advice.
Carole - Colorado

Connie

I LOVE windows 7 and I loved millennium. I HATE windows 10. Why do they keep changing ( in my mind they are worse).

Connie from Mass

On Jan 2, 2020, at 11:09 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

Since this is designated PC for embroidery only,  in retrospect I am not going to upgrade to Windows 10.  I  use the PC  for downloading designs from embroidery websites only and I don't digitize.  It is never used to surf the web, I do that on m MAC.  When I look for a design online, I use my MAC to find what I want, then go to the PC, log in and download the design onto it.  I do back up all my designs on a thumb drive.  I do have a security program on the PC.  Thanks to all for you advice.
Carole - Colorado

Lyn Quine

You could download your designs from websites to your MAC straight to a thumb drive or you could use something like Dropbox which is free, and then move it to the windows 7 laptop/pc so if that’s all you use it for it need never visit any websites, but you would need wifi to connect to Dropbox.  I download onto my iPad, and transfer using Dropbox I do need it connected to the web for that, but I don’t actually download from any websites only to Dropbox then pick it up on the windows 7 laptop and also to my win 10 PC.

Carole O'Mara

Oh my!  I never knew I could download designs on my MAC and save to Dropbox.  To test it I downloaded a free design from an embroidery site on the MAC, put it in Dropbox, saved it to a thumb drive and transferred it to the PC.  Now I don't even have to get on the internet to download designs.  Easy as could be.  So, I'll be staying with Windows 7.  You have made my day!  What a wonderful group you are.  Thank you so much.
Carole - Colorado

Cheryl Paul

Hi Carole, Happy New Year

You can save your designs directly onto the USB (thumb) drive on you Mac. You don’t need to use Dropbox for that purpose at all. I do it all the time. I do have my Mac set up to run Windows 10 via Parallels (Jim uses VMWare Fusion I think). The Windows part has nothing to do with how I save my designs when downloading from the Internet, as I choose to save everything on the Mac side of my MacBook Pro. That process just keeps my life simpler.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Carole O'Mara

Hi Cheryl,
That will make things even easier. I’m pretty much PC illiterate! Having had a MAC for so many years I don’t really need a PC except for embroidery. So, I do as little as possible on it. Thanks so much for reaching out. Happy new year to you, too.

Carole - Colorado

On Jan 4, 2020, at 12:44 PM, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

Hi Carole, Happy New Year

You can save your designs directly onto the USB (thumb) drive on you Mac. You don’t need to use Dropbox for that purpose at all. I do it all the time. I do have my Mac set up to run Windows 10 via Parallels (Jim uses VMWare Fusion I think). The Windows part has nothing to do with how I save my designs when downloading from the Internet, as I choose to save everything on the Mac side of my MacBook Pro. That process just keeps my life simpler.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cheryl Paul

Carole,

Stitch Buddy is a program that you can purchase from the APP Store.  There is a version for your iPhone/iPad and one for the computer.  I purchased it years ago and it serves well to look at designs that are on my MacBook, without opening Digitizer, Hatch or FTCU on the Windows side - those take quite a bit of time to open, where Stitch Buddy is just seconds - the picture doesn’t look like a “stitch out” but you get the general appearance.  The program also can convert designs to several different formats - not all but the common ones.  So if you can only get a design in PES for example, you can purchase it, download and then open it in Stitch Buddy and convert it to JEF.

Go here to check it out:  https://www.stitchbuddy.de

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Jim Stutsman

Two thumbs up for Stitch Buddy. It's a must-have app for Mac users.

Dotty Gullion

Was wondering what app could be used with Android? Or computer with 11000? I have software but cannot learn it.