Testing needle wear

Pixey

I have been getting my sewing room back in order and unearthed 3 different pincushions where I had stashed gently used needles. This was usually from where I had done a small project (not enough to wear out the needle) but the next project needed a different needle but I kept forgetting to go back to the slightly used one. Most of the needles are blue tip and purple tip, with a couple of red tips and Organ Topstitch needles thrown in as well.

Does anyone have a good test or tips for determining needle wear that I could use to get a sense of how worn out these needles actually are? Unfortunately, my recollection of what I might have actually used them for is nonexistent.

Thanks,
Pixey

Sally on the WE(s)T Side

Pixey, my standard tests:
1. does it make a popping sound when it hits the fabric
2. does it shred the thread
3. does it leave a cut or visible hole
4. can you feel a rough spot on the tip or does it snag a piece of nylon stocking or other similar fabric
If the answer is yes to any of the above, then put it in an old medicine bottle with a child-proof lid to be disposed of properly.  Otherwise you can use them.  You can use some questionable needles to make paper fold lines in computer printed patterns (lengthen the stitch and don't use thread) and for decorating cards with stitched designs.

Sally, who has a pincushion full of machine needles

Sally

--

Pixey

Thanks Sally.  This is helpful...and yes, the childproof medical bottles are great for securing and disposing of worn out needles and pins.

Pixey