White piece under bobbin case


Judy
 

Jim and anyone else in the know,
I have scratch grooves on the white piece that is under the bobbin case on three of my Janomes; MC6500, MC6600, and Horizon 15000.  It looks like it is held in place by one small screws.  Can this piece be easily replaced by the consumer (me)? I wonder if this causes my thread to shred.   If so, where can I get the part and what are the part numbers for each of my machines?  My local dealer (50 miles away) charges $200+ for cleaning electronic machines, plus parts and any additional labor.
Thank you in advance for and help.
Judy in WA state


Jim Stutsman
 

Yes the white plastic bit that the bobbin case rides on can cause all manner of issues. Shredded thread is one, but in sever cases it can even cause bird nests. The part is inexpensive, and it probably fits all your machines. The part number I last used is 627191000. Most dealers do not stock them, and will have to order. Google "Janome Parts" for potential sources, but none of them are likely to have the parts in stock. Price will be whatever they make it, but if you are quoted more than $5 each keep shopping.

Yes, you can remove the piece using a very small Phillips (crosspoint) screwdriver. Magnetize it first if you can. The screw is short, and small, and can easily fall into the machine. Do not ask how I know this. In addition to the screw the piece is held by a bit of glue. You don't need to replace that. Removal is simple, unless you try to save the old piece. Then it's super difficult. So FIRST make sure the replacement is correct. In all the machines I serviced it was the same, but compare closely. Once you know it's right you can just pry up the old one, breaking as needed. Putting in the new one is tricky. It won't want to go in to match the screw hole. You'll notice it has kind of a "tongue" that sticks out on the side. That goes into the large slot in the side of the hook race (piece the bobbin case sits on). You may have to distort the new piece SLIGHTLY to pop it in, but try not to bend or break it. Once it's in place, with tongue in slot, you can wriggle it around to line up the screw hole. Then use your magnetized screwdriver to carefully replace and tighten the screw. Feel free to turn the hand wheel in either direction as needed for best placement of the screwdriver. It goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway: Machine should be OFF, needle plate and bobbin case OUT, and no needle in the machine.

Curious bystanders may wonder how that little piece gets so scarred. I've often wondered that myself, as I've seen machines where it was literally cut to pieces. Obviously it's the needle that does it, so any time you get a bird nest or broken needle, that's a possible thing to look at. I used to order these 25 at a time, and replace as needed when doing a tune-up. Most dealers completely ignore it, but if you are on good terms with your dealer you might mention it to her. It's not a big dollar item, but it's another couple of bucks they could be making on a repair. Contrary to popular belief, most retired dealers are not so rich that they can afford to have Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos take them into space. Good luck!


Jayni Bloch
 

Thank you for this info Jim!

On Jan 25, 2022, at 1:47 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Yes the white plastic bit that the bobbin case rides on can cause all manner of issues. Shredded thread is one, but in sever cases it can even cause bird nests. The part is inexpensive, and it probably fits all your machines. The part number I last used is 627191000. Most dealers do not stock them, and will have to order. Google "Janome Parts" for potential sources, but none of them are likely to have the parts in stock. Price will be whatever they make it, but if you are quoted more than $5 each keep shopping.

Yes, you can remove the piece using a very small Phillips (crosspoint) screwdriver. Magnetize it first if you can. The screw is short, and small, and can easily fall into the machine. Do not ask how I know this. In addition to the screw the piece is held by a bit of glue. You don't need to replace that. Removal is simple, unless you try to save the old piece. Then it's super difficult. So FIRST make sure the replacement is correct. In all the machines I serviced it was the same, but compare closely. Once you know it's right you can just pry up the old one, breaking as needed. Putting in the new one is tricky. It won't want to go in to match the screw hole. You'll notice it has kind of a "tongue" that sticks out on the side. That goes into the large slot in the side of the hook race (piece the bobbin case sits on). You may have to distort the new piece SLIGHTLY to pop it in, but try not to bend or break it. Once it's in place, with tongue in slot, you can wriggle it around to line up the screw hole. Then use your magnetized screwdriver to carefully replace and tighten the screw. Feel free to turn the hand wheel in either direction as needed for best placement of the screwdriver. It goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway: Machine should be OFF, needle plate and bobbin case OUT, and no needle in the machine.

Curious bystanders may wonder how that little piece gets so scarred. I've often wondered that myself, as I've seen machines where it was literally cut to pieces. Obviously it's the needle that does it, so any time you get a bird nest or broken needle, that's a possible thing to look at. I used to order these 25 at a time, and replace as needed when doing a tune-up. Most dealers completely ignore it, but if you are on good terms with your dealer you might mention it to her. It's not a big dollar item, but it's another couple of bucks they could be making on a repair. Contrary to popular belief, most retired dealers are not so rich that they can afford to have Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos take them into space. Good luck!


Kathy Skagen
 

Good grief! That is expensive for a cleaning--at least in my experience.

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 12:28:23 PM CST, Judy via groups.io <judywentz@...> wrote:


Jim and anyone else in the know,
I have scratch grooves on the white piece that is under the bobbin case on three of my Janomes; MC6500, MC6600, and Horizon 15000.  It looks like it is held in place by one small screws.  Can this piece be easily replaced by the consumer (me)? I wonder if this causes my thread to shred.   If so, where can I get the part and what are the part numbers for each of my machines?  My local dealer (50 miles away) charges $200+ for cleaning electronic machines, plus parts and any additional labor.
Thank you in advance for and help.
Judy in WA state


Helen Aarness
 

Las Vegas is about $170 for my 15000. That’s a heck of a facial!


On Jan 25, 2022, at 3:39 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:


Good grief! That is expensive for a cleaning--at least in my experience.

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 12:28:23 PM CST, Judy via groups.io <judywentz@...> wrote:


Jim and anyone else in the know,
I have scratch grooves on the white piece that is under the bobbin case on three of my Janomes; MC6500, MC6600, and Horizon 15000.  It looks like it is held in place by one small screws.  Can this piece be easily replaced by the consumer (me)? I wonder if this causes my thread to shred.   If so, where can I get the part and what are the part numbers for each of my machines?  My local dealer (50 miles away) charges $200+ for cleaning electronic machines, plus parts and any additional labor.
Thank you in advance for and help.
Judy in WA state


Judy
 

Thank you, Jim, for sharing your vast knowledge with us.  I am Printing this message and on the lookout for parts.  Think I will try it first on my old 6500 before the 15000, although I would hate to mess up that machine either.
Thanks again.


favymtz
 

My white plastic thing was scratched on my 15k machine too.
It was always that way, I had purchased an "event" machine, so it was gently used.
I had to convince our service guy that I was pretty sure it was causing my bobbins to rattle!
He didn't believe me, but sold me the piece, my husband replaced it and yes!
Now the bobbins don't rattle! (ahem, unless I use a cheap non-Janome-bobbin, which I have a few of with prewound bobbin threads on.)
Which leads me to the ongoing discussions...only use true Janome bobbins, they are superior.
~favymtz

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 11:20 PM Judy via groups.io <judywentz=embarqmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you, Jim, for sharing your vast knowledge with us.  I am Printing this message and on the lookout for parts.  Think I will try it first on my old 6500 before the 15000, although I would hate to mess up that machine either.
Thanks again.


--
Favymtz


Cheryl Paul
 

Judy, I think I’d try in on the machine that “messes” up the most. That way if something goes wrong you can still sew on the others, because the one messed up might need the service technician anyway.

Cheryl - Saskatoon


SewingRose
 

Judy do you have an old non-working/parts machine in the cupboard? Or maybe beg/borrow/buy/steal one from your local marketplace group in your area, then you could do a 'practice run' on that machine without fear of doing damage to your 6500 or 15000. 

Touchwood, I've never had this problem but did copy 'n paste Jim's instructions for a future repair if/when necessary, always good to have these tid-bits in a folder, so thanks Jim.

I only use genuine Janome bobbins but when using prewounds I peel off the cardboard sides then place 'one' underneath the bobbin and this stopped rattling and any bobbin thread issues.   I also purchased some nylon washers at the hardware store (similar to Bobbin Genie's) and the have been very effective too.  Can't remember what size the nylon washers and not near my machine right now, but I had measured the bobbin case and also took a bobbin to the store as well.  As with pre-packaged hardware these days I had to buy a pack of 10 but this whole pack was cheaper than Bobbin Genie's which are not available locally anyway. 

Hope this helps?  and good luck with the repair!


favymtz
 

In lieu of using the proper Janome bobbins, I think that Sewing Rose's ideas of using a nylon washer from the hardware store, or the leftover cardboard from a prewound are also interesting ideas. Now and then I do have a Janome bobbin that is a little less smooth running.
Bobbin Genie's don't work in my Janome machines, they just fall out & end up falling down inside the machine! 
If you could find them, I wouldn't recommend wasting your dollars on them. They used to work fine on my 'other brand' machine.
Let's just use the right bobbin, and throw away any that aren't!
Favymtz

--
Favymtz


Cheryl Paul
 

Favy,

Thanks for giving the best advise EVER. If you don’t have the right part, get rid of it and get the correct one. It will pay off when all is said and done.

Cheryl - Saskatoon