Topics

Two more questions

bhoryn

I’m falling in love with my 550e the more I use it. Have seen out lots of designs on towels and t-towels.    I have two questions.

1.  How often do you change your needle.

2.   I have changed the setting on my machine for the bobbin to the lowest I can without turning off the notification  (.5).     .5 of what.  ?     Can’t find what this means. Still seems to leave a lot of thread on bobbin.

thanks

Beth in Ont.

Lyn Quine

The rule of thumb for changing needles is approx every 8 hours of stitching.  But some stabilisers like water soluble blunts needles quicker.  I normally change needles when I’m starting a new project, especially for free standing lace and the water soluble stabiliser.  Also if when the machine is stitching it sounds  lumpy or thumping. Even a new needle can be bent or blunt so when you think it might be better to change it.  You’ll get used to it.  Make sure you use the right needle for the project.  If you us metallic threads use a metallic needle and don’t use the same needle for rayon or polyester threads.  Metallic threads carve a groove in the eye and will shred other threads.

.5 hmmmm.  Not sure myself but what I do is check how much is left on the bobbin and how much of the design and or color left then wing it.  With my 15000 from when it first shows a warning to when it won’t carry on is approx 3000 stitches.  With mine it will carry on but eventually it will refuse to start, then I either change it or if only a few stitches to finish color/ design I go into setting and turn it off cross everything and continue.  If I have to change it mid color, I cut the threads with the auto cutter, put new bobbin in go back a few stitches, do an up down wiTh the needle to bring the bobbin thread up, hold both threads in the path of stitch so the ends sew in take them to the side after a few stitches, cut them later and continue stitching.  There’s no tie off mid colour, tie off is beginning end of a run, so doing it this way I tie in the bobbin and top threads, they won’t unravel.

marjackpot@yahoo.com

I change the needle in all the machines every 5th bobbin.  When using WSS or a Batik in the 8200 I will change the needle more often, I just listen to the sound it makes.
I have turned the bobbin sensor off, I use pre-wound bobbins so I want to use every little bit of thread.
Have fun with your machine.

Marge in Fl.

bhoryn

Hello Marg.    I think I will turn the bobbin sensor off as you do as I find that using the lowest setting (.5) I still end up with lots of wasted thread on the bobbin.  As I use a PFAFF machine for regular sewing I can’t use the left over thread on the bobbin.   I’ve been winding my own bobbins but may order some Janome pre-wound on line now that Christmas is over.      Thanks for the information about when you change the needle on your machine.

On Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 11:04 AM, marjackpot@... via Groups.Io <marjackpot@...> wrote:

I change the needle in all the machines every 5th bobbin.  When using WSS or a Batik in the 8200 I will change the needle more often, I just listen to the sound it makes.
I have turned the bobbin sensor off, I use pre-wound bobbins so I want to use every little bit of thread.
Have fun with your machine.

Marge in Fl.

bhoryn

Hello Lyn

Thanks for the information on changing the needle.  I hadn’t sewn the 8 hours  of stitching but had been using WSS on towels I was doing for Christmas.   I changed the needle and the machine got quieter and the stitching improved.     Will keep that hint in mind for the future.

Thank you.

On Monday, December 23, 2019, 2:16 PM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

[...]

Else

Hello
I use the last thread on the bobbins when I make applikationa. I put then bobbin on as top thread when I sew the fabric on and embroidery thread to the decorative- and satinstitches.
Else Marie, Denmark

Sendt fra min iPhone

Den 26. dec. 2019 kl. 15.12 skrev bhoryn via Groups.Io <bhoryn@...>:

 Hello Marg.    I think I will turn the bobbin sensor off as you do as I find that using the lowest setting (.5) I still end up with lots of wasted thread on the bobbin.  As I use a PFAFF machine for regular sewing I can’t use the left over thread on the bobbin.   I’ve been winding my own bobbins but may order some Janome pre-wound on line now that Christmas is over.      Thanks for the information about when you change the needle on your machine.

Beth in Ont.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 11:04 AM, marjackpot@... via Groups.Io <marjackpot@...> wrote:

I change the needle in all the machines every 5th bobbin.  When using WSS or a Batik in the 8200 I will change the needle more often, I just listen to the sound it makes.
I have turned the bobbin sensor off, I use pre-wound bobbins so I want to use every little bit of thread.
Have fun with your machine.

Marge in Fl.

Jim Stutsman

Great tip Else! Using remaining bobbin thread to stitch down appliqué pieces is genius.

Cat - N

Hi, Beth.  I use the last bits of bobbin thread that cannot be used for embroidery as top and/or bobbin thread for piecing or sewing, and if I take a class, etc., I take them with my 'little' machine for the same purposes.  Bobbin thread from other, non-Janome, machines I owned in the past I simply re-wind the thread off the old model bobbin onto a Janome bobbin.  I also use bits and ends of bobbin thread for hand sewing, and testing stitches on scrap fabric.  Nothing much gets wasted here.  I do use (qty 108/box) Janome pre-wound bobbins, and I also wind matching bobbins when needed, especially when sewing garments, etc.

- Cat (FL)

Hello Marg.    I think I will turn the bobbin sensor off as you do as I find that using the lowest setting (.5) I still end up with lots of wasted thread on the bobbin.  As I use a PFAFF machine for regular sewing I can’t use the left over thread on the bobbin.   I’ve been winding my own bobbins but may order some Janome pre-wound on line now that Christmas is over.      Thanks for the information about when you change the needle on your machine.

Beth in Ont.

bhoryn

Great idea.     Thank you