update: 10000 & Compact Flash Card

mah_jongg

Highlights from thread dated Jun 6   #30463

Compact Flash card when inserted into machine gives me this message: ATA PC card Memory error  / Fat error in card  / Do you want to format?
Have reformatted it on the machine and on my computer too many times to count. Here's where it gets funny: If there are designs on the card I get this error. If no designs on card, the folders show up on the machine.

Went to friends house and interchanged the ATA Cards / Compact Flash between hers & mine. Here are the results:
Cannot write, card might be write protected and the Fat Error. The worst of it was when we were all done I put her card back into her machine and the Fat Error came up. We shut off the machine then turned it back on. Same message. So we shut the machine for about 5 hrs.  I turned her machine on then still got the the Fat Error reformat message. Came home and put both cards in my machine (also mixing them up) and it did not work. Got message Memory card Error, want to delete damaged data. Her card has always worked in may machine even though my would not work. After pressing error message 3 times (with her card) the AJ folder was listed at the top of the screen. My card said EmbF5. Just added  designs to card and reinserted into machine and this time it said “cannot use card”.  Any idea why this is happening especially to my friends machine. Thought about buying a new reader and flash card to see what happens.  Its just doing to many weird things. 10000 card reader works just fine. Any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks,

mahjongg

Jim Stutsman

These errors indicate that data is getting scrambled on the way into the machine. If the same thing happens on your friend's machine as on yours, and she wasn't having trouble with her card, then we can assume the problem is either in the Compact Flash card or the ATA adapter that is used to plug it into the machine. If I understand correctly, and a known-good card from your friend fails using your adapter, then the adapter is likely the problem.

mah_jongg

Any idea why her machine would suddenly give us the "Fat Error reformat message" after playing musical chairs with the adapters & cards. Did my flash card or ATA adapter then ruin hers? If I need to replace her ATA adapter & Flash card I will.

thanks,

mahjongg