Upper thread tension very loose on mc15000 and not sewing

Melanie Dumas

My machine was serviced at Janome headquarters this year and was working ok for awhile, but now I'm experiencing a lot of loose upper thread. After threading and rethreading the machine and sewing for about an inch I keep getting an error message telling me to rethread the machine. I am at a loss and I don't want to keep bringing my machine in for a simple fix if there is one. Can anyone please explain what I'm doing wrong?

Jim Stutsman

This type of problem is sometimes caused by thread debris getting caught between the tension discs. That holds them open, so you can’t get proper tension. You can probably fix it by following these steps:
1. Lock the machine. That opens the tension discs.
2. Take a narrow strip of fabric and fold it in half. Put the folded edge in the tension slot at the top of the machine and work it back and forth like dental floss.
3. Thread the machine all the way, but stop before threading the needle.
4. Unlock and sew a couple of stitches, then stop, leaving the presser foot DOWN.
5. Pull on the free end of the thread. You should feel resistance. If you do, thread the needle and go. Otherwise repeat from step 1.

If that doesn’t solve the problem you’ll need dealer assistance, but it should not require going back to Janome.

Virginia

When you thread be sure that once you pass the thread through the top (before you bring it down)pull it towards you so it will get under the tension. In fact you will feel a little tug or snap and then you can continue to thread.  That way you know it is under the lite metal piece that it goes under. Hopefully zi am explaining this clearly.  Virginia

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.

My machine was serviced at Janome headquarters this year and was working ok for awhile, but now I'm experiencing a lot of loose upper thread. After threading and rethreading the machine and sewing for about an inch I keep getting an error message telling me to rethread the machine. I am at a loss and I don't want to keep bringing my machine in for a simple fix if there is one. Can anyone please explain what I'm doing wrong?

Lyn Quine

It could be the sensor, there’s one near the tension discs, but if the top thread is loose perhaps there’s fluff in the tension discs, give it a brush through or run a bit of lint free cloth throu the tension discs, slowly and carefully

Melanie Dumas

Thank you, I’ll try it.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 9:21 PM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
When you thread be sure that once you pass the thread through the top (before you bring it down)pull it towards you so it will get under the tension. In fact you will feel a little tug or snap and then you can continue to thread.  That way you know it is under the lite metal piece that it goes under. Hopefully zi am explaining this clearly.  Virginia

Melanie Dumas

Thank you for the information. I knew that there was something with the tension but I just couldn’t think of how to fix it. I’ll give it a try.