Topics

The blob at the beginning of sewing

favymtz

So MANY people complain about the blob of thread on the bobbin side of the fabric!
This is the trick that will help immensely.
Pull up the bobbin thread (use the Needle up down function)
Make sure both of the thread tails are leading off to the RIGHT of your sewing.
Start sewing and you'll see that the blob (I call them goobers!) are eliminated.
Remember, it's the thread to the right, not the back, not the left. The right!
Good luck!
--
Favymtz

favymtz

Actually I should have said that you don’t have to pull up the bobbin thread, just make sure the upper thread is going off to the right.
Sorry about that. If we were always having to pull the bobbin thread up that could be a nuisance, I only pull it up if it matters to me how the back will look, and  pull it up through the layers of fabric.
Favymtz

--
Favymtz

Mary Sanerkin

Hi favymtz

I just used your technique to pull the threads through to the right.  It works beautifully. I always pulled threads to the left.  Not sure why it should make a difference but it obviously does, so thanks for the tip.

Mary

On 15 May 2020, at 14:23, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Actually I should have said that you don’t have to pull up the bobbin thread, just make sure the upper thread is going off to the right.
Sorry about that. If we were always having to pull the bobbin thread up that could be a nuisance, I only pull it up if it matters to me how the back will look, and  pull it up through the layers of fabric.
Favymtz

--
Favymtz

Sara

Favymtz
I can't thank you enough for this wonderful tip...I have made several dozen masks and always have that (goober). I have already used it on a dozen of them works like a charm....Thank again, Sara

In a message dated 5/14/2020 9:11:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, favymtz@... writes:

So MANY people complain about the blob of thread on the bobbin side of the fabric!
This is the trick that will help immensely.
Pull up the bobbin thread (use the Needle up down function)
Make sure both of the thread tails are leading off to the RIGHT of your sewing.
Start sewing and you'll see that the blob (I call them goobers!) are eliminated.
Remember, it's the thread to the right, not the back, not the left. The right!
Good luck!
--
Favymtz

Cat - N

I wish I could remember the link 'off the top of my head' to share, but there is a Janome video that I saw, where they say, and demonstrate, to pull both threads together to the right when starting to sew a seam to eliminate the entanglement of bobbin and spool threads on the bottom of the workpiece.  Of course, when quilting or embroidering, where you might not be able to see the bottom of the workpiece for quite a while, you can pull the bobbin thread to the top at the beginning of sewing.  I don't personally like 'the blob' but there are many seams sewn on my machine where that 'blob' will never be seen again because another seam will lessen its importance by being enclosed, encased and hidden, or the 'blob' might even get pinked or serged off.  I definitely dislike seeing a 'blob' on sheer fabrics.

- Cat

Carole Hollmann

Favymtz —

The reason why I was the most recent complainer about the blob at the beginning of a seam is that I once attended a sewing event where we had a large room of Janome is 15000 machines. The one I was using was perfect; I could start a seam not quite on the material and have nary a blob. This did not require any thread holding. I then moved to five or six other other machines with my fabric scrap in hand and most were also perfect. I have cursed my personal machine ever since.

You have now saved me from my futile desire for perfection. I will now always hold my thread to the right when I start. I must have tested it 50 times in the last two days sewing masks and other things and the thread-to-the-right technique worked every time.  And you are correct that you only have to hold the top thread.  Yay!

Now does anyone have suggestions on how to sew through thicker material?  I’m not talking multi-layer denim—just a double or triple layer of thicker, rougher cotton. It is as if the feed dogs aren’t pulling the fabric through.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

Carole

On May 14, 2020, at 9:16 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

So MANY people complain about the blob of thread on the bobbin side of the fabric!
This is the trick that will help immensely.
Pull up the bobbin thread (use the Needle up down function)
Make sure both of the thread tails are leading off to the RIGHT of your sewing.
Start sewing and you'll see that the blob (I call them goobers!) are eliminated.
Remember, it's the thread to the right, not the back, not the left. The right!
Good luck!
--
Favymtz

Pixey

In response to your question about thicker materials, you don’t indicate which foot that you are using.   If it is a straight stitch foot A, you might try increasing the foot pressure or use the Accuflex foot.  If you are already using the Accuflex, then the hook at the back might be popping out.  In which case, you might want to lighten the foot pressure.
Pixey

On May 15, 2020, at 7:11 PM, Carole Hollmann via groups.io <macee55@...> wrote:

[...]

Pam Davison

Use the hump jumper for the thicker seams.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Cynthia Dickerson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5YV1iBMTRQ&feature=youtu.be

Here is the link for the video if anyone doesn't quite understand what to do.  My very favorite tip!!!

Jet

I was taught in Home Ec class to pull the top thread and bobbin thread to the left whenever you start sewing! This was in ‘76 or ‘77. I still always bring up my bobbin thread!

Jeanette

Ceil J

Cynthia,
Yes, I remember seeing that video and thinking that I had to bring up the bobbin thread too but it works with just the top thread!  Thank you for the reminder.  Great quick video.
Ceil

Suzanne Martin

I've tried only pulling the top thread to the right and it worked great!  Thank you so much for this tip!

Thank you!
Suzanne Martin, GRI
Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg LLC
suzmar45@...
(407) 234-6906

On Sat, May 16, 2020, 11:29 AM Jet via groups.io <jet31062=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was taught in Home Ec class to pull the top thread and bobbin thread to the left whenever you start sewing!  This was in ‘76 or ‘77. I still always bring up my bobbin thread!

Jeanette

valora hammond

Ok. Just a guess here for the thicker fabrics.  Since the machine auto adjust for thickness, have the hover/pivot function turned on- and then just stop at the thickness- let the foot adjust to the thickness and the continue sewing.  Not sure if that would help but did when trying to free motion over badly pressed seems.