Transporting 15000


Pixey
 

I know there has been a lot of past discussion about travel trolleys for the 15000.  And the weight and bulk of the 15000 was why I bought the S9 for a travel/workshop machine.  But have started attending a monthly Ruler Work Class, I really needed a better way to take my 15000.  I have come up with a slightly different approach to take my 15000 that is working great.

Instead of buying an extra large sewing machine trolley for the machine (which I knew I would not be able to lift in and out of my small SUV).  I bought a folding wagon at the sporting goods store.


It is easier to lift the machine itself in and out of the back of the SUV and in and out of the wagon as the wagon sits sits up about 8” from the ground but is very stable.  Then I fold up the wagon and stand it up in the back seat floorboard.  The wagon is weight rated for 125 lb and the large wheels go easily over thresholds (actually better than my S9 Tutto).  The width makes the turning radius is a little higher than the trolley, but is not too difficult to navigate building interiors.

Then when I get inside, I unload the machine onto the table and use the wagon for a second load with all of the additional “stuff” needed for the workshop.

Not to mention the wagon price was only $50 compared to the several hundred dollars of the enclosed trolleys.

Pixey


Lyn Quine
 

I bought a wagon or cart, for when I go on my sewing weekends.  It’s so much easier.  I still have a L tutto bag for my sewing machine a 6600P, 15000 doesn’t go out of the house.  My daughter takes the 12000 sometimes that is in the XL tutto.  But the cart makes it so easy to get all the fabric and kit to the conference room.  People wouldn’t borrow it at first to move their stuff, but they see us moving all our stuff in a couple of trips, with machines in their tutto bags towing along behind, and they are starting to take an interest.  Perhaps I should take out shares in the company that makes them lol

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Pixey via groups.io
Sent: 26 April 2022 15:35
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Transporting 15000

 

I know there has been a lot of past discussion about travel trolleys for the 15000.  And the weight and bulk of the 15000 was why I bought the S9 for a travel/workshop machine.  But have started attending a monthly Ruler Work Class, I really needed a better way to take my 15000.  I have come up with a slightly different approach to take my 15000 that is working great.

 

Instead of buying an extra large sewing machine trolley for the machine (which I knew I would not be able to lift in and out of my small SUV).  I bought a folding wagon at the sporting goods store.

 

 

It is easier to lift the machine itself in and out of the back of the SUV and in and out of the wagon as the wagon sits sits up about 8” from the ground but is very stable.  Then I fold up the wagon and stand it up in the back seat floorboard.  The wagon is weight rated for 125 lb and the large wheels go easily over thresholds (actually better than my S9 Tutto).  The width makes the turning radius is a little higher than the trolley, but is not too difficult to navigate building interiors.

 

Then when I get inside, I unload the machine onto the table and use the wagon for a second load with all of the additional “stuff” needed for the workshop.

 

Not to mention the wagon price was only $50 compared to the several hundred dollars of the enclosed trolleys.

 

Pixey

 


Cat - N
 


Super!!!  Those wagons are nice. I got one with a cover years ago from Amazon for my Yorkies. I think they called it a garden cart.  The price has gone waaaayyy up since then but the cart is great!



I also used to have a folding cart I moved pc’s, monitors, and printers on that sounds similar. It was a 3-way cart…low and flat (like a tabletop) 4-wheel configuration, high and flat (same as low), or in a 2-wheel ‘truck’ configuration.   I can’t find them now but would love a replacement. 


- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 




On Apr 26, 2022 at 10:35 AM, <Pixey via groups.io> wrote:

I know there has been a lot of past discussion about travel trolleys for the 15000.  

Instead of buying an extra large sewing machine trolley for the machine (which I knew I would not be able to lift in and out of my small SUV).  I bought a folding wagon at the sporting goods store.


It is easier to lift the machine itself in and out of the back of the SUV and in and out of the wagon as the wagon sits sits up about 8” from the ground but is very stable.  Then I fold up the wagon and stand it up in the back seat floorboard.  The wagon is weight rated for 125 lb and the large wheels go easily over thresholds (actually better than my S9 Tutto).  The width makes the turning radius is a little higher than the trolley, but is not too difficult to navigate building interiors.

Then when I get inside, I unload the machine onto the table and use the wagon for a second load with all of the additional “stuff” needed for the workshop.

Not to mention the wagon price was only $50 compared to the several hundred dollars of the enclosed trolleys.

Pixey


Carolyn Gazerro
 

How do you who have the 15000 handle transporting machine from second level?


Cat - N
 


Sorry…no idea why email jammed my cart image down into the middle of Pixey’s message…ugh

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



Lyn Quine
 

If I need to get the 15000 or any of my machines from the upstairs bedroom (if that’s what you mean by second level), they are very heavy, I put it in the Tutto bag and carry to down, husband holds the handle of the bag but I prefer to grip each end and lift it by the metal frame, but I go backwards downstairs, lifting it and resting the bag on the stair as I go.  I take it upstairs, I face the stairs and lift the bag and rest it on the stair, then move up then left the bag probably 2 steps up.  It’s much easier that way, less likely to overbalance with the weight of the machine.  When I get to top or bottom the Tutto has wheels which are steerable, so easily wheeled back into place where I keep it, or lift it out and place on my table.  I would put the 15000 in the bag and carry down that way, even if I was just moving it to the table downstairs.  The Tutto isn’t a heavy bag to carry empty so doesn’t add much weight to the machine.  It also collapses down for storing when empty although when on a sewing retreat, it holds all my fabric etc when the machine is in use.  It’s a very robust piece of luggage.


On 26 Apr 2022, at 16:04, Carolyn Gazerro <carolyngazerro@...> wrote:

How do you who have the 15000 handle transporting machine from second level?


Ceil J
 

I have the machine on the second level and just strip her down and carry her.  At 72 I can still manage.  My dealer told me to just put the machine on the floor of my car, in the back behind the driver.  He comes out and gets it and loads it for me.  It said to never put a seatbelt across it as it could crack the screen.
Ceil


On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:04 AM Carolyn Gazerro <carolyngazerro@...> wrote:
How do you who have the 15000 handle transporting machine from second level?


Cat - N
 


I only have 5 steps down from my main house floor level to the ground so I have to carry it down those…no ‘elevator option’ will ever be available for that…nor down to my basement either…lol. I put the Tutto on the ground then carry the machine down and put it into the Tutto. The embroidery unit always goes in its own case, of course. Not sure I’d want to or be able to carry it up / down a whole flight. 


- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



favymtz
 

I also have my machine "up stairs". My husband hauls it down to the garage into the trunk of the car where I wedge it into position with all my other stuff that I take to sewing gatherings. I'm careful to put alot of stuff in there to support it and have never tipped it over! 
Sometimes I will strap it into the back seat with a seatbelt, but that's harder to get it into, and out of, the car.
When I get to the location I use a luggage cart that I strap the machine onto to wheel inside. The luggage cart is the kind many of us had before rolling luggage was the norm. It works great for me, as I didn't want to invest in, (and store) a tote. I had one for my 6600 and because I live in a small home, extra things that take up space when not in use aren't my favorite things to invest in.
I think rolling totes are great, if you have space for them, and if you have the strength to lift them into and out of your vehicle!
Favymtz
image.png


On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 8:43 AM Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

I bought a wagon or cart, for when I go on my sewing weekends.  It’s so much easier.  I still have a L tutto bag for my sewing machine a 6600P, 15000 doesn’t go out of the house.  My daughter takes the 12000 sometimes that is in the XL tutto.  But the cart makes it so easy to get all the fabric and kit to the conference room.  People wouldn’t borrow it at first to move their stuff, but they see us moving all our stuff in a couple of trips, with machines in their tutto bags towing along behind, and they are starting to take an interest.  Perhaps I should take out shares in the company that makes them lol

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Pixey via groups.io
Sent: 26 April 2022 15:35
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Transporting 15000

 

I know there has been a lot of past discussion about travel trolleys for the 15000.  And the weight and bulk of the 15000 was why I bought the S9 for a travel/workshop machine.  But have started attending a monthly Ruler Work Class, I really needed a better way to take my 15000.  I have come up with a slightly different approach to take my 15000 that is working great.

 

Instead of buying an extra large sewing machine trolley for the machine (which I knew I would not be able to lift in and out of my small SUV).  I bought a folding wagon at the sporting goods store.

 

 

It is easier to lift the machine itself in and out of the back of the SUV and in and out of the wagon as the wagon sits sits up about 8” from the ground but is very stable.  Then I fold up the wagon and stand it up in the back seat floorboard.  The wagon is weight rated for 125 lb and the large wheels go easily over thresholds (actually better than my S9 Tutto).  The width makes the turning radius is a little higher than the trolley, but is not too difficult to navigate building interiors.

 

Then when I get inside, I unload the machine onto the table and use the wagon for a second load with all of the additional “stuff” needed for the workshop.

 

Not to mention the wagon price was only $50 compared to the several hundred dollars of the enclosed trolleys.

 

Pixey

 


--
Favymtz


Ceil J
 

Favy,
My dealer told me to never use the seatbelt to secure the machine.  He said he's seen screens crack due to this. 
Ceil


Carolyn Gazerro
 

Husband use to bring machine down but passed away almost two years ago. My daughter brought it down recently (physically fit) when it was serviced a couple of months ago.  Don’t want to depend on her if possible.  Once it is at dealer they carry it inside.

Any other suggestions?


Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>
 

That is a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing, Pixey.
:-)
Kathy

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 09:35:52 AM CDT, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:


I know there has been a lot of past discussion about travel trolleys for the 15000.  And the weight and bulk of the 15000 was why I bought the S9 for a travel/workshop machine.  But have started attending a monthly Ruler Work Class, I really needed a better way to take my 15000.  I have come up with a slightly different approach to take my 15000 that is working great.

Instead of buying an extra large sewing machine trolley for the machine (which I knew I would not be able to lift in and out of my small SUV).  I bought a folding wagon at the sporting goods store.


It is easier to lift the machine itself in and out of the back of the SUV and in and out of the wagon as the wagon sits sits up about 8” from the ground but is very stable.  Then I fold up the wagon and stand it up in the back seat floorboard.  The wagon is weight rated for 125 lb and the large wheels go easily over thresholds (actually better than my S9 Tutto).  The width makes the turning radius is a little higher than the trolley, but is not too difficult to navigate building interiors.

Then when I get inside, I unload the machine onto the table and use the wagon for a second load with all of the additional “stuff” needed for the workshop.

Not to mention the wagon price was only $50 compared to the several hundred dollars of the enclosed trolleys.

Pixey


Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>
 

I think that is a very wise way to move such a heavy machine up and down the stairs. As someone who used to live in a 2 story house, I always took into the mind the saying, There's two kinds of people that live in a 2 story house--the ones that have fallen on the stairs and the ones that are going to fall. I always held on with both hands going up and down. Fortunately, I never fell but my daughter did once fall UP the stairs! :-) She wasn't hurt. I did notice once we moved into a single story that going up and down those stairs helped with exercise and leg strength!
At the rate these machines are growing, we may all need to install elevators!
Kathy

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 10:20:07 AM CDT, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:


If I need to get the 15000 or any of my machines from the upstairs bedroom (if that’s what you mean by second level), they are very heavy, I put it in the Tutto bag and carry to down, husband holds the handle of the bag but I prefer to grip each end and lift it by the metal frame, but I go backwards downstairs, lifting it and resting the bag on the stair as I go.  I take it upstairs, I face the stairs and lift the bag and rest it on the stair, then move up then left the bag probably 2 steps up.  It’s much easier that way, less likely to overbalance with the weight of the machine.  When I get to top or bottom the Tutto has wheels which are steerable, so easily wheeled back into place where I keep it, or lift it out and place on my table.  I would put the 15000 in the bag and carry down that way, even if I was just moving it to the table downstairs.  The Tutto isn’t a heavy bag to carry empty so doesn’t add much weight to the machine.  It also collapses down for storing when empty although when on a sewing retreat, it holds all my fabric etc when the machine is in use.  It’s a very robust piece of luggage.


On 26 Apr 2022, at 16:04, Carolyn Gazerro <carolyngazerro@...> wrote:

How do you who have the 15000 handle transporting machine from second level?


Carolyn Gazerro
 

Lyn,
Your way seems safest.  I have a hand cart used for musical instruments but afraid to use it going down the stairs because the inertia going forward might suddenly send me and machine tumbling.


Lyn Quine
 

Before the people I retreat with changed venues we stayed in a place where we were upstairs machines were on the ground floor but I still had to get everything up a set of steps, and there was a steep walk from the car park.  Once up the hill it was worth being there and I was a bit younger.  Anyway, I bought a trolley that climbs stairs, it has 3 small wheels each side, and can climb up and down stairs/steps safely.  We got a heavy double oven out of the house and down a couple of steps using it, and the feet turn in for storage and travelling in the boot.  I had bungees to hold stuff in place, then we moved venues and I got the cart.


On 26 Apr 2022, at 18:25, Carolyn Gazerro <carolyngazerro@...> wrote:

Lyn,
Your way seems safest.  I have a hand cart used for musical instruments but afraid to use it going down the stairs because the inertia going forward might suddenly send me and machine tumbling.


Lyn Quine
 

Funny you say about falling Kathy I always trip going up, catch the front of my foot on the stairs, and it’s always my right foot, and that’s the leg I’ve had the knee replaced!  

My friend lived most of her married life in a bungalow, single storey, then after the children left home she got her dream house and stairs, within a year she was seeing a consultant with knee ankle and hip problems, he diagnosed bungalow syndrome, she hadn’t used stairs very much, she’d grown up in a bungalow.  So they sold up and bought a bungalow again.  😂. Who’d have thought.


On 26 Apr 2022, at 18:09, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:


I think that is a very wise way to move such a heavy machine up and down the stairs. As someone who used to live in a 2 story house, I always took into the mind the saying, There's two kinds of people that live in a 2 story house--the ones that have fallen on the stairs and the ones that are going to fall. I always held on with both hands going up and down. Fortunately, I never fell but my daughter did once fall UP the stairs! :-) She wasn't hurt. I did notice once we moved into a single story that going up and down those stairs helped with exercise and leg strength!
At the rate these machines are growing, we may all need to install elevators!
Kathy

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 10:20:07 AM CDT, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:


If I need to get the 15000 or any of my machines from the upstairs bedroom (if that’s what you mean by second level), they are very heavy, I put it in the Tutto bag and carry to down, husband holds the handle of the bag but I prefer to grip each end and lift it by the metal frame, but I go backwards downstairs, lifting it and resting the bag on the stair as I go.  I take it upstairs, I face the stairs and lift the bag and rest it on the stair, then move up then left the bag probably 2 steps up.  It’s much easier that way, less likely to overbalance with the weight of the machine.  When I get to top or bottom the Tutto has wheels which are steerable, so easily wheeled back into place where I keep it, or lift it out and place on my table.  I would put the 15000 in the bag and carry down that way, even if I was just moving it to the table downstairs.  The Tutto isn’t a heavy bag to carry empty so doesn’t add much weight to the machine.  It also collapses down for storing when empty although when on a sewing retreat, it holds all my fabric etc when the machine is in use.  It’s a very robust piece of luggage.


On 26 Apr 2022, at 16:04, Carolyn Gazerro <carolyngazerro@...> wrote:

How do you who have the 15000 handle transporting machine from second level?


Cat - N
 

Wow!  I had no idea that was a ‘thing’ that could happen to you!

They say something similar about motorcyclists…those that have tipped over and those that will tip over.   lol 


- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 




On Apr 26, 2022 at 2:07 PM, <Lyn Quine> wrote:

Funny you say about falling Kathy I always trip going up, catch the front of my foot on the stairs, and it’s always my right foot, and that’s the leg I’ve had the knee replaced!  

My friend lived most of her married life in a bungalow, single storey, then after the children left home she got her dream house and stairs, within a year she was seeing a consultant with knee ankle and hip problems, he diagnosed bungalow syndrome, she hadn’t used stairs very much, she’d grown up in a bungalow.  So they sold up and bought a bungalow again.  😂. Who’d have thought.


On 26 Apr 2022, at 18:09, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:


I think that is a very wise way to move such a heavy machine up and down the stairs. As someone who used to live in a 2 story house, I always took into the mind the saying, There's two kinds of people that live in a 2 story house--the ones that have fallen on the stairs and the ones that are going to fall. I always held on with both hands going up and down. Fortunately, I never fell but my daughter did once fall UP the stairs! :-) She wasn't hurt. I did notice once we moved into a single story that going up and down those stairs helped with exercise and leg strength!
At the rate these machines are growing, we may all need to install elevators!
Kathy

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 10:20:07 AM CDT, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:


If I need to get the 15000 or any of my machines from the upstairs bedroom (if that’s what you mean by second level), they are very heavy, I put it in the Tutto bag and carry to down, husband holds the handle of the bag but I prefer to grip each end and lift it by the metal frame, but I go backwards downstairs, lifting it and resting the bag on the stair as I go.  I take it upstairs, I face the stairs and lift the bag and rest it on the stair, then move up then left the bag probably 2 steps up.  It’s much easier that way, less likely to overbalance with the weight of the machine.  When I get to top or bottom the Tutto has wheels which are steerable, so easily wheeled back into place where I keep it, or lift it out and place on my table.  I would put the 15000 in the bag and carry down that way, even if I was just moving it to the table downstairs.  The Tutto isn’t a heavy bag to carry empty so doesn’t add much weight to the machine.  It also collapses down for storing when empty although when on a sewing retreat, it holds all my fabric etc when the machine is in use.  It’s a very robust piece of luggage.


On 26 Apr 2022, at 16:04, Carolyn Gazerro <carolyngazerro@...> wrote:

How do you who have the 15000 handle transporting machine from second level?


favymtz
 

Since I rarely have ever put the machine on the seat, I would caution that you must always use the soft cover on the machine, (in whatever way you're moving it) and if you do put it on the seat, face it backwards, don't let the seat belt touch the front of the machine. I'm sure you're correct Ceil, it could crack if you had a sudden stop.
I have a friend who's machine fell out of the back of her suv, she hadn't closed the hatch. That was a very broken machine!
Speaking of the soft cover, I saw a conversation on FB the other day, a person said she had accidentally thrown away her hard white cover for the 15000. Was there ever a hard cover? I never saw one sold.
Anyone???

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 9:23 AM Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:
I have the machine on the second level and just strip her down and carry her.  At 72 I can still manage.  My dealer told me to just put the machine on the floor of my car, in the back behind the driver.  He comes out and gets it and loads it for me.  It said to never put a seatbelt across it as it could crack the screen.
Ceil

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:04 AM Carolyn Gazerro <carolyngazerro@...> wrote:
How do you who have the 15000 handle transporting machine from second level?


--
Favymtz


Jim Serritella
 

Greeting folks,

 

Our embroidery facility is in the basement of our home (ranch house).  UPS and all deliveries come to the front door off the street. So everything has to get to the lower level.

 

Whatever the size of the box or material, or machine, I slide it on the carpet to the top of the stairs. Walk down the stairs backwards – CAREFULLY – pulling the box toward me.  Stopping on each stair with the edge of the box.  Been doing this for over 20 years and haven’t had a misstep yet…

 

Like some else, I did fall UP the top step one day. My fault, not paying attention.

 

One step at a time. Title the box toward the edge of the stair, and all will be fine.

 

Regards,

 

Jim

www.thejourneythroughcancer.us   check it out.

 

Jim Serritella
301-253-3971
E-Z Stitches Plus,
Laytonsville, MD 20882


email:
jim@...
visit:  
www.martialartsembroidery.com

 

 

 

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io [mailto:onlinesewing-janome@groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Gazerro
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2022 1:26 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Transporting 15000

 

Lyn,
Your way seems safest.  I have a hand cart used for musical instruments but afraid to use it going down the stairs because the inertia going forward might suddenly send me and machine tumbling.


--
Jim Serritella
E-Z Stitches
jim@...


Lyn Quine
 

I always pad the machine out with a soft folded material or batting or wool pressing mat, to protect the machine screen nothing sharp or hard is put in the bag or  side pockets foot pedals and etc, go in the end pockets.  




On 26 Apr 2022, at 21:09, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:


Since I rarely have ever put the machine on the seat, I would caution that you must always use the soft cover on the machine, (in whatever way you're moving it) and if you do put it on the seat, face it backwards, don't let the seat belt touch the front of the machine. I'm sure you're correct Ceil, it could crack if you had a sudden stop.
I have a friend who's machine fell out of the back of her suv, she hadn't closed the hatch. That was a very broken machine!
Speaking of the soft cover, I saw a conversation on FB the other day, a person said she had accidentally thrown away her hard white cover for the 15000. Was there ever a hard cover? I never saw one sold.
Anyone???

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 9:23 AM Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:
I have the machine on the second level and just strip her down and carry her.  At 72 I can still manage.  My dealer told me to just put the machine on the floor of my car, in the back behind the driver.  He comes out and gets it and loads it for me.  It said to never put a seatbelt across it as it could crack the screen.
Ceil

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:04 AM Carolyn Gazerro <carolyngazerro@...> wrote:
How do you who have the 15000 handle transporting machine from second level?


--
Favymtz