Topics

That white plastic part the bobbin sits atop....

Kathy Strabel

I am seeing a hairline crack in the white plastic ring that the bobbin sits on top of in my Skyline 7. Can anyone tell me the part number of that white plastic part and about how much it would cost to replace it---excluding labor, because that will vary from place to place, but maybe tell me the usual amount of time that might take to replace?  I am not having any actual problems with the machine, I just happened to be looking at some old posts and while changing my bobbin, I looked to see the condition of my white plastic ring (for lack of the proper name of the piece). Lo, and behold, there is a tiny crack. Wouldn't you just know it??
Thanks so much,
Kathy Strabel

Jim Stutsman

A hairline crack is not likely to cause any problems, and it's not worth a dealer trip to replace it. The part number is probably 627191000. At least that's what it was 9 years ago, before the Skyline 7. Replacement time is on the order of 5 minutes. I would just confirm with your dealer that they have the part (most don't) and ask for it to be replaced on your next service. I used to do that as a normal course of service, but not everyone does.

Kathy Strabel

Jim--Thanks for your response!! And hope your 4th was  a good one!   Regarding that white plastic piece that the bobbin sits atop in my S7---since it is such a quick repair (5 minutes), is it something that I could just switch out on my own? I see a screw holding it in. Is the replacement process just unscrewing that one screw and replacing the plastic part? I am not having any real issue; but if I can replace a part on my own, I would like to do that. As a preventive, maintenance thing. .   Thank you!!!
Kathy Strabel   Camas  WA

Jim Stutsman

It's definitely not "rocket surgery" as they say. Yes, it's held in place by that single Phillips screw and a bit of glue. I've never used glue in replacing the disc, and I kind of think they use the glue in the factory assembly process to hold it in place until it gets to the "put in the screw" station. Your only difficulty might be in getting the part. It will have to come from a dealer. Getting the old one out is slightly tricky, because of the shape of it. Since I am tossing the old one I generally just brute force it out, bending as needed. Putting in the new one requires a little patience to orient it so it goes in correctly. You might snap a photo before you take the old on out, just to get a reference for positioning. You kind of tip it to get it under the rim of the hook race, and then turn it to get the "tongue" bit to go through the large slot. Once you have it in the hook race you can usually just turn the hand wheel until the screw hole lines up. This is a case where a magnetic screwdriver is REALLY helpful. The screw is small, and it is perilously easy for it to drop down into the bed of the machine. That's not fatal, but now you have more screws to take out to get it back. A magnetized screwdriver will hold it until you get it started in the mounting hole.

When ordering you might consider getting 2 or 3 of the discs. They are quite cheap, should not be more than $1-2 each. Broken needles have a way of finding their way down to dig a new groove in the disc.