Unintended consequences - how good deeds can lead to multiple surprises

Jim Stutsman

So for those of you following along at home, I'll recap. Recently someone asked how they could purchase the videos for the 12000, since Apple removed the app. Searching the vault of treasured trash in my office, I uncovered a stash of "leftover" DVDs containing those same videos. Rather than send them to a landfill, I offered them up here for free. A surprisingly large number of people responded. Here's what happened next:
  1. I searched for DVD mailers, but found none in our hoarding stash, er "collection".
  2. Ordered 25 mailers from Amazon to get the lowest cost.
  3. After a number of days the mailers arrived by USPS, my least favorite method of shipping. (But it's also the cheapest!)
  4. Opened mailers, removed one, and inserted Discs 1 and 2.
  5. Discovered to my horror that Disc 1 was the ONLY copy on the spindle. The remaining 40 or so were blanks.
  6. Decided I would have to burn DVDs, returned to the hoard, er "collection" in search of stick-on labels. Found a package, searched for software to print them. Not found.
  7. Decided to go non-professional and just write on the DVD with a marker. Hey, they're free, right?
  8. Went to burn the first one and discovered that they are NOT blank DVDs, but in fact are blank CDs. Which do not hold enough data for the videos.
  9. Remembered in my excursion through the archives seeing a folder made for putting both discs on a single USB drive. Found it, checked it, and it does work.
  10. Ordered a bunch of 16GB USB drives, which will be delivered "real soon now" by Amazon.
So for those waiting, I ask for your patience in waiting a bit longer. For anyone needing blank CDs or mailers, I can make you an offer you can't refuse. I will attempt to recycle the DVD stash, but I suspect it will wind up in the landfill along with all the products I've purchased that expired within hours of the warranty. One person has asked how to pay for these videos, but I have no means to collect money and we all need to keep as much of our money as possible in the hope of being able to afford a gallon of gas (or petrol for those of you in the civilized world). When I ship I will offer a strictly voluntary option. That's all for now. I'm off to try and arrange a deal swapping CD mailers for bin liners (aka trash bags), which I clearly need!

Louise Truss

Thank you so much for going the extra mile. You are blessed and you are a blessing to us.
Louise

On Mar 12, 2022, at 9:39 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Lynda Lu Gibb

Thank you for deciding to go forward with getting these to all of us. A lot of extra work on your part! I appreciate it and your expertise with all things related to these wonderful machines.

favymtz

I just have to pipe in here thanking Jim for going to all the effort for those who want the 12000 videos!
Jim, you're a jewel!
The reason why I hope that everyone who has requested the free tutorials is very, very, VERY appreciative is because even though they are for different machines; the "almost-exact-same-videos" are part of the 15000 app that has to be purchased.
So in essence, the Stutstmans are giving away what could be sold.
As a 12000 and 15000 owner I have purchased both sets of tutorials, so I know what a gift you are receiving!
Once again, on the 12000 owners behalf, I thank you, and am so very grateful for both Jim & Diane!!!

--
Favymtz

Laura Maxwell

Hah LOL Actually that is better for my "non-DVD tray available" laptop!

Joy Stone

I know what you mean….no good deed goes unpunished!

well, since my new MacBook Pro does not have a Cd/DVD slot, and I do have a Janome 12000, please add me to the list of those requesting your new USB devices which I will be able to use.  I would be happy to contribute for your time, efffort and expenses.    Just let me know how you want my mailing information delivered, as via this chat feels a little too public. Thank you!!!

Jim Stutsman

Send your mailing address to onlinesewing @ iCloud.com. Leave out the blanks.

Leena Merchant

HiJim
I would like to have the USB please and happy to reciprocate the expenses.  Regards and love to to and Diane.
Leena Merchant.

On Mar 13, 2022, at 8:45 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Send your mailing address to onlinesewing @ iCloud.com. Leave out the blanks.

Barbara Wolcott

I don't need these videos, but I just wanted to say what a great guy you are. You have given me great advice in the past. You are the best resource we Janome owners have. Thanks for all you and Diane have done.

Barbara Wolcott
barb2220@...

On Mar 12, 2022, at 9:04 AM, Louise Truss via groups.io <fltruss@...> wrote:

[...]

Carole Schneider

I rarely post here but try to read it every day. When ever I mention the Janome guru in Texas my husband knows I am referring to Jim!

Jim Stutsman

I must apologize for this post. My reply was to Joy Stone, but apparently was interpreted as a solicitation for more people to get a free USB drive with the 12000 videos on it. I have already spent far more than I planned on USB drives, and hours of copying the 8GB of data to them. I will not be buying any more, so any subsequent requests will regretfully be ignored.

Jim Stutsman

Leena your Yahoo email address is not working. Please email me your current email address: onlinesewing-janome+owner@groups.io

Thanks!