Topics

Tension

danlin@...

I have the 12000 and am having problems with the tension in embroidery mode only. There is none! The thread pulls through loosely whether the foot is down or up. The top thread is what you see on the underneath, very little bobin thread. In the sewing mode no problems. Does anyone know what could be causing this? 
--
LindaB

onlinesewing@...

Are you changing bobbin cases for embroidery? Even if you are, it's probably a top tension issue. Since the mechanism is the same for both sewing and embroidery, it has to be due to the machine software making it looser. First check your settings in the Embroidery SET screen. Make sure the tension hasn't been set toward the minus. Also make sure that the thread is actually going into the tension when threading for embroidery - use the LOCK button before threading. If none of that pans out, then I would download and install/reinstall the 1.20 machine update. It's rare, but something in the machine programming may have gotten glitched, particularly if there were power issues at some point. It only takes a single bit to change between 0 and 1 to drastically change how the machine operates. If that doesn't clear it up, see your dealer for a checkup.

Virginia

Ypur top thread is supposed to pull to the bottom.  That is correct. The top is all you should see on the yop
 Do not know what you mean by loose. Are you using a spool stand?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/13/18 4:52 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Tension

I have the 12000 and am having problems with the tension in embroidery mode only. There is none! The thread pulls through loosely whether the foot is down or up. The top thread is what you see on the underneath, very little bobin thread. In the sewing mode no problems. Does anyone know what could be causing this? 
--
LindaB

danlin@...

-- yes I am using a thread stand. When I say the thread is loose I mean that there is absolutely no tension. The underneath of the embroidery has very little bobbin thread. What is so weird is that in sewing mode the tension is fine. 
LindaB

danlin@...

yes I am changing my bobin cases and have gone to the Embroidery set screen and have set it at the highess setting and still absolutely no tension. What is weird is that there is some on the sewing mode! Thank you for the auick reply. I will try the update.
--
LindaB

Virginia

If there are no loops pn the front and the front looks ok that is how it is supposed to be. I have the 15000 and had the 12000 and it was and is the same. If the bobbin thtead was showing on top that would be a problem. Embroidery is different. Not a good idea yo syart changing tensions. Let your dealer check that for you.

Date: 3/13/18 8:47 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Tension

-- yes I am using a thread stand. When I say the thread is loose I mean that there is absolutely no tension. The underneath of the embroidery has very little bobbin thread. What is so weird is that in sewing mode the tension is fine. 
LindaB

Laura Galto <lgalto@...>

Just wondering if you tried a different thread. I had similar problem during the holidays. I changed to another brand of thread I had on hand. That was it; the spool was fine at first, but in the middle it started acting up.  Turned out it was “weird” in the center - kind of wavy. 

Always nice when it’s easy 😉. 

On Mar 13, 2018, at 7:44 PM, danlin@... wrote:

yes I am changing my bobin cases and have gone to the Embroidery set screen and have set it at the highess setting and still absolutely no tension. What is weird is that there is some on the sewing mode! Thank you for the auick reply. I will try the update.
--
LindaB

Virginia

Sorry. Do not know why the machines were underlined.

Date: 3/14/18 9:06 AM (GMT-05:00)

If there are no loops pn the front and the front looks ok that is how it is supposed to be. I have the 15000 and had the 12000 and it was and is the same. If the bobbin thtead was showing on top that would be a problem. Embroidery is different. Not a good idea yo syart changing tensions. Let your dealer check that for you.

Date: 3/13/18 8:47 PM (GMT-05:00)

LindaB

Claire Schutz

And you ARE using the LOCK button when threading, Claire s.

On 3/13/2018 7:44 PM, danlin@... wrote:
--
LindaB

jan shaw

Hi;
I have the MC15000 upgraded to Quiltmaker. While using the yellow dot bobbin case and straight stitch plate for embroidery if I use a pre-wound bobbin of 80 weight and a 40 weight rayon on the top, I have the same issue as the original poster; no bobbin thread showing on the back, even if the embroidery tension is set to 10 (or all the way to the right). Or if I tighten the screw on the bobbin case 1/4 to 1/2 turn, this does not make any bobbin thread showing on the back of the embroidery.

If I use a 60 weight bobbin thread, pre-wound or wound on the machine I can see "some" bobbin thread on the back when using  40 weight thread on the top.

If I use the red dot bobbin case and 40 weight thread in the bobbin and 40 weight on top when looking at the back of the embroidery I have the classic 1/3rd top thread 1/3 bobbin thread 1/3 top thread showing.

Question:  Is this the software "glitch" referenced above with the 12000, or does the Janome not "play well" with such a difference in bobbin weight to top thread weight? Or does Janome not use the 1/3,1/3,1/3 rule for the back of a piece of embroidery? 

The machine has been serviced twice since I noticed this.
thanks

onlinesewing@...

This is NOT a glitch, it's how it's supposed to work. The yellow dot case has INCREASED tension for the bobbin, and is only used if you need it, i.e. bobbin is pulling up. By tightening the yellow dot tension you only made it worse. With the bobbins you are using you only need the red dot case. Put the yellow one away for future use if you start getting bobbin pull-up.

Virginia

You should not be having any issues with newQuiltmaker if the upgrade was done correctly.  I use the red dot for regular sewing and the yellow dot for all embroidery.  That is exactly what I used for my 12,000 as well.  

My tensions are set exactly as they were set at the factory and not been touched.  I have owned the 7700 the 11,000 the 300E the 12,000 the 7700QCP and the 15,000 Quiltmaker and never have I ever touched the tensions.  I think you might consider a trip to the dealer if you are concerned.  

Virginia

To: onlinesewing-janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Mar 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi;
I have the MC15000 upgraded to Quiltmaker. While using the yellow dot bobbin case and straight stitch plate for embroidery if I use a pre-wound bobbin of 80 weight and a 40 weight rayon on the top, I have the same issue as the original poster; no bobbin thread showing on the back, even if the embroidery tension is set to 10 (or all the way to the right). Or if I tighten the screw on the bobbin case 1/4 to 1/2 turn, this does not make any bobbin thread showing on the back of the embroidery.

If I use a 60 weight bobbin thread, pre-wound or wound on the machine I can see "some" bobbin thread on the back when using  40 weight thread on the top.

If I use the red dot bobbin case and 40 weight thread in the bobbin and 40 weight on top when looking at the back of the embroidery I have the classic 1/3rd top thread 1/3 bobbin thread 1/3 top thread showing.

Question:  Is this the software "glitch" referenced above with the 12000, or does the Janome not "play well" with such a difference in bobbin weight to top thread weight? Or does Janome not use the 1/3,1/3,1/3 rule for the back of a piece of embroidery? 

The machine has been serviced twice since I noticed this.
thanks