vertical spool pin

thistlebug <pegijane39@...>

Hi Jim, I wondered if you have tried the spool pin that we have to wind the bobbin as a vertical pin. I found that if you turn this upright the stem of the pin will fit in the designated spot and will accomodate quite a few different size spools as long as they aren't too tall. Hope some of you try this. Peg in FL

loreleigustafson@att.net <lore@...>

Super helpful! Thank you!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "thistlebug" <pegijane39@...> wrote:

Hi Jim, I wondered if you have tried the spool pin that we have to wind the bobbin as a vertical pin. I found that if you turn this upright the stem of the pin will fit in the designated spot and will accomodate quite a few different size spools as long as they aren't too tall. Hope some of you try this. Peg in FL

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Yep, that works - very creative! One warning, though. It would be a good idea to put something under the spool, such as a spool felt ring or the round tray that comes with the square-bottomed extra spool pin on other models. The reason for this is that the turning spool, or the label on it, will leave marks on the top of your machine over time. I saw this a lot on older machines coming in for repairs, and it was sometimes impossible to clean off all the accumulated ink and label glue.

I've put a picture of this set-up in Diane's Discoveries, although it's actually Peg's discovery!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "thistlebug" <pegijane39@...> wrote:

Hi Jim, I wondered if you have tried the spool pin that we have to wind the bobbin as a vertical pin. I found that if you turn this upright the stem of the pin will fit in the designated spot and will accomodate quite a few different size spools as long as they aren't too tall. Hope some of you try this. Peg in FL

joan12d

Wow! Such a simple solution that works! I think this machine is encouraging us to "think outside the box".
Joan

[...]

joylaytor

I've looked at the picture of this setup but still don't get what pieces are being used. Can someone explain exactly how this done? Thanks.
Joy

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The main piece is the extra spool pin that came with your machine. It's item 33 on page 3 of the instruction book. The other pieces are a small red ring of felt, included with just about every other Janome machine ever made, except this one, and what Janome calls a "tray", also furnished with many Janome models, but not this one. It's about the size of the large spool cap (item 31 on page 3), but has raised sides. Your dealer may have it, or can order it as part number 829803004.

To assemble this rig, we placed the *OPTIONAL* spool tray over the round hole on top of the machine. The felt is placed over the hole in the tray. The spool is place on top of the felt and then the extra spool holder (item 33) is placed, pin down, through the holes in the other parts and into the round hole on top of the machine.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "joylaytor" <joylaytor@...> wrote:

I've looked at the picture of this setup but still don't get what pieces are being used. Can someone explain exactly how this done? Thanks.
Joy

vicki chrobak

Jim, I just went & played around with your idea. Instead of the "tray" I put the felt & a large spool cap on the end & pushed it up about 3/4" & inserted into hole. So we have all parts that came with machine except felt which I'm sure everyone has around or can purchase at fabric store.

--
Vicki Jo