USB stick 550e

Tericloth

Hello, I have a Janome 550e(which I love), when putting designs on the USB stick, is there a guideline? I just started doing ITH projects, seems the machine does not read all of the hoop changes in the pattern?

Pixey

You will need to put the designs in the EmbF folder.  I am not sure what you mean when you say “the machine does not read all the hoop changes in the pattern”.   Do you mean different sizes? If so the machine will display the files in order of their required hoop size, with each hoop on a different page. So if part of the project needs a larger hoop, you may need to page forward to see the other design files.  If this happens, you are going to want to use the hoop that accommodates the largest part of the design.

I have encountered this with some Kimberbell designs where you get a crosshair design for lining up a blank, but it shows up for the smaller square hoop where the rest of the design requires a larger rectangular hoop, so it is on subsequent page displays.  But when I pull up the crosshair design, I have to go in and edit the hoop selection to put it in the larger hoop so it is in the correct place when I bring in the larger design to stitch out.

Also, you may want to check the embroidery field.  One drawback of the 500/550e series is that the largest hoop widths (200mm = 7.87”) are just a little bit less than the 8” width used by a lot of commercial designs. In which case the machine will not display the design because it exceeds the size of the hoop.  Sometimes you can get around this by opening the design on your PC (using the editor software that came with the machine) and reduce the size by just enough to let it fit in the hoop (then resaving it under a new name).  For ITH projects, this can be a little trickier and you will usually have to resize all parts of the design by EXACTLY the same amount.

Pixey

On Sep 3, 2021, at 10:12 AM, Tericloth <tericloth6@...> wrote:

Hello, I have a Janome 550e(which I love), when putting designs on the USB stick, is there a guideline? I just started doing ITH projects, seems the machine does not read all of the hoop changes in the pattern?

Tericloth

Thank you for these helpful hints!! Have not given up!!! Lol

[...]

Pixie, you are a genius!!! Thank you, I never thought to look at hoop sizes etc, figured if they were selling it as a Jeff, it woulfit my machine, new lesson of many needed learned today!! Thank you!

[...]

Thanks for the compliment and I am glad to have helped solve your mystery.  At this point, the largest possible hoop on a Janome embroidery machine is the GR hoop on the 15000, which has an embroidery field of 230mm x 300mm (or 9.1” x 11.8”).  So most commercial sources will go ahead and provide JEF versions of the designs up to through this size.  And in some cases they even provide a JEF version of larger designs, even though there is not currently a machine to stitch them out without resizing them in software.

Personally, I really hate the way commercial digitizers will describe a design in terms of hoop sizes (associated with a particular brand than begins with “B”) instead of telling you the required stitch field.  I have 3 different Janome embroidery machines, which all have differently proportioned hoops.  This is where the software can be really helpful.

Pixey

On Sep 4, 2021, at 7:38 PM, Tericloth <tericloth6@...> wrote:

[...]

Kathy Strabel

Tericloth---This response does not apply to your query about using  the USB stick. Rather, it has to do with your MC550e embroidery machine. I have the model just before yours, the MC500e and it does a very nice job.  Does the Owner's Manual for your model say that you should oil the 550e once a month or so, depending on useage?  If so, have you run into any problem accessing all the parts that need oiling? I ask this because my 500e has a cover on the left side, which is called the thread cutter cover. This cover needs to come off in order to expose the workings underneath the needle plate  so they can be oiled. I have done this in the past. The initial removal of the cover was extremely difficult, as the screw holding it on is actually located deep within the machine and you have to insert a screwdriver into a hole on the bottom of the machine. The visibility in this hole is very poor; I cannot see a thing even with an LED flashlight. You're supposed to just insert the screwdriver and hope to find the screw head to remove it. I don't even recall how I initially did this. I left the screw out of the machine to make it easier to oil in the future.   However, my machine has been at the repair shop recently, and they evidently added that screw back into the machine.  I have a post pending to this Janome Group on IO, but I thought I might reach out to you to see if the newer model (yours) also has this problem, and how you went about resolving the problem. I am hoping to avoid yet another trip to the dealer just to remove a screw.   I do not do many ITH projects so I cannot offer any advice in that arena.     Thanks, Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Tericloth

Yes, I was following your post, I know, after a few trials, you accomplished the task. Yes have to oil once a month, which if I had known, not sure if imwould have chosen this model. I have a long screw driver, I have my machine counter height, so it is easier to work with. Once you have the right size screwdriver it is much easier.

[...]

Lindsey Palmer

Hi Pixey,

I am having a problem with a design not showing up as you have stated in the last paragraph of your email below. You also mention “using editor software that came with the machine” and unfortunately, mine did not come with that disk, which at the time I bought it wasn't a problem because my computer doesn’t have a disk drive,  so now I need to find a place to download that software in order to complete my project. The design is such that it will fit easily in the RE36b hoop if I rotate it 45 degrees. The only software I have at the moment is Stitch Buddy (free software) and Embroidery Tool Shed (that I purchased but haven't found to be very useful).  Any suggestions?

Lindsey

On Sep 4, 2021, at 10:51 AM, Tericloth <tericloth6@...> wrote:

[...]

Cat - N

Lindsey,

I have a different machine than you, and a disc drive in my computer, and I have additional software…but the software that comes with each machine is good to have. The editor disc also includes the driver for direct connection to the machine from the computer…again, good to have.

If you didn’t get the embroidery editor disc with your machine, perhaps you can contact your Janome dealer for the software…perhaps on a USB drive instead.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

Pixey

Hi Lindsey,
I think you should be able to do what you need to do in StitchBuddy. That said, I do have the $9.99 upgraded Pro version on my iPad, not the free one.  So if the design you are trying to rotate and save is more than 1000 stitches, your free version may not work.  You don’t say whether you are using it on an iPad or a Mac.  If it is on the iPad (which I have) bring in the design, then click on the little wrench looking tool on the upper right of the screen.  That should open a menu that has rotate as a selection about 1/3 of the way down.

Since the 550e does not have WiFi capability, the tricky part is then getting the rotated design back over to the USB.  I use an iCloud file folder folder to move it between my PC and iPad (or I think Dropbox would work as well) and then save it from my PC (using the iCloud app) to my USB drive.  I would also suggest contacting a dealer or Janome to see about getting a copy of Embroidery Editor since it was not included with your machine.  They may can send you a link to a downloadable version.

Pixey

On Sep 22, 2021, at 1:55 PM, Lindsey Palmer <lindseypalmer2000@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Cat,

Thanks! It would definitely be good to have the software but I am finding that difficult to track that down, even through the “official” Janome site, but I will keep at it.

I am finding that my local dealer is reluctant because I didn't buy the machine from him even though he didn't have the 550e available last year.

And so it goes…

On Sep 22, 2021, at 12:29 PM, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

Lindsey,

I have a different machine than you, and a disc drive in my computer, and I have additional software…but the software that comes with each machine is good to have. The editor disc also includes the driver for direct connection to the machine from the computer…again, good to have.

If you didn’t get the embroidery editor disc with your machine, perhaps you can contact your Janome dealer for the software…perhaps on a USB drive instead.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

Lindsey Palmer

Hi Pixey,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have both a Mac and and an iPad but do my embroidery stuff on my Mac almost exclusively as it sits right next to my machine.  I will update Stitch Buddy and give that a try right now, and will let you know how I do.  I will also continue to track down the proper software, disc or download.

Thanks again,
Lindsey

On Sep 22, 2021, at 1:05 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

[...]

Well,  I am unable to find an app for Stitch Buddy Pro for my Mac desk top other than a $49.99 version which there is no initial trial period to see if it will do what I ned it to.

A search of the apps for my iPad only comes up with something called StitchBuddy HD which is the free version and also does not show a wrench or a way to change the frame size.   Also, there is no “Pro” version on their website.  So…once again I am confused and frustrated that unless I buy the $50 version I will not be able to even check to see if I can change the frame size.  Pixey, how long ago did you buy your $9.99 “Pro” version that shows a wrench in the tool bar?

[...]

On the iPad, you have to buy StitchBuddy from the App Store, not the StitchBuddy website.  It is initially free but will only work with stitch files of less than 1000 stitches.  To work with larger files, you can do an upgrade within the app for $9.99.  Unfortunately, it was several months back that I did this.  If you move the design file to the files app on the iPad, then I think you still have to export or copy it over to StitchBuddy.

Pixey

On Sep 22, 2021, at 5:12 PM, Lindsey Palmer <lindseypalmer2000@...> wrote:

[...]

SewingRose

I use Bernina Artlink 8 which is a free download  https://www.bernina.com/en-AU/Software-AU/Embroidery-Software/BERNINA-ARTlink-8  I've never owned a Bernina embroidery machine but it has Janome format and hoop sizes.

I just had a quick search and apparently you need Apple Boot Camp, but I can't help with that as I don't own or use Apple products either.

Hope this helps and you can at least try it before outlaying $$.

Cheryl Paul

I have StitchBuddy on both my MacBook Pro laptop and on my iPhone, and iPad. I’m not sure that it will open files that are JPX. I’ve contacted Mattias about this but I’m not sure if he has done a update to this. I just opened my program and I can open a JPX file, but need to “save as” JEF as it doesn’t appear that I can save a JPX in Stitch Buddy, but that doesn’t matter as your machine will read the JEF file just fine. I’ve owned Stitch Buddy for many years and is wonderful as I can open my designs easily to look at them and edit them if necessary right in my MacBook and don’t need to go over to the Windows side to do minor adjustments or just see the design. It’s worth the $50 to have it, if you can afford it along with other expenses that we all have.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Mattes

Let's shed some light on the StitchBuddy piece - as there are some topics addresses and questions asked:
  • There are two StitchBuddy versions for Mac and iPhone/iPad with very similar (but not identical) features; a design can be rotated with both apps
  • Both versions are offered as free trials in Apple's App Store, only restricted when saving modifications = limited to designs with max. 1,000 stitches. This limitation can be removed within the apps ("In-App purchase") for USD 9.99 resp. USD 49.99
  • JPX files can be read, but not written by StitchBuddy; not a serious limitation as JPX files are just including additional background images (which will be ignored when importing), and all Janome machines accept JEF files - Jim, please step in to add anything significant :)
  • To rotate a design (or a part of it) relevant stitches need to be selected, first (e.g. with the menu command "select all"); then rotations by 45 degrees or individual ones are available in the "Design" menu on macOS or "Tools" menu (little wrench) on iOS; there is a dedicated "hoop" menu with numerous Janome hoops to select from
  • To transfer a design directly from your iPad to a USB stick, Apple's "Files" app becomes handy: You can copy files from StitchBuddy's repository directly to the stick; depending on your iPad and the stick this might require a Lightning-USB (female) adapter aka "Lightning Camera Adapter"). Here is a video tutorial showing the transfer process: iOS 13 Integration
Don't hesitate to ask further questions - transparency note: I'm the creator of StitchBuddy...

Greetings, Mattes

Jim Stutsman

As they say in Munich, "Ja, das stimmt." Yes, that's right. I can only add that if you use a Mac or iPad, you should have StitchBuddy. It's great software.

Cheryl Paul

Thanks Mattes,

I was hoping that you were following along on this topic and really glad that you jumped in to give us a very good explanation of everything. I have so many digitizing programs, that I really only use yours for “looking” at my designs quickly, and I’m so glad that I have it. You and Jim are so helpful and creative to keep us going on our embroidery and sewing journey (Diane you’re included in this).

Happy sewing everyone.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Pixey

Hi Mattes!  I was hoping you would catch up and chime in with better explanation that I could provide.

And I learned something new!  I have been really busy with some things the last few months and not done much machine embroidery lately.  But  I just checked it out and the new quick display feature that lets me see the designs in the Files app is terrific.

Also, I was not aware of the ease of managing a zip file or transferring a design to a USB from the iPad.  I have GOT to get one of those adapters you are referencing.  It will make me much happier with my 500e lacking WiFi capability.  Did you get it from Apple or a 3rd party source?

Thanks!

Pixey