Topics

using purchased fonts

Mary E

I purchased a Papyrus embroidery font for a logo I am doing. The files were all individually downloaded (each letter has a file). How do I combine them into a word? i tried importing them to my 1500 as separate files figuring I would combine them as one pattern but the group key doesn't light up and even though i've saved each letter into a file on the Janome, when I open the file, nothing is there.
Help please
Mary Eckstein

Cheryl Paul

Mary

It sounds like you have purchased the whole alphabet as individual stitch files in the JEF or other format.  That is not considered a “font” in the sewing machines language.  You got what you thought was a whole alphabet and maybe characters too, that you could make a set of lettering that would combine into a font like “Ariel” or “Courier” that typists use to create documents for printing.  To be able to do the “typing” kind of stitching you are trying to achieve you would have to use your “edit” screen on the sewing machine and add each individual letter to make a word.  This only works if the letters are not to large to fit on the screen.  You can use your largest hoop and place the letters vertical if needed and drotate each letter to what appeals to you.  Then you can save that file , give it a name and you’ll have it for future use.  There is no way that you can make an alphabet file with what you’ve purchased.

If you have digitizing software, such as Digitizer Version 5 (or earlier versions), you could use the fonts available in it and the “True Type” fonts will work as well, but may need some fixing if they are narrow lettering – the ones in the program itself are best though.  To add more fonts to the True Type, I’ve downloaded free fonts from http://www.dafont.com.  You’ll want to have some time if you do that because there are hundreds and hundreds to choose from.  You download them and then they need to be installed on your computer.  They then go into your computer’s font list and should show up in the Digitizing software to use like any other lettering you wish to do.

When I’ve purchased and downloaded fonts like I think you did, I usually just want one letter to start a word i.e.:  to start a name to put on a project I’m making.  I have 13 grandchildren and they love to see their names appear on something.  Hope this helps you a bit to get your project going.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Joyce Daniel

Mary,
I do this often but it needs to be done thru your embroidery software as each letter is viewed as a design. So, each letter needs to be added individually. A slow- go but you get a custom piece. ( Fonts used must have been digitized for embroider. A font from your computer will not work to embroider on your machine)
I first unzip each letter and dst it in Buzz tools which is what my Embroidery Magic 2 software requires. These are both lower end softwares but I like them and do they do what I need. I'm thinking any software will do this.
I then load each letter individually into EM2 and place it where I want it. Same for next letters. You can also add designs w your letters.
When it's like I want, I save it and Jef it in Buzz Tools so it can be embroidered.
Where did you find the Papyrus font? I embroider the inserts for The Lydia Project and would like to do the Faith, Hope, and Love in this font.
Please LMK if you have more questions.
Joyce in GA
mdaniel@...

Joyce Daniel

Mary, I do this a lot but you need to do it in your embroidery software, one letter at a time.
Slow go but you're treating each letter as tho it were a picture, etc.
I use Buzz tools first to unzip and dst each letter as that is what Embroidery Magic 2 (my embroidery software) requires.
I bring in each letter into EM2, place it as I want and go back and get another one. Save every now and then, if it's a big project.....just in case your computer goes wonky. The finished wording gets saved and then changed to Jef in Buzz Tools so I can embroider it out.
Where did you find your Papyrus font? I have wanted this font for a long time and have never found it. I embroider the inserts for The Lydia Project and would like to do the Faith, Hope, and Love in this font.
LMK if you have other questions.
Joyce
mdaniel@...

Mary E

Thanks for the help. I ended up putting it together in Horizon Link. It was fairly easy and stitched out nicely! Once I figured out that each letter was a design unto itself, I clicked on design and it went quickly.
Mary

On Thursday, March 1, 2018, Joyce Daniel <mdaniel@...> wrote:
[...]

I have emailed you with info on this topic 2x but my emails are either deleted or are not coming thru.
Sorry.

Mary E

It’s maryputt2@....   Thanks for the attempts, hope it goes through this time!