Topics

Troubles...

Lucy Fino

I have the Horizon 15000 and have thoroughly enjoyed it until last week. I started to sew and all of a sudden the needle broke and the bobbin door popped open and the bobbin popped up. I took it to the repairman immediately and he said it was probably just a bur in the bobbin case and that he would buff it out and clean and oil it. Once home it sounded loud so I took it back. He said the bobbin case was worn and that I could keep sewing without damaging the machine or he could replace it if it bothered me. I asked him to replace it and it seemed to be sewing OK and then it happened again, bobbin door popped open, bobbin popped up... 😢 Has anyone had this happen or know what’s causing it?  Please help. Thank you. Lucy

Jim Stutsman

The bobbin case was not the only thing damaged. More than likely the needle hit the hook race, which is the aluminum "basket" that the bobbin case sits on. That would cause it to be noisy. Worse, though, is that a nick, gouge, or other damage to the hook race will catch thread while sewing and not allow it to release once it's made the trip around the bobbin case. When the stitch doesn't release it will quickly cause other stitches to pile up and force the bobbin case up past the stopper, causing what you saw. You can examine the hook race yourself with a strong light and magnifying glass. Look for anything that is not perfectly smooth. Also check the bobbin case stopper. It may be damaged or out of position, so it allows the bobbin case to pop up easily. If there is damage you'll need to see your dealer again. Janome has a tool for buffing hook race damage, part #OILSTONE.

Lyn Quine

Are you using a Janome branded bobbin?  The bobbins we can buy that will supposedly fit multiple machines are generic, they are not the correct size for Janomes, they will clatter and bounce in the bobbin case and pop the the top and even knock out the timing.  The only way to make sure you have the correct bobbin is to buy one in a Janome blister pack.  Or if they have a J on them, although not sure if the J marked ones are available.  I always buy mine in a pack either from a dealer on eBay or the Janome website.

SDY Trading

Help please Jim ,
I was doing quilting in the hoop . Block number 5 .. left the machine site for 30 second to watch the partial eclips . Came back machine stopped and quilt stuck . I had to romove hoop and cut threads from bottom to see what is going on .
Upper thread stuck around bobbin thread . A lot . Bobbin case moved .. nothing broken .. removed every thing and cleaned and put back .
Now machine doesn’t move .. just give me this message , I turned on and off machine few times .. waiting in between.. nothing changed . Any idea what to do
Photos attached
Hala

On Jun 19, 2020, at 6:51 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Turn the hand wheel and see if anything is hitting or stuck. When the bobbin case spins past the stopper it almost always leads to damage. If the wheel won't turn remove the plate and bobbin case and try again. If it still won't turn you need service. You'll probably need service anyway. That's a pretty bad nest.

SDY Trading

Wheel and needle move smoothly.. foot bar doesn’t move at all . There is no service where I live .. that is why I need help . They only sell machine .. they don’t service it . .😏😔

On Jun 21, 2020, at 4:28 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Turn the hand wheel and see if anything is hitting or stuck. When the bobbin case spins past the stopper it almost always leads to damage. If the wheel won't turn remove the plate and bobbin case and try again. If it still won't turn you need service. You'll probably need service anyway. That's a pretty bad nest.

Jim Stutsman

I'm not sure what you mean by "foot bar". If it's the bar that the foot holder attaches to (presser bar), and it won't move when lowered, then you are almost certainly not going to be able to do anything to fix it. Disassembly is required and maybe parts. As you may imagine, it's VERY difficult to diagnose the problem from the pictures you provided. If you have no Janome service you could maybe have it looked at by someone who works on sewing machines in general, just to see what the problem is. Otherwise there isn't much you can do.

SDY Trading

Yes .. the bar that hold the foot not moving . 😔
I will take your advice .
Thank you very much fir your replay
Hala

On Jun 21, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "foot bar". If it's the bar that the foot holder attaches to (presser bar), and it won't move when lowered, then you are almost certainly not going to be able to do anything to fix it. Disassembly is required and maybe parts. As you may imagine, it's VERY difficult to diagnose the problem from the pictures you provided. If you have no Janome service you could maybe have it looked at by someone who works on sewing machines in general, just to see what the problem is. Otherwise there isn't much you can do.

Wendy Petit

Yes, I have the same problem.  I have had my machine for a little over 2 years and have had to change the bobbin holder at least 5 times.  I replaced it last week and now having the same problem again.  My dealer said it was USER error.  I am no expert, but I don't think it is USER, aka ME.  My machine will be embroidering fine for several weeks/different projects on a variety of fabrics.  Then all of a sudden crunch sound and needle break - bur in bobbin holder, which needs to be replaced.  Starting to get to be a little expensive and I don't think this should be happening this often. It does not have anything to do with the thread coming out of the uptake lever - I was told when threading to go from left to right (cross over thread) and that takes care of the thread popping out of the lever.    I am going to bring it in for one last try and see if this can be fixed.  I am REALLY getting somewhat disgusted with this problem.

Wendy Petit

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 09:46:31 AM CDT, Lucy Fino via groups.io <lucyfino@...> wrote:

I have the Horizon 15000 and have thoroughly enjoyed it until last week. I started to sew and all of a sudden the needle broke and the bobbin door popped open and the bobbin popped up. I took it to the repairman immediately and he said it was probably just a bur in the bobbin case and that he would buff it out and clean and oil it. Once home it sounded loud so I took it back. He said the bobbin case was worn and that I could keep sewing without damaging the machine or he could replace it if it bothered me. I asked him to replace it and it seemed to be sewing OK and then it happened again, bobbin door popped open, bobbin popped up... 😢 Has anyone had this happen or know what’s causing it?  Please help. Thank you. Lucy

Wendy Petit

I have also posed this "problem" on the Janome 15000 facebook page and have gotten MANY responses (at least 15) who are having the same problem with the bobbin case.  I copied all of the responses and I am bring my machine in Tuesday for a checkup (they are closed on Monday).  But I am not too hopeful, because I have done this also before.  I was told it was USER (aka, me) error.  I am no expert, but I don't think we are all making the same error.

Wendy Petit

Wendy Petit

YES!  2-year owner - had to change bobbin case over 5 times.

Jim Stutsman

BEFORE YOU TAKE IT IN - Remove the needle plate and bobbin holder. Use magnification and a bright light to closely inspect the rim of the silver "basket" that the bobbin case rides. In 25 years of servicing machines every time I was presented with a machine that "eats bobbin cases" there was damage to the hook race. Small pits usually just cause clicking while sewing, but nicks and deep gouges will cause the stitch to catch and not release properly. That will pull the case up and spin it, causing this kind of problem and usually more damage. Many dealers never look for this. There is a tool available to them (Part #OILSTONE) that will polish out minor damage, but if the hook race is notched or deeply damaged it should be replaced.

Another thing to check is the position of the bobbin case and stopper. Look at the area circled in this photo. The little "nub" on the bobbin case should be in full contact with the stopper. If the stopper is too far toward the front of the machine it is super easy for the case to pop up and spin, especially at high speed. Also note the position of the spring that the case bumps up agains. It should be absolutely straight as shown in the photo. If it is bent, or worse, missing, the stopper should be replaced.

Janet Gronski

I had my 15000 for 11 months, and my machine started doing the same thing. I took it to my dealer 5 times over the course of 3 months! It would embroider fine for a short time, then the bobbin case jumped up, needles broke... My dealer ordered the tool you suggested Jim, filed down the burr, replaced the bobbin case at least 3 times, and it did it again and again. He ended up shipping it back to the Janome factory in New Jersey (I think it was). I was without my machine for 7 weeks.  I was very upset when I I receiving a big bill to have it fixed. I felt it should have been covered by the warranty. This sounds like a problem lots of folks are having. How can we all be blamed? Sounds like a design problem/flaw Janome needs to fix. These machines are too expensive to have these kinds of problems.  I'm beginning to think I made a big expensive mistake buying this machine.

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 4:39 PM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I forgot to say my dealer was very kind and sympathetic.  He did everything he could to try and fix my machine before sending the machine back to the factory.  Again, is this a design problem? Do other Jamone embrodery machines have the same problem or just the 15000?

Virginia

Janet first of all, if you are the original owner of your 15000 your machine is under warranty for 5 full years, that is why we should always register our machine on Janome America website. Your issues with your machine sounds like what I had and it was the bobbin assembly. I too was without my machine for 7 weeks.  The part was ordered from Japan and replaced by my dealer. No charged to me. My machine is 2 years old. Fortunately he gave me a loaner while I waited.
Virginia.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.

[...]

You need to request a new machine.  If the dealer send it back it should not be at your expense.

[...]

I am the original owner.  It is registered, so I will definitely ask why it wasn't covered under warranty. Thank you.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020, 6:14 AM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Is your bobbin case in correctly and is your bobbin the right size. Is the bobbin thread in correctly?All these things should be checked.