Topics

USB

Cynthia Dickerson

I apologize, I do have one more question.  When we remove the USB from our Janome machines, are they any steps?  Can we remove it when the machine is turned on?   Should we turn the machine off first?  Do we have to go into any kind of settings to remove it?  Just thought I should know this.  Thank you!

Jim Stutsman

You may have noticed an icon of a USB drive with a slash over it appear on the screen of your machine. Typically it is only there for a few seconds. Once it goes away you can safely remove the USB drive without doing anything else. Also when you open a design, once it goes to the Ready to Sew screen it has been copied from the USB drive into the machine's memory. At that point you can remove the USB drive, again making sure the DO NOT REMOVE icon is not showing.

Lyn Quine

Jim is it a good idea to put a hub on the USB port?  From the point of view of continually inserting and removing the USB so you put wear on the hub rather than the machine?  I’ve read on other forums that the USB connections being so low down pulling out the USB could damage the connection if not pulled out straight and level, or is that being a bit over the top.

Jim Stutsman

Actually that's an excellent question. Twice in my time as a dealer I had to replace the USB section of a Memory Craft 11000, which was top of the line at that time. It's not so much repeated plugging/unplugging that does the port in, so much as having that thing stick out rigidly. The "guts" of a USB port are essentially a bit of plastic with 4 metal traces on each side. If the plastic piece gets broken the metal become un-bonded and the port is useless. A hub though is overkill. What works very well, and is in use on both of the USB ports on Diane's 15000, is a 6" USB extender cable. They are very cheap, and also provide flexibility for moving around the USB drive without damaging anything.

Lyn Quine

Thanks Jim that makes sense.  I’m off to either find or order and USB extender cable/s

Judy

Jim, what type of USB extender should I get? 2.0 or 3.0?
Thank you for all of the support you provide us.
blessings, Judy

Jim Stutsman

The machine is USB 2. Either type 2 or 3 will work.

Lyn Quine

Thank you