Trash question


Joyce Daniel
 

Our SIL has a fishing boat in AK that he takes clients out on. He has a “trashbag” (actually a Walmart bag) hanging on an up/down handle. I would like to make something similar to the picture shown but would love your input.

What do I use for the inside waterproof lining?

How do I get the rim to stand open (like shown) so it’s not floppy when folks go to drop trash in it?

Thanks SO much for your input. Very much appreciated!! Joyce

 

We are all tourists, God is our travel agent

who has already identified our routes,

bookings, and destinations…..trust Him always

and enjoy the beautiful life He has given you.

Charlie Chaplin

 


Cat - N
 

I would think you would be talking about PUL to line/waterproof the bag, but anything that is stitched is not completely waterproof because the needle punches holes for stitching, of course, plus thread wicks liquids out of vinyl with the help of gravity, too.  Not that you intend to have people dumping drinks into a bag hanging from the back of a seat in your car, if it was me, I'd probably use PUL or maybe vinyl, but would use a real plastic, disposable liner that is 'sealed' with a plastic weld...either doggie poopie bags (very inexpensive at dollar stores) or the 'el cheapo' bathroom wastebasket liners that come on the roll.  I use those in my bathroom wastebaskets but I unroll all of the bags and put them in the bottom of the wastebasket, ready to be found and used as soon as one is removed.  I use doggie poopie bags as 'thread catchers' by my 15000, and by the long arm and cutting table (for slivers of fabrics that are too small to keep).  I think I pay $1 for a package of 3, and I keep rolls in the glove boxes of the cars for any 'trash' issue.

I bought little wet dry vacs for family with kids and dogs for Christmas, and made cases for the vacs to keep all the attachments, manual, etc., together.  I used a thinner, flexible clear vinyl to help keep their cars clean and dry in case of 'wet' cleanups, such as spilled drinks or carsickness, etc.  I made the bags round, so the stitches are around the bottom edge (all edges, actually)...but I know that doesn't make them completely leak proof...which the bag in the photo you sent appears to be.

The vinyl I used made the bags stand up on their own, but I cannot be sure how it would work in that particular application.  I attached a photo of the cases and the docs envelopes.  The envelopes kind of give an idea of the softness of the vinyl where all four bags are completely empty and standing on their own.  I am not sure how PUL would work...it is often used in making reusable baby diaper products, if that helps.

I would be interested in what you do use and how the bags turn out.

- Cat



-----Original Message-----
From: Joyce Daniel <mdaniel@...>
Sent: Fri, Jul 9, 2021 10:12 pm

Our SIL has a fishing boat in AK that he takes clients out on. He has a “trashbag” (actually a Walmart bag) hanging on an up/down handle. I would like to make something similar to the picture shown but would love your input.
What do I use for the inside waterproof lining?
How do I get the rim to stand open (like shown) so it’s not floppy when folks go to drop trash in it?
Thanks SO much for your input. Very much appreciated!! Joyce
 


Kathy Skagen
 

Joyce,
I use Pellon 100 Vinyl Fuse. It is an iron on vinyl that you can iron onto any cotton material. It easy to use, but you would have to do some research on how to waterproof the seams if you want to be able to pour liquid into it. Also, use some iron on stabilizer like Craft Fuse or Decorbond to give the bag enough body to hang open. And/ or create a flat bottom by sewing across the bottom corners of the bag and that will keep the top open. Search for some bag patterns to see how they make the bottom of makeup bags.
Kathy

On Thursday, July 8, 2021, 05:34:00 PM CDT, Joyce Daniel <mdaniel@...> wrote:


Our SIL has a fishing boat in AK that he takes clients out on. He has a “trashbag” (actually a Walmart bag) hanging on an up/down handle. I would like to make something similar to the picture shown but would love your input.

What do I use for the inside waterproof lining?

How do I get the rim to stand open (like shown) so it’s not floppy when folks go to drop trash in it?

Thanks SO much for your input. Very much appreciated!! Joyce

 

We are all tourists, God is our travel agent

who has already identified our routes,

bookings, and destinations…..trust Him always

and enjoy the beautiful life He has given you.

Charlie Chaplin

 


Cheryl Paul
 

Some years ago, a few of us in a sewing group made thread catches, with a pincushion on top of a ceramic tile that was covered to match the bag for the thread catcher. We used quilt batting for the structure of both the wrap of the ceramic tile and the body of the catcher. On the top of the catcher, we used the cord used in a “whipper snipper” to hold the bag open and round. I’m not sure this would work in your trash bag application, but it would be worth a try. All you need is for it to just stay so that it doesn’t collapse when putting trash into the bag. This would work in the bag you showed in the picture.

To make a Trash Bag from scratch, you could fuse a heavy weight interfacing like deco-bond - I’d use a medium weight because you want a bit of flexibility, but enough rigidness to support the bag. Using PUL would give it some moisture resistance, but I wouldn’t want liquids poured into any trash bag I had in my vehicle, but it is nice that the last drip from a Pop can or water bottle doesn’t run through onto the floor or the bag of the seat.

I’ve bought a new Chrysler Mini Van, ordered last November and apparently the “computer chips” and there are 11 of them, I’m told have finally arrived. I found out by accident when a customer service person from my dealership wanted to know how I was liking my present 5 year old Van. I asked a question and got the information I wanted from her - my salesperson is on vacation, so I expect I’ll get a call next week. Now that I know there will be a new van, I think I’m going to make it a Trash Bag. If I do and get it done (finishing it would be the operative word here) I’ll post a picture.

Cheryl - Saskatoon


favymtz
 

Good ideas thus far about the fabrics, how about trying to seal the sewn seams with silicon caulk?
The upper rim could be kept open with dressmaker boning or the strapping material we get on packages & boxes and usually throw away, I’ve used both on these types of projects. If you don’t have any you could ask for some at any store when they unbox products.
--
Favymtz


Cat - N
 

Silicon calk as a seam sealant, since I can’t find that waterproofing spray anymore, had occurred to me as well although I don’t know how well it would stay stuck if used as a liquid reservoir, but if, say, your (ex) used your good, decorative monogrammed bathroom hand towel to wipe up excess of that ‘industrial snot he’d overcalked, I can tell you it doesn’t wash out of terry cloth before you give up and throw the towel away…unless you’ve got a trick I didn’t have…but it does waterproof that part of the towel!   Yep…voice of experience. LOL   If you need dark/black, there is RTV, too. (Room temperature vulcanizing rubber).  If you can’t find that at home improvement stores, check automotive stores. 

Seriously, though…there used to be a waterproofing spray and I’ve had several cans of it…two kinds of it but can’t remember the names of the products. It was often used on tent fabrics, and if you’ve spent time in a tent with lots of rain, you might have noticed they leak after a while. I don’t know if the spray is still available but maybe a camping store or military surplus store, maybe even auto parts stores might know.  If you can find it, it might provide enough waterproofing for ‘some’ liquidity…last drops from a soda can, etc. 

I like the strapping idea, and especially since it could be a repurposing of a disposable product.  As kids, we used pipe cleaners for rigidity and form and twisted them together for longer sections, but they don’t snap back like boning does. 

So many great ideas.  What a great group!!! I can’t wait to find out how you put it all together. 

I hope you eventually get your minivan, Cheryl. What a long wait!!!  

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 


Mary E
 

Don't know if this was suggested, but Ottertex, waterproofed canvas, would do the job

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 10:41 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
Good ideas thus far about the fabrics, how about trying to seal the sewn seams with silicon caulk?
The upper rim could be kept open with dressmaker boning or the strapping material we get on packages & boxes and usually throw away, I’ve used both on these types of projects. If you don’t have any you could ask for some at any store when they unbox products.
--
Favymtz


Anne Stoye
 

You could use Rigilene plastic boning in a channel at the top to hold the bag open.  Cut circumference plus a couple of inches overlap.  The gap in the casing means that you can put in the boning at the end or remove it for flatter storage.  Cable ties are another possibility.  Apologies for delay in responding – perhaps other people have made similar or better suggestions in the meantime.  Anne

 

How do I get the rim to stand open (like shown) so it’s not floppy when folks go to drop trash in it?


JoAnn Novak
 

 Joann fabrics use to sell a rubberized fabric that I have used many times but have not been able to find anymore.   Maybe try on line fabric stores.  JoAnn (Wisconsin)

Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.

On 7/9/2021 9:12 PM, Joyce Daniel wrote:

Our SIL has a fishing boat in AK that he takes clients out on. He has a “trashbag” (actually a Walmart bag) hanging on an up/down handle. I would like to make something similar to the picture shown but would love your input.

What do I use for the inside waterproof lining?

How do I get the rim to stand open (like shown) so it’s not floppy when folks go to drop trash in it?

Thanks SO much for your input. Very much appreciated!! Joyce

 

We are all tourists, God is our travel agent

who has already identified our routes,

bookings, and destinations…..trust Him always

and enjoy the beautiful life He has given you.

Charlie Chaplin

 


Cat - N
 

Cable ties…what a great idea!

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

_._,_._,_


georgebarbara1218@att.net
 

I’ve reused fibrous strapping that holds boxes closed. Bought something and had to go to a pickup area. They were throwing tons of it away. Gave me a bunch

On Friday, July 9, 2021, 02:58:18 PM CDT, Anne Stoye via groups.io <annestoye@...> wrote:


You could use Rigilene plastic boning in a channel at the top to hold the bag open.  Cut circumference plus a couple of inches overlap.  The gap in the casing means that you can put in the boning at the end or remove it for flatter storage.  Cable ties are another possibility.  Apologies for delay in responding – perhaps other people have made similar or better suggestions in the meantime.  Anne

 

How do I get the rim to stand open (like shown) so it’s not floppy when folks go to drop trash in it?


Joyce Daniel
 

THANKS so much for all your great suggestions!!! I have boning on hand and will give that a try. (great suggestion) and love the idea of PUL which I also have on hand from Days for Girls so will also give that a try. Many thanks!!! I really appreciate it!!! Now, off to the grandson’s 6th bday party in the park!! Joyce in GA

 

 


a67skc70
 

you can waterproof seams by using a product to waterproof tent seams. I have gotten the product from a marina, but can not remember the name of it now. They use it waterproof the seams on pontoon tops.
Linda



On Thursday, July 8, 2021, 8:45:08 PM CDT, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:


Joyce,
I use Pellon 100 Vinyl Fuse. It is an iron on vinyl that you can iron onto any cotton material. It easy to use, but you would have to do some research on how to waterproof the seams if you want to be able to pour liquid into it. Also, use some iron on stabilizer like Craft Fuse or Decorbond to give the bag enough body to hang open. And/ or create a flat bottom by sewing across the bottom corners of the bag and that will keep the top open. Search for some bag patterns to see how they make the bottom of makeup bags.
Kathy

On Thursday, July 8, 2021, 05:34:00 PM CDT, Joyce Daniel <mdaniel@...> wrote:


Our SIL has a fishing boat in AK that he takes clients out on. He has a “trashbag” (actually a Walmart bag) hanging on an up/down handle. I would like to make something similar to the picture shown but would love your input.

What do I use for the inside waterproof lining?

How do I get the rim to stand open (like shown) so it’s not floppy when folks go to drop trash in it?

Thanks SO much for your input. Very much appreciated!! Joyce

 

We are all tourists, God is our travel agent

who has already identified our routes,

bookings, and destinations…..trust Him always

and enjoy the beautiful life He has given you.

Charlie Chaplin

 


Judy
 

I have used 1/4 “ plastic tubing like used for aquariums to hold the trash bag open. I broke off the head of a golf tee and used the pointed end to shove into the ends of the tubing to hold it together.
Just another idea…
~ Judy


ritavlj
 

The waterproofing products can usually be found any place that sells to campers/backpackers.

I’ve found that the trick to the most waterproof bags is to limit the number of seams in your bag. For me that generally means I plan it out so I use only one piece of fabric and the seams are only on the sides. I then square off the corners. This gives you only a couple of relatively short bottom seams. I use a French seam and have the bulk of the seam on the outside of the bag leaving the inside with minimal seams inside yet having the extra safety of the French seaming.

Rita