Topics

Thread - Off-brand?

Cat - N

Have anyone ever heard of "Thread Nanny" thread?  I was 'gifted' some of it and found only a little about it/the company, namely, I found a website:

http://www.threadnanny.com

...and a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ThreadNanny/

Is this a reseller of some other mfg/brand/import...an 'off-brand' company?

I opened a few cones and stitched some tests with it, and the tests seemed okay, so I wrote all the color numbers and names down, but I see even on the FB page that some folks are looking for a color chart and getting no response from the company.  It seems to be sold on Amazon, eBay, and their website but that's about all I have seen.  I haven't gone through their website looking at the colors or anything...no time for that sort of thing for me just now...LOL

Curious only...TIA

- Cat

Jim Stutsman

It appears that they are just re-selling someone else’s thread under their name. For example, BroThread started by making a line of thread that contained all of the Brother thread colors. Recently they added another 78 to mirror the Janome colors. I don’t have any of the Thread Nanny threads, but their website photos seem to show spools with no manufacturing markings. They promise to duplicate the Brother colors. One reason there is no chart is likely because the chart would then reveal what company is making the thread.

Cat - N

Thank you, Jim.  

- Cat

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Mar 3, 2020 8:43 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Thread - Off-brand?

It appears that they are just re-selling someone else’s thread under their name. For example, BroThread started by making a line of thread that contained all of the Brother thread colors. Recently they added another 78 to mirror the Janome colors. I don’t have any of the Thread Nanny threads, but their website photos seem to show spools with no manufacturing markings. They promise to duplicate the Brother colors. One reason there is no chart is likely because the chart would then reveal what company is making the thread.

Meryl Margolies

I bought a selection of Thread Nanny threads quite some time ago. Love the colors and stitches without any problems. Would buy again.
--
Thank you,
Meryl

Cat - N

Thank you, Meryl.

I have had minimal issues with the thread...occasional shredding, but it happens with other thread occasionally, too.  I don't have a problem with the colors either, and they have stayed vibrant so far.  It's difficult to tell them from the Metro thread by looking at them.  I already had a complete Metro collection, so have used some of the Thread Nanny thread when I needed extra shades of colors, and no problems with it so far.  I just never heard of them and wasn't finding much about the company or the thread.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with this thread. 

- Cat

Cynthia Dickerson

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 05:56 AM, Meryl Margolies wrote:
I bought a selection of Thread Nanny threads quite some time ago. Love the colors and stitches without any problems. Would buy again.
--
Thank you,
Meryl

Cynthia Dickerson

I also have bought some of the Thread Nanny threads.  I loved the colors and it sewed out beautifully on two different sewing machines, Singer and the Janome 15,000.   I was very pleased with it.

Cat - N

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Thread Nanny thread, Cynthia.  It seemed okay to me, and I have quite a bit of it so it's nice to know that others have used it and liked it since I am far from 'expert' in embroidery thread quality.

- Cat (FL)

Jim Stutsman

I have added Thread Nanny to ThreadBook, but only the 63 Brother colors I could find a chart for. This page on Amazon seems to suggest that it may be closely affiliated with SMB Always, which is also sold under the Embroidex label with the same numbers.

Cat - N

OMG...thank you!  I will grab the iPad and take a look as soon as I can...now that I just finished quilting the St. Patrick's Day Table Toppers.  That is so very kind of you, and completely unexpected on my part. 

I looked at the link you sent, and also looked at some of the Brothread charts that were on the Amazon pages, and then I counted the number of spools of Thread Nanny thread that I have (I made a list of them in Excel, so counting was easy...LOL), and it turns out there are 100 in my list, but I also noted that some of the colors were so close to each other that I cross-referenced them and made notes.  Some of the names and numbers in the Brothread list definitely match what I have in my Thread Nanny list.  I do have to say that the 260 spool collection advertised as being "Thread Nanny" thread is 'impressive'...so many shades of thread!  But it is even nicer to be able to look the thread up online and get information of the thread you are using, which was what 'confused' me when I first started looking at the spools I have...as a novice machine embroiderer...and I was wondering why there were such huge 'gaps' in the color numbering sequences, so it makes more sense now.

Of course, the Metro thread line I bought is discontinued now, too...

Thank you for the work you have done on this, Jim!  Very impressive...well above 'the call of duty' IMHO!!!

- Cat (FL)