Updating to Windows 10

cnystul in Mn.

I'm going to be updating to Windows 10. I'm wondering with my software for my 12000 and 11000 will I be having problems with them installing on my computer? Is there anything I should be doing in advance? Thank you! Cathy

Jim Stutsman

You'll have to reinstall your machine software after updating to 10. You'll need the original CDs to do this. Here's what I would suggest:
  1. Make a full backup of EVERYTHING to an external disk drive. If you don't have one, you can get a USB drive for around $100. If your computer does not have USB 3 (which is likely if it came with Windows 7 or earlier) you'll want to do this overnight. USB 2 is slow. If you don't have backup software, I recommend this.
  2. Once you have upgraded, open the Windows Update manager and get any updates that you don't have. Depending on how old your Windows 10 installer is, there will be a lot. Patches for Windows vulnerabilities come out every Tuesday. This could take a while, have something to read or a TV to watch while you wait.
  3. Now you can install your Janome software. Since the CD version is old, you'll need to download and install updates. For Horizon Suite get this. Customizer 11000 needs this.
At this point you should be ready to go. However, unless Janome had a change of heart, the 11000 will no longer connect to your computer via USB cable. The driver needed for that only works on 32 bit Windows, and they did not (that I know of) update it for 64 bit. You will still be able to move designs via USB Flash Drive though. Depending on the age and capabilities of your computer, it may be slow. Increasing RAM and replacing the hard drive with SSD may help, but the cost to do that may approach the cost of a new computer. So before you start you may want to look at that. Having 8GB or less of RAM could be a problem, and a hard drive that is 3 or more years old is just about at end of life anyway. Of course you may be planning on a new computer as a means of updating. I recommend 16GB or more of RAM. The "hard drive" should be SSD (Solid State Drive). This adds a bit to the price, but is worth it for the speed. SSD lasts longer than a spinning "platter" hard drive, but they eventually wear out. Each memory cell has a maximum number of times it can be written before it quits working. This wear is spread out over the entire drive, so buying more storage than you need will also extend the life of the drive. <Begin cynicism> Of course like everything else that is sold today, computers have become disposable, so there's no advantage in buying the top of the line. The tech continues to evolve, and at some point our grandchildren will be forced to contend with gigantic mounds of e-waste from all the old, dead computers. <End cynicism>

Marlyn

I am wondering if I am in the same boat.  I bought a new computer with windows 10 and 64 bit.  I have the 12000.  Will I be able to use the USB cable to connect to the computer?
Thank you,
Marlyn

Jim Stutsman

You shouldn’t have any problems. Install the 12000 software from the CD/DVD that came with the machine. Then download and install this update.

Marlyn

Thank you…
Marlyn

Shirley Taylor

I have new computer with windows 10 when my XP one died.\, and I can not connect my Janome 10001 machine to it.  Tried to get help earlier and no success.  Had no intentions of purchasing a new machine , so it sits here unused.  I used it at first. Would   download designs and transfer them to the older computer that a high schooler fixed and reinstalled the programs,  But Microsoft said was obsolete and did not support anymore, so I could not get virus protection to go on the internet.  I used a card reader to put the designs onto the card that had to go in the machine .  Too much to mess with and I loss interest.  It was interesting that two repair shops could not fix the computer and this kid  did it one afternoon using a part he had.    Too sad for me he lives in southern California and I northern.

I really do not have room for two computers in my sewing room but I thought about bring the old one that still works great to see if I can connect to the sewing machine once I save the designs to the computer.  I had started a quilt and have it about two thirds finished and would like to complete it.

Life goes on, way faster than I would like.  And as much as I use the internet, still do not understand how it works so it is not easy for me to understand what solutions I get for problems is telling me to do.

Thanks for letting me ventilate.

Jim Stutsman

The reason you cannot connect your 10001 to Windows 10 is because there is no Janome driver for Windows 10. About the time that the 11000 was coming out I specifically asked one of their engineers if there would be a USB driver for the then-current Windows Vista (shudder!). He said no, not going to happen. You can still use the USB flash drives because the driver for that comes with Windows, but the machine USB driver is unique and must come from Janome. Except it won't.

Cheryl Paul

Shirley,

I had a 10000 Sewing machine, when it was about half way through it’s cycle before the 11000. I never, ever plugged the cord into the machine and to the computer via the USB cord and my computer and sewing machine occupied the same corner of my sewing room. I didn’t find that I needed/wanted another cord hanging about my legs. However, it was very easy back in those days to obtain the PCMCIA cards and adapters then as well. IF you have some of these treasure them and guard them with your life, as they aren’t easy to find these days. I always used them with both my 10000 and my 11000 as they loaded up quickly and saved enough designs to stitch out any embroidery that I needed. You could try that with your 10000 and you might find that it is a nice way to get what you need. It does require an extra step or two but it is worth the effort.

You will also find that your software - Customizer might not work on your new computer either, so if your old computer is still useable, it might be the option you need to sew and embroidery to your hearts content. You might want to dedicate the computer to use “just for sewing” to preserve its lifetime.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Marlyn

Hello Jim:
I was wondering if the USB stick will work on the 12000 if the Horizon Link disk has NOT been loaded on my new Windows 10 computer. (64 bit).  Does the Horizon Link software  have to be loaded in order for the USB Cable  or a USB Stick to work?
I have been working on a design in MBX but the design does not appear when I bring up the Embf file on the USB stick.  I spoke to my dealer but he thought the stick could be bad.  Now, I am using a new USB stick and I can see the file and the design on my computer but the design does not come up when put in the 12000 USB port.

Thank you,
Marlyn

Jim Stutsman

Horizon Link is not required. As long as the design gets put on the USB drive you can use it in the 12000. However when the stick is first put in the machine it opens the folder EmbF, which is inside folder EMB. If your design is inside a different folder you won’t see it. You can use the arrows on the screen to look at different folders on the USB drive. Janome wants designs to be in folders, and this folders should be inside EMB. Designs should be no more than one folder deep. For example EMB -> EmbF is fine, but EMB -> EmbF -> MyFolder is not.

Shirley Taylor

Too bad for me,  I  may try to complete the quilt or just leave it as is.  I  never really understood the programs with the machine and
was not so interested in doing a lot of embroidery.  Much rather use the 6600 that cuts the thread.  I also have a 7500 that I use a lot.  It is easier to use and works well for me.  It is more difficult for me to manipulate fabric with the electronic machines than the Singer 301 that I use sometimes.  Thanks for the information.
Granny