What size surge procector

grandma

Hi, I am picking up my machine and software tomorrow. My husband picked up a surge protector for me. The size is 2500, is this okay?

Thanks,
Elaine

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

I'm assuming you mean he got a 2500 VA uninterruptible power supply. That would be fine. If it's just a surge suppressor (no battery), size doesn't matter. Those are good until the first surge, but they weaken with each additional surge. Unfortunately you can't tell when it has absorbed a surge, so people tend to use them for years after they are no longer effective. A battery-backed UPS will protect against surges, as well as give you time to stop sewing and power down after a power failure.