Topics

To stitch regulator

Shirley Allen

Jim,  Does Janome (or Elna) make a stitch regulator similar to the one Bernia has ?  If not do you think they might someday?  Thanks.  curious minds need to know.  Shirley from NJ

Jim Stutsman

Keep in mind that I've been out of the dealership for 9 years now, but I don't think Janome has ever made a stitch regulator. If they have not, it could be due to patents. That's why they didn't have integrated dual feed until the Pfaff patent expired. I doubt that any stitch regulator can match what a seasoned free motion quilter can do manually, and Acufil allows for pretty much perfect stitching every time.

Nyssa Lanzafame

i second Jim...i  bought a bernina for the BSR....I would not even try Free motion Quiilting until i had it....then after getting and thinking, huh, not quite the magic i expected, i tried FMQ on the 15000 and was delighted! it was easier, and came out just as well!!!  if you think that the BSR actually has 100% perfect stitch length all the time, it does not.    so i was empowered  :)
give it a try if you have not already.

On 8/19/2020 12:20 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io wrote:
Keep in mind that I've been out of the dealership for 9 years now, but I don't think Janome has ever made a stitch regulator. If they have not, it could be due to patents. That's why they didn't have integrated dual feed until the Pfaff patent expired. I doubt that any stitch regulator can match what a seasoned free motion quilter can do manually, and Acufil allows for pretty much perfect stitching every time.

Thank you Jim for your reply & I will try to get my free motion sewing up to snuff. LOL

Patricia Ward

Shirley,  really I don't think the stitch regulator that I have for my older Bernina 730E was even worth the money.   I have found my FMQ on my 15000 to be so easy and enjoyable.  I set my speed bar at a certain speed and then use my foot pedal to do the quilting; the speed will not go any faster than the bar allows it even if I put the pedal to the metal so to speak.

And as an aside; on the sewing lists where people sell things, I see the Bernina Stitch Regulators on there for sale quite frequently.

Just my opinion...

Pat

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 12:16 PM Shirley Allen <sowhat1935@...> wrote:
Jim,  Does Janome (or Elna) make a stitch regulator similar to the one Bernia has ?  If not do you think they might someday?  Thanks.  curious minds need to know.  Shirley from NJ

Shirley Allen

THANK YOU

On 8/19/2020 1:20 PM, Nyssa Lanzafame wrote:
[...]

Ceil J

Before I ultimately bought my 15000, I looked at every brand and store that I could reasonably visit.   At one Bernina shop the owner told me that she didn't recommend the stitch regulator (much to my surprise) as it did have a learning curve and once it was mastered, many didn't use it anymore.  I tried it but was unable to get consistent stitches.  The owner said that with practice I would learn to get even stitches without the regulator.  When I tried on my Juki which is a straight stitch machine with speed control, I set the speed control to a certain spot that worked well with how I moved the fabric and was able to get somewhat good results.  But I really prefer to let the 15000 do my embroidery!

Sally on the WE(s)T Side

I have the Janome 9400 updated and a Janome 6600P craigslist bargain.  Both are a dream come true for FMQ.  I would never ask for a stitch regulator because I always try the machines with them at quilt shows and they are never as smooth and quiet as my Janomes with sliding speed controllers.  It just takes a bit of time and daily practice at the machine and doodling on paper to make smooth hand movements that produce even stitches.

Sally, who failed a first attempt at FMQ in the 90's and was pleasantly surprised with success with the nice large bed Janome machines