Upper Thread Sensor on 500e

Kathy Strabel

Hello again,
Am I correct is thinking that if the upper thread breaks while embroidering, the machine will stop and give me a warning on screen that the thread has broken or otherwise  is not performing as it should?   I could swear that would happen when my machine was pretty new. But lately, I have had the thread shred and / actually break a couple times and the machine just keeps stitching along with no thread in the needle, and no pop-up notice on the screen. In the Settings window, the item marked "Upper Thread Sensor" is turned ON. I turned it off, waited a bit, then turned it back on. But no change.   I have attended to the obvious--new needle, holding threads out of the way when starting, etc. But occasionally I turn away from or go to another part of my studio room, and have come back with the needle running but no stitches because the thread broke 3 minutes ago!! Frustrating.   Is the upper thread sensor failure something that the dealer must fix? If so, any iea what the cost would be for the part?
Appreciate any comments
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Dottie Newkirk

Hi Kathy - It's possible that the thread sensor might need adjusting - your dealer would be the only one to troubleshoot that for you.

Sometimes my thread has started shredding BUT, as long as the sensor still "feels" the thread, the machine will continue stitching even when there is little to no thread in the needle. Dottie in Texas

[...]
https://www.avg.com

valora hammond

If there is still tension on the thread the sensors won’t detect a break.  That means if the thread has shredded, it won’t be detected. Or if the thread is caught in the take up lever it won’t be detected.

On Sep 27, 2020, at 6:08 AM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

[...]

Lyn Quine

It could be your thread is getting caught up around the spindle, if you are using small cones on the horizontal spindle they can get caught behind the cop (small cone) and once caught it will get tighten until the thread breaks. With the cops it’s best put run them off a thread stand at the back of the machine rather than a horizontal spindle, you get less twist in the thread, which in itself can cause a knot and break.  Thread does shred sometimes, often because the eye of the needle has a burr possibly because of previous breakages.  Even if a needle is new out of the box it can be blunt, bent, or burred, doesn’t happen often but can happen.

Roberta K

Oh Kathy, it sounds like you are going through 500E boot camp or 500e hazing. I have seen both issues happen. I have learned not to walk away from my machine while it is running. Also, If I have a thread break (either one) I look underneath the bobbin case and around the thread cutter to see if there are any threads caught in those areas.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue quickly.

Roberta in FL