From: Janet via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2018 2:33 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Twin needles

Has anyone embroidered with twin needles? I bought a pack and understand that it is best to use designs that are not dense or running stitches. Please share your experiences. Thanks
Janet

onlinesewing@...

A couple of important points:
Don’t use the single hole needle plate. It will break the needle.
Embroidery is done from the left needle position. If your twin has the shank in the center, between the two needles, it will break the left one. You need an offset twin, where the shank is on the left.

Donna Morton

On our 9 mm machines with the zig zag plate on it is possible to do twin needle embroidery but you do need to be careful.   As Janome embroidery machines stitch during embroidery in the left of center position, you must make sure that the double needle does not hit on the left side of the plate.  Try the double needle that came with your machine.

If you have a 7 mm machine, then there used to be a special twin needle available but I have not seen it for years.  Without the special twin needle, you cannot to twin needle embroideries.

Donna M
Canada
http://www.snipandstitch.com

Janet

Thanks for input.   I think not a good idea to use in embroidery mode.  I did find YouTube videos using double needles in free motion quilting and decorative stitches.  Looks interesting. Have a great day

Janet

On Mar 2, 2018, at 11:24 PM, onlinesewing@... wrote:

A couple of important points:
Don’t use the single hole needle plate. It will break the needle.
Embroidery is done from the left needle position. If your twin has the shank in the center, between the two needles, it will break the left one. You need an offset twin, where the shank is on the left.

Kaye Lessard

For Janome machines for sure you. Need to use the twin needle that is offset
The top part of the needle
Also you need to have a needle plate with larger hole
Before starting make sure the 2 needles fit inside hole on needle plate
Kaye in la

Anne Parker

The Elna EL x 705 ZWI is the right set twin needle - only comes in 2.0/90 as far as I know.  You would of course need to use the zig zag plate on your machine.

I've no idea if it works so up to you if you want to try. Note the right most needle is set lower than the left so I would suggest checking manually with the needle plate off that it doesn't hit the hook or the bobbin case.

One thing I have thought about doing is an embroidery with the single needle as usual, and then deliberately breaking the left most needle of a twin needle in order that I can still use the right needle with the zig zag plate and doing the embroidery again.  Not sure it would do anything different from just moving the design over a bit and embroidering again though.  Possibly some uses for trapunto work?

Just thinking anyway! :0)

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion"  Martha Graham

Cheryl Paul

A few years ago a friend with a 350e was interested in doing shadow work on her machine. She was extremely frustrated as in embroidery on the machines previous to the 12/15000’s the needle position for embroidery was to the extreme left. The twin needles available for the Janome machine were centred on the needle shaft so that one was a bit left and the other to the right. You can see that this wouldn’t work on our machines when in the extreme left position as the left needle would strike the needle plate. However, Elna had a needle with the very narrow twinning that had the left needle attached to the shaft and another needle welded to the right. This worked for her BUT she wanted wider and that just wasn’t possible as all us friends looked everywhere to find such a twin needle. I think eventually she moved on as something else showed up on the current scheme in her sewing world - she is one who like to try new things, then leave it when she’s learned it and go on the the new.

I know that these twin needles might still exist in a sewing store that has been in business a long time. If enough ask for them, they might also be manufactured again. I think we’d have more success in getting Janome to use the “Centre” position for the needle not do embroidery - then the twin needles on the market would work for embroidery. Having said that, there may be a very valid technical reason that the needle is on the left for embroidery to get that precise position for perfect embroidery.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Claire Schutz

You need a twin needle to make pintucks, what do you do for that?  Claire S.

On 3/5/2018 11:03 AM, Cheryl Paul wrote:
[...]

Dottie

You need a twin needle to make pintucks, what do you do for that?  Claire S.

You use a twin needle and the regular needle plate.  The other was question was for using the twin needle in embroidery mode.  HTH Dottie in Texas

Cheryl Paul

Just another note on this twin needle embroidery. IF you are using an embroidery only machine, it might not be possible to do twin needle embroidery as the machine only has one needle plate and it would be a “single” hole and the twin needs more space or it will strike the needle plate. On the “sewing/embroidery” combination machines we have multiple needle plates available as we do regular sewing that might require a zig zag or decorative stitch and this needle plate has a wide opening of 7 mm on the older machines and now a 9mm on the 12/15000 and a few others. This is important to NOTE as you really don’t want to ruin anything on your embroidery machine.

I can’t see why one could copy and paste the same design and move it a wee bit to one side and stitch it twice to get that twin needle effect. You would need digitizing software to do this or know someone who might do it for you. I haven’t experimented with this so I can’t tell for certain if this technique would work.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Claire Schutz

Duh, I surely wasn't thinking, thanks, Claire s.

On 3/5/2018 6:46 PM, Dottie wrote:

You need a twin needle to make pintucks, what do you do for that?  Claire S.

You use a twin needle and the regular needle plate.  The other was question was for using the twin needle in embroidery mode.  HTH Dottie in Texas

Janet

Thanks.  I think I will not use in embroidery mode.  Don’t want to break my baby.  Good idea on doubling up on design

Janet

On Mar 6, 2018, at 1:02 PM, Claire Schutz <cyschutz@...> wrote:

Duh, I surely wasn't thinking, thanks, Claire s.

On 3/5/2018 6:46 PM, Dottie wrote:

You need a twin needle to make pintucks, what do you do for that?  Claire S.

You use a twin needle and the regular needle plate.  The other was question was for using the twin needle in embroidery mode.  HTH Dottie in Texas

cas <cassweet@...>

I forgot what the original poster wanted to use a double needle in embroidery for?  It seems there is so much thread to deal with already.

Cas

Kaye Lessard

Janet
This is late but I have done twin needle work with my Janome emb machines!
I have been in classes with trevor also using this
Then I have taught classes on it!
You need a plate with the regular wide hole!
Then you need the twin needle for emb -it is setup differently
There are a few different widths
The reg twin needle for regular sewing -has shank In Center
Will not work
The emb twin needle is offset
Kaye in la

Janet

Thanks. There is not a lot of information on this. I signed up for Trevor’s classes several years ago but am way behind in reviewing them.

Janet