Thread nest

Anne <csarina43@...>

Jim,

I have been having trouble since yesterday sewing free standing lace on Romeo. The first two angels I did stitched out perfectly although I did get a few thread breaks. When I started on the third I started getting problems with nesting and this morning its horrendous.

I have put a photo in Anne A;s Album of what I found when I managed to extract the hoop from the machine and chooped away to free it from the bobbin race. I am using fine cotton thread top and bottom, a red needle, straight stitch plate and have lifted the presser foot to 2mm as instructed in the instructions. I have examined the bobbin case carefully with the magnifying glass and casnnot see any burrs on the case. I am about at my wits end, have onlt had the machine as week. It is reminding me more and more of the problems they had with the bobbin bases on the 11000!! although mine was ok.

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Anne it looks as though the thread may not have been in the take-up lever. At 1,000 stitches per minute this can create a huge nest in seconds. With the take-up lever being hidden in this machine, it's helpful to open the door while threading to make sure the thread clicks into the eye of the lever, rather than just looping over the top which will inevitably come off.

If you are certain that it was in the take-up lever, the thread might not have made it into the tension properly. I'm sure you had the presser foot raised when you threaded it, but perhaps the tension release did not open fully. If this continues to be a problem you should have your dealer check it.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <csarina43@...> wrote:

[...]

Anne, Diane has mentioned something that I missed, namely raising the presser foot to 2mm. I'm not sure what directions told you to do this, but that could well be a problem. Water soluble Romeo has a tendency to stretch a bit while you are sewing. Raising the foot will allow it to flutter, which can create all sorts of sewing problems. That may well be why you had thread breaks. Try it again without raising the foot. The default setting should be fine.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <csarina43@...> wrote:

Jim,

I have been having trouble since yesterday sewing free standing lace on Romeo. The first two angels I did stitched out perfectly although I did get a few thread breaks. When I started on the third I started getting problems with nesting and this morning its horrendous.

Anne <csarina43@...>

Hi Jim,

the thread was in the take up lever and I am pretty sure it had gone through the thension, it had been sewing normally when it suddenly started to sew on itself, I stopped the machine quickly but was too late to stop it, I had to cut the whole thing away to get it out.

The instructions to raise the foot to 2mm are in the instruction book for sewing free standing lace can I lower it more than the default? The machine sewed fine the first two angels, it started playing silly b's yesterday when I was using maderia 40 rayon thread, I decided to try using the fine cotton again this morning and it was fine for a while, then bang off it went again.

The design is very dense, I wondered if enlarging it a bit would help, but am loath to try it as I am wasting romeo at a good rate of knots and its not cheap. I did wonder if the Maderia thread might be dry and benefit from ovenight in the fridge?

One thing that really annoys me is the machine telling you there is not enough thread on the bobbin to continue even when the control is set to 0 what can you do with all the bits of thread left on the bobbins. There is only so much hand sewing you can do, eventually you will end up with all your bobbins filled with the remains of full bobbins.

I am not sure where the designs came from but I do know a friend has the same set and hers sewed out fine although she was using marathon thread.

Donna Morton

I see the instruction book does mention raising the foot height to 2 mm but it also mentions to slow the machine to 600 spm.  I suspect though that as Jim has mentioned, the Romeo did stretch during stitching.  When this happens the registration of the design migrates and the needle hits a dense spot in the lace design and doesn’t penetrate the dense area properly.  This causes the thread nest.  I would switch to a fabric like water soluble and see if the problem continues.  Line the inner hoop with something like light weight shelf matting so the fabric like water soluble stabilizer doesn’t slip in the hoop during stitching.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:28 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Thread nest

--- In mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com, "Anne" wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I have been having trouble since yesterday sewing free standing lace on Romeo. The first two angels I did stitched out perfectly although I did get a few thread breaks. When I started on the third I started getting problems with nesting and this morning its horrendous.

Anne <csarina43@...>

Donna, I actually had the machine running at 400spm and it still made a mess. I have put a photo in Anne A's Album of the 4 I have managed to do 3 were done in fine cotton and one in maderia, it was while I was using the maderia the machine started acting up, thread breaking and nesting. I changed back to the fine cotton and it carried on, so I am at loss to know what to do, I have a feeling the machine is going back to the shop if I cannot sort it out.

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Aha! With more information we can offer more help. There are a couple of points to make here. First, Madeira thread is 40wt, perhaps as much as twice as thick as the fine cotton. Throw in a red tip (size 14) needle and you have bigger holes. If there are stitches shorter than 1.4mm (not impossible in FSL) you wind up with two stitches in a single needle hole. All that loose thread can lead to trouble. Even without short stitches, the extra thick thread in an area of dense stitching is a recipe for disaster. Finally, Romeo is hard on needles. Did you change needles after doing the 3 with fine cotton? Dull needles lead to trouble too.

Back in our FSL days we used Mettler 60wt fine embroidery cotton thread to great success. We also really liked the Janome 60wt and 90wt serger (overlocker) thread. It was extra fine and made beautiful lace. We also used only blue tip (size 11) needles.

I should add that we had an MB-4 customer doing regular embroidery (not FSL) with exactly the same problem you've had. In her case it was doing an extra dense design with size 14 needles. We switched her to 80wt thread and a size 90 needle and all the problems were cured. In addition the embroidery was exquisite and she quickly began adding customers. The lesson we learned is that needle and thread sizes are critically important, more so in the case of dense designs!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <csarina43@...> wrote:

Donna, I actually had the machine running at 400spm and it still made a mess. I have put a photo in Anne A's Album of the 4 I have managed to do 3 were done in fine cotton and one in maderia, it was while I was using the maderia the machine started acting up, thread breaking and nesting. I changed back to the fine cotton and it carried on, so I am at loss to know what to do, I have a feeling the machine is going back to the shop if I cannot sort it out.

Anne <csarina43@...>

Is this what you were talking about Jim

Is this what you were talking about Jim?

Mettler Fine Embroidery Cotton 60/2 800m

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

That's the one!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <csarina43@...> wrote:

Is this what you were talking about Jim

Is this what you were talking about Jim?

Mettler Fine Embroidery Cotton 60/2 800m

Frecia Kelly

My 11,000 was making this kind of mess.  I sent it to the mechanic twice because it just kept getting worse...not better.

The last time, they replaced the entire hook mechanism, and it seems to be working beautifully now.

Stuff like this is why I have a service contract.

I suppose it is possible that I wore out the hook mechanism.  This machine runs most days.  With 4 grandchildren, there is always one of them that wants something their friends can't get.  They are fast learning that if the world doesn't make what you want....do it yourself.  Now if I could get them interested in DOING it themselves instead of running to Grandma.....

Fyfee

Anne <csarina43@...>

Latest report. This afternoon I deicded to stitch out a couple of ordinary designs on the machine, apart from a couple of thread breaks it was fine, so obviously it is the thread, combined with the dense stitches which is causing the problem. I will have another go when I get the lace thread. I hope it works I have an order for 6 of the angels.

Is it possible to get designs re- digitized? I do like them, but am not prepared to go through hell to sew them.

Thanks for your help Jim I really appreciate it, I began to think I was going loopy.