Topics

Thread question

Sherryl Doran

I am getting ready to try to hoop a quilt project on my 12000. Since it will be a quilt pattern, not embroidery, which thread would you use, quilting or embroidery? And would quilt thread run ok in the embroidery bobbin? I use Superior So Fine #50 for quilting and Gutterman or Floriani for embroidery.

Lou Ann

My experience:  I had a roll of pre-wound bobbin thread that I don't remember where I got, but remember it was a "freebie" with some order.  On a recent "practice" piece I decided to use them up.  I'm sure glad it was practice because the stitch out was really bad.  I thought it might be my machine, but decided to try my regular pre-wound.  It continued to stitch out just fine.  It looked like "my" bobbin thread, but it obviously was not-probably a heavier weight?  Anyway, long way of my saying:  Practice, using the same fabric, batting, etc. before putting stitches to the "real" quilt!

Pixey

I usually use my regular polyester embroidery thread for my machine embroidery “quilting” because my quilted items are home decor such as wall hangings.

I know I was at an embroidery workshop one time and another participant was having fits with her machine with thread and needle breakage.  Turned out that the prior project she had been working on was piecing a quilt with cotton thread and she had forgotten to change her thread kit back out to polyester embroidery thread.  Once she went back to polyester thread, her problems went away.

If you want to use quilting thread, I would recommend slowing the machine down as much as possible and a top stitch needle with a larger eye to minimize thread drag.  And use the red dot bobbin case.

Pixey

On Aug 29, 2020, at 9:39 AM, Sherryl Doran via groups.io <crafttwoman@...> wrote:

I am getting ready to try to hoop a quilt project on my 12000. Since it will be a quilt pattern, not embroidery, which thread would you use, quilting or embroidery? And would quilt thread run ok in the embroidery bobbin? I use Superior So Fine #50 for quilting and Gutterman or Floriani for embroidery.

Lyn Quine

In honesty the thread was probably ok it’s more likely the bobbin, they say they fit multiple machine but actually they are often a little bit different to the branded ones for your machines.  I bought some prewounds, along with some thread, they were supposedly suited to Janomes.  I have 4 Janomes and all 4 machines, the stitch quality was really bad and they bounced around in the machine.  Bought Janome prewounds and they were great, no noise stitch quality great.  Sad to say, we can’t get Janome prewounds in the UK, we have to buy them from the States so there’s duty and VAT and shipping which makes them too expensive.

Sherryl Doran

Thanks for the reply. I always use my own bobbins that I wind myself. Guess I will just have to practice first.

Sherryl Doran

Thanks for the info. Have to see if I have some embroidery thread in the right color that isn't shiny since I don't want the quilting to be different sheen than the parts of the quilt I have already done.

Sherryl Doran

I wind my own bobbins. Was just trying to decide if I could use my quilting thread on top in embroidery function even though it won't be actual embroidery but a quilting pattern. And wondered which bobbin case to use if I use quilting thread. Or must I use the embroidery bobbin case and embroidery thread in it since it will be an in-the-hoop project.

Lyn Quine

I often use Aurifil 50wt and recently started using Iris 50.  Had quite good results.  If I’m doing it on the embroidery side of my 15000 or 12000 I still use quilt cotton but experiment with the different bobbin cases and adjust the top tension.

Vikki Youngmeyer

You can reuse the pre-wound bobbins when empty and wind your own. There is a difference between the aftermarket “supposedly suited bobbins for Janome machines” and the actual bobbins manufactured by Janome. I bought a box of 50 red Janome bobbins that came directly from Janome. I know that for a fact as I was working in an LQS that sold Janome machines. We had an order come in one day with notions from Janome and bobbins were in that order. When you put the Janome bobbins side by side with the aftermarket ones you can see differences in the shapes.

Vikki

Houston, TX