Tension problems for Ordinary Sewing

m1955seamstress

Hi,
I'm brand new to this forum. I just upgraded my 11000 SE to the 12000 and got my new machine about a week and a half ago. I'm having problems with the tension on my machine just doing normal ordinary sewing! I have the bobbin case without the yellow dot in my machine. I have changed needles, rechecked the threading of the machine several times now!

I'm sure I should not have to adjust the tension settings just to do even cotton or denim, but there are small loops on the bottom of the fabric.

It's probably me, but I called my dealer and he tried to zig zag with his machine in the store and had to adjust the tension!

He was going to contact Janome and get back with me next week.

Has anyone else had problems or am I doing something wrong here? I've been using Janome machines for at least 15 years now and have sewn for over 40 years!

Thanks for any advice you can give. I'm thinking I may have to take my machine back to the dealer to figure out the problem.

Thanks,
Marla

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

It sounds like the tension is not operating correctly. There might be something stuck in there, like a small piece of styrofoam packing. Turn it off and raise the presser foot as high as it will go. Fold a strip of fabric and put the folded edge into the tension slot. Work it back and forth like dental floss. This will usually knock loose anything that's in there. Then turn the machine back on. Put some thread in the slot, lower the foot, and pull on the thread. You should feel resistance. If you don't then there is definitely a problem with the tension, and your dealer should be able to fix it.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "m1955seamstress" <m1955seamstress@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim,
Thanks for that advice.  I tried that but nothing caught in there.  I assume you're talking about the upper tension area in the area that is numbered "3".  No luck.

Could it be something with the bobbin case?  A lady I became acquainted with on the Janome forum sent me an email and suggested several things including trying the bobbin case with the yellow dot.  I haven't tried that, but thinking I shouldn't have to do that to get correct tension.

So frustrated right now as it's looking like I'm going to have to drive an hour back to my dealer and have him look at it.

This lady also suggested downloading the upgrade which I haven't done yet, but pretty sure that won't help either!  But she was just grasping at straws.

Thanks again for that tip.

Marla

--- In janome12000@..., "m1955seamstress" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm brand new to this forum. I just upgraded my 11000 SE to the 12000 and got my new machine about a week and a half ago. I'm having problems with the tension on my machine just doing normal ordinary sewing! I have the bobbin case without the yellow dot in my machine. I have changed needles, rechecked the threading of the machine several times now!
>
> I'm sure I should not have to adjust the tension settings just to do even cotton or denim, but there are small loops on the bottom of the fabric.
>
> It's probably me, but I called my dealer and he tried to zig zag with his machine in the store and had to adjust the tension!
>
> He was going to contact Janome and get back with me next week.
>
> Has anyone else had problems or am I doing something wrong here? I've been using Janome machines for at least 15 years now and have sewn for over 40 years!
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give. I'm thinking I may have to take my machine back to the dealer to figure out the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Marla

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

When the machine is threaded and set for straight stitch #1, sew an inch or so and stop, leaving the foot down. Cut the needle thread at the front of the needle, above the eye, grab the free end and pull on it. You should feel a lot of resistance. If it comes easy, then the problem is in the needle tension and you'll need dealer assistance. If, however, the thread is fairly hard to pull, raise the foot, clip the bobbin thread and remove the fabric. Pull on the free end of the bobbin thread. It should come much easier than the needle thread, with just a little resistance. Compare the resistance of the regular bobbin case against that of the yellow dot case. The yellow dot should be much more resistant. If they are about the same, it may be that you got a yellow dot case that didn't get marked. Or if the yellow dot is LESS resistant, they may have just dotted the wrong case. Try using it for regular sewing.

Let's assume that the problem is all in the bobbin tension. You can fix that yourself. Here's how:
1. Sew about 3" on scrap using straight stitch #1.
2. If the bobbin is too tight you'll see little loops on the bottom and the bobbin thread on the bottom will be perfectly straight and easy to pull out. If it's too loose you'll see bobbin thread peeking through on top. Use different colors in the needle and bobbin to make it easier.
3. For bobbin too tight, turn the SLOTTED screw on the front of the case (It's at the 6 o'clock position when the case is in the machine) about 1/8 of a turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. If it's too loose, turn 1/8 turn CLOCKWISE.
4. Sew again and check. Repeat step 3 if needed. If nothing has changed after a couple of adjustments, do not keep tightening or loosening, as the problem is elsewhere and you won't fix it by endless tightening or loosening. You should see a change after the first adjustment.

While there are things that can cause problems that look like bad tension, you wouldn't see those on a new machine. There are only two components to the tension - needle and bobbin. After these tests you should know which one has the problem. Hopefully it's as simple as mis-marked bobbin cases and you won't need a dealer trip.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Marla Cooprider <m1955seamstress@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much for this advice. I will try those things.  I may not get it done today but will definitely try everything you have suggested before calling my dealer.  I will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again so much!

Marla

--- In janome12000@..., Marla Cooprider wrote:

> Jim,
> Thanks for that advice.  I tried that but nothing caught in there.  I assume you're talking about the upper tension area in the area that is numbered "3".  No luck.
>
> Could it be something with the bobbin case?  A lady I became acquainted with on the Janome forum sent me an email and suggested several things including trying the bobbin case with the yellow dot.  I haven't tried that, but thinking I shouldn't have to do that to get correct tension.
>
> So frustrated right now as it's looking like I'm going to have to drive an hour back to my dealer and have him look at it.
>
> This lady also suggested downloading the upgrade which I haven't done yet, but pretty sure that won't help either!  But she was just grasping at straws.
>
> Thanks again for that tip.
>
> Marla

m1955seamstress

Jim,
Ok, I tested with a straight stitch.   I cut the thread above the needle hole as instructed and pulled and found resistance.

I pulled on the bobbin thread and it pulled with a little resistance but not nearly like the top thread.

Then I put the bobbin case in with the yellow dot.  It stitched fine with the straight stitch.  But then I used a zig zag stitch #3 and it is pulling the top thread to the underside with little loops just like using the bobbin case without the yellow dot.  I am using Gutermann thread in both the top and bobbin case for regular sewing.  I use this thread all the time for garment construction.  My test fabric is two layers of batiste I picked up at JoAnn.  I have also tested on denim using a needle for denim as well as using a couple other scraps of fabric with various needles.  So hoping it's just a matter of tweaking the bobbin case...but would both be messed up?!

I'm confused!  I have to leave for awhile but if you can give me advice on what to do next, I'd sure appreciate it!  My dealer will hopefully be in the first of next week if I need to take it in for him to adjust for me.

I really appreciate your help so much!

Marla

> [...]

--- In janome12000@..., Marla Cooprider wrote:

> Jim,
> Thanks for that advice.  I tried that but nothing caught in there.  I assume you're talking about the upper tension area in the area that is numbered "3".  No luck.
>
> Could it be something with the bobbin case?  A lady I became acquainted with on the Janome forum sent me an email and suggested several things including trying the bobbin case with the yellow dot.  I haven't tried that, but thinking I shouldn't have to do that to get correct tension.
>
> So frustrated right now as it's looking like I'm going to have to drive an hour back to my dealer and have him look at it.
>
> This lady also suggested downloading the upgrade which I haven't done yet, but pretty sure that won't help either!  But she was just grasping at straws.

m1955seamstress

Jim,
Hi again.  Sorry for so many emails.  I just got back home and turned the little screw on the bobbin case without the yellow dot counterclockwise a little but didn't help whatsoever.  I turned it a little more and still no luck.

Thanks for those suggestions.  If you have any other ideas, I would sure appreciate them!

I will be calling my dealer back next week.  Looking like it may possibly take a trip into town unless there's something he can walk me through over the phone.

My set mode says auto tension for ordinary sewing.  The other day my dealer had me adjust that and it still wasn't perfect tension.

Marla

> [...]

--- In janome12000@..., Marla Cooprider wrote:

> Jim,
> Thanks for that advice.  I tried that but nothing caught in there.  I assume you're talking about the upper tension area in the area that is numbered "3".  No luck.
>
> Could it be something with the bobbin case?  A lady I became acquainted with on the Janome forum sent me an email and suggested several things including trying the bobbin case with the yellow dot.  I haven't tried that, but thinking I shouldn't have to do that to get correct tension.
>
> So frustrated right now as it's looking like I'm going to have to drive an hour back to my dealer and have him look at it.
>
> This lady also suggested downloading the upgrade which I haven't done yet, but pretty sure that won't help either!  But she was just grasping at straws.

Donna Morton

You really should be using the bobbin case with the red dot for ordinary sewing.  The book is quite clear on this.  Change the bobbin case and I’m sure the problem will be solved.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 6:12 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Tension problems for Ordinary Sewing

[...]

Whoops!!  Sorry, should have read to the bottom of my e-mails before I butted in.  Good luck with this.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 8:00 PM

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 6:12 PM

[...]

Donna,
I am confused here.  I have no bobbin case with a red dot on it.  I have a bobbin case with no dot at all and then I have a bobbin case with a yellow dot for embroidery.  Am I supposed to have one with a red dot?

Marla

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 6:12 PM

[...]

That's ok, Donna.  But is there a bobbin case with a red dot?  I don't have one of those.  Maybe that's the problem if that's the case.

Marla

Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 8:00 PM

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 6:12 PM

[...]

vicki chrobak

I don't have a bobbin case with a red dot either although there is a red mark above the screw area. Just black where the yellow dot is on emb. case.

--
Vicki Jo

m1955seamstress

Oh bummer!  I was hoping that Janome put the wrong bobbin case in my machine!  So much for that!  Yes, mine has the little red marks but no red "dots" like the one with the yellow dot!  :(

Marla

I don't have a bobbin case with a red dot either although there is a red
mark above the screw area. Just black where the yellow dot is on emb. case.

--
Vicki Jo

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The red "dot" on the standard bobbin case is actually just a red arrow at the 5 o'clock position showing how to line up the bobbin case when putting it in the machine. The special embroidery bobbin case has a yellow dot inside the case next to the bobbin sensor flipper and its alignment arrow has no paint at all on it.