Tech support expiration on 15000

Marlyn

Edited

I have the Horizon 12000 which I love, but am giving thought to buying the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000.  I believe that shortly after the new generation sewing/embroidery machine is debuted in September that Janome’s support for the 12000 will be discontinued.  So,  I was wondering what’s the estimate on how long Janome will continue to support the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000 since technically is ever advancing.

Heres the kicker, my dealer is offering a trade in on my Horizon 12000 for $4000 with purchase of Horizon 15000 for $12,999 and later he will apply the whole amount of the $9000. Towards the new machine that comes out in September if I want to change up to it and of course I would have pay the difference.  I am just wondering, if it is a wise idea to purchase the Horizon 15000 just for a few months.  For those of you who own the 15000, are you still impressed with it and would you  just as soon keep the 15000 or would you buy the next generation in September.   Your comments would be most appreciated.
Marlyn

Margaret Schwab

I don't buy a lot of machines; I guess my feeling is that unless there are big changes that allow me to do way more, I would be content with my 15000. I also own the memory craft 10001 and the 3160 QDC. The 10001 is set up for sewing when the 15000 is busy doing embroidery and the 3160 is for taking to class. I do all of my own quilting both free motion and walking foot and also do quite a bit for the quilting charity group I belong to. It all gets done on the 15000 even very large quilts. Sometimes that is a challenge, but it always seems to work. I have had the 15000 for almost 8 years and I think the only thing that would make me buy a newer model would be an extremely large throat that was closer to a mid- arm quilting machine. 
So, it is a personal choice for sure, but I am very pleased with my 15000. 
Margaret, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. 

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Stockman via groups.io <allanderkacz=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the Horizon 12000 which I love, but am giving thought to buying the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000.  I believe that shortly after the new generation sewing/embroidery machine is debuted in September that Janome’s support for the 12000 will be discontinued.  So,  I was wondering what’s the estimate on how long Janome will continue to support the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000 since technically is ever advancing.

Heres the kicker, my dealer is offering a trade in on my Horizon 12000 for $4000 with purchase of Horizon 15000 for $9000, and later he will apply the whole amount of the $9000. Towards the new machine that comes out in September if I want to change up to it and of course I would have pay the difference.  I am just wondering, if it is a wise idea to purchase the Horizon 15000 just for a few months.  For those of you who own the 15000, are you still expressed with it and would you  just as soon keep the 15000 or would you buy the next generation in September.   Your comments would be most appreciated.
Marlyn

Narda Poulin

I Think $9000 is way too much for the 15000...I bought mine $6000 4 years ago

Ceil J

Marlyn,
Not sure where you live but I think that price is way too high!  Also, prices for the 15000 should drop after the intro of the new machine but should never be at the MSRP.  I'm in the US and paid either $8000 or $9000 for my 15000  six year ago.  (sorry but memory is on the downslide).  Just my opinion.
Ceil

Pixey

Hi Marlyn,
Here are my thoughts on your conundrum...

First, you want to make sure you are getting a 15000 v3 Quiltmaker edition as it had some enhancements over the initially released 15000, such as the built in ruler foot functionality and some threader improvements.  I have an out of the box version 2 15000 that was upgraded by the dealer to a 15000 v3 Quiltmaker.  I do enjoy using it and it still works well. 

Also, you talk about the possibility of only using the 15000 a few months.  There is no guarantee that you will want to immediately upgrade to the new machine being unveiled in August.  None of us know precisely what is actually coming, it just seems like a new TOL makes sense as Janome has done upgrades of other machine paths the past several years. I honestly cannot identify anything that would be so “wow” as to necessarily warrant an immediate trade-in.  Given how much you like your 12000, you may decide really love your new 15000 and keep it longer.

Another thing to consider is whether any of the new machines are even going to be available.  With the current chip shortages and port backlogs (which many vendors are saying will continue on into 2022), they may unveil a new machine in August but dealers may not have many on hand at first.

Finally, I know some members of the group are early adopters when a new machine comes out and that is fine (to each their own).  However, when it comes to major new releases, I prefer to sit back a bit, read the reviews and wait for some of the bugs to get worked out with updates.  That way I have a better idea of what to expect if I do get the machine.   I think I usually get a better price that way too.  

On the one hand, I think the price he is quoting you for a potentially end of life cycle machine is a little high.  But on the flip side, he is giving you a very generous trade on your 12000 which will only continue to degrease in value, probably dramatically after a new replacement is announced.  So a 15000 upgrade does make some sense.

Pixey

On Jun 10, 2021, at 3:48 PM, Stockman via groups.io <allanderkacz@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I have the Horizon 12000 which I love, but am giving thought to buying the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000.  I believe that shortly after the new generation sewing/embroidery machine is debuted in September that Janome’s support for the 12000 will be discontinued.  So,  I was wondering what’s the estimate on how long Janome will continue to support the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000 since technically is ever advancing.

Heres the kicker, my dealer is offering a trade in on my Horizon 12000 for $4000 with purchase of Horizon 15000 for $12,999 and later he will apply the whole amount of the $9000. Towards the new machine that comes out in September if I want to change up to it and of course I would have pay the difference.  I am just wondering, if it is a wise idea to purchase the Horizon 15000 just for a few months.  For those of you who own the 15000, are you still expressed with it and would you  just as soon keep the 15000 or would you buy the next generation in September.   Your comments would be most appreciated.
Marlyn

Marlyn

Some of things that were mentioned, I did not give thought to.  Your comments has helped me to reach a decision. I think I should look for a better deal on the 15000, and not concern myself with moving too fast on the new release. 

I appreciate your feedback and the frank comments.
Marlyn

Lyn Quine

I have both 12000 and 15000, I upgraded my 15 to the quiltmaker, and I love both machines.  When they brought out the M7 I really wanted it, I thought it would make a good addition to my ‘stable’ of machines, but cost was the issue.  Then I saw it, a friend had one, and actually it isn’t dissimilar to my 15 on the sewing side, so I’m not that bothered now.  I am intrigued about this new machine, what can it offer?  I’ve had my 12 for 8 years and my 15 6 years this month, I haven’t yet managed to fully explore everything on the machines so far, so unless this new machine offer something very radical I won’t bother, cost is going to be an issue for me as well, so just as well I love my machines and am happy with them.  I do have a 6600P as well which is a fantastic work horse for any heavy work.

juliadlf.ny@...

Marlyn: I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago (time files) as I had a 12000 which was a great machine but when the Quiltmaker 15000 came out, I did a lot of research/comparison of features/prices and found I would use many that I did not have on the 12000. I picked a dealer not just for the $$'s but their competence in doing any hiccups that might occur. I've been very happy with my machine and only once had to take it to the dealer to look at the needle threader which was resolved while I waited for it. I love this machine and don't know if I'd ever trade up again. I haven't heard what the new machine release will be but I'm sure someone, somewhere has that info.
Take your time in buying and ask questions.  Good luck.
Julia

Nyssa Lanzafame

I am wondering....are you going to end up owing $5k when you trade-in the 12k?  $9000-$40000=$5000.  Or is $9k what you owe-that is steep, you would be able to pay that on special and keep the 12k! (Which is not worth much and why I kept my 11000SE).  Then when you go to buy the new model, is he going to charge you the MSRP price? Because again I find that the special price is UCB lower.   I know my dealer will do the full value with in a year, but takes it off MSRP....which I learned after, it would have cost me the same to keep my machine and buy the new one on special!  Now, if he is selling you the 15000 for $5k+12000, that I would consider, and you would get $9k off new machine if you decide it’s worth it to upgrade....I would think on that

Cat - N

Not meaning anything bad, but...

The dealer most local to my location only offered the 15000 v2 (which was newly released) to me for full MSRP...literally said the price was "$12,000" when I first looked at it in their store about 6 years ago.  About a year later, I drove nearly 100 miles one way to a dealer who saved me over $4,000 on the 15000's MSRP, and repaired my 11000, which the most local dealer had said wasn't broken at all but sent it home with a thread nest in the bobbin case and needle thread sticking up through the bobbin cover, and told me not to use Organ needles...only Janome 'painted tip'...which they had removed (a blue tip) from my 11000 and inserted their Organ needle which is what came back home in my 11000.  The area where I live is a lower economic area with lower pay scale than many other areas here, so items like that tend to be higher in cost...maybe because fewer perhaps are being sold locally...my guess...plus the nearest 'competing' dealer is about 100 miles in any direction at a minimum.

I declined to trade in my 11000 for the 15000...it is more valuable to me here than what I expected a trade-in value to be.  I couldn't recommend any course of action to you because my situation/need is likely not the same as your situation/need, but I absolutely intend to wait to see what Janome introduces before considering whether or not I am interested in the coming new product, especially considering that several machines live here, including a long arm quilter. But, my 'gut feeling' is that I would likely decline the offer you received if it was offered to me this early in the new model release cycle.  Of course, I dislike being the 'bleeding one' on the 'edge' of technology, having worked over 30 years in high tech and I.T.  What's okay as a 'corporate test' isn't necessarily okay in my bank account.

When I first began looking at the 15000, I had not even seen the MSRP for the machine, but even so, I felt that it wasn't a deal I was interested in...partly because of prices I'd been offered for other brands' TOL machines. 

As to liking the 15000, I do like it very much.  I've had some of the same issues that others have had...foot pedal warning (pedal replaced under warranty), needle threader (replaced under warranty with a new style threader), thread jumping out of the take up lever (I thread backwards now), but I do consider it a fine machine, and doubt I would want to trade it in on a new model anyway.  It is very capable, and I am nowhere near pressing all it's buttons in the five years I've been using it. 

I am a "find your product then your price" person, so I took my time on the 11000, and even longer on the 15000.  If you are truly in a hurry, it might be a good deal...couldn't say, but I wasn't in a hurry, so it was my choice to 'throttle back' and choose with logic and thoughtful consideration of all my options.

Good luck.  I'm sure you'll figure it all out.

- Cat

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 10, 2021 4:57 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Tech support expiration on 15000

Marlyn,
Not sure where you live but I think that price is way too high!  Also, prices for the 15000 should drop after the intro of the new machine but should never be at the MSRP.  I'm in the US and paid either $8000 or $9000 for my 15000  six year ago.  (sorry but memory is on the downslide).  Just my opinion.
Ceil

Cynthia Dickerson

I would not take this deal.  This is way to much money.  You should call around.  You can do much better!

Cheryl Paul

Marlyn,

The trade-in price for the 12000 is fantastic, BUT he is NOT discounting the 15000 at all. You would NEVER pay $13,000 for that machine if you were paying cash up front for the 15000. It is definitely worth that amount for the things that is does but I don’t know anyone who paid that much unless there was a trade-in and they dealers tend to put the MSRP on the machine. That number is to give them some “wiggle” room to make deals and the deals change all the time. I think I got my 15000 and it was the first my dealer sold on September 30, 2013. The MSRP was about $11,000 at that time, but I didn’t pay nearly that much. I have upgraded the machine twice. There were parts needed and those weren’t free, except for the needle threader “fix”. The needle threader is still a very “iffy” thing for me, but the technician gets it to work the 110% that Janome said it would do for everyone - obviously I am not doing something correctly all of the time. It sews really well and that is what is the really important part of sewing, so I use the threader and if it doesn’t work after 2 tries, I do it the old fashioned way and carry on - I’ve had my time of being P.O’d on auto threading and moved on.

Back to your question: You could consider selling your 12000 privately and waiting for the new machine to come. If it happens to be something like 2 machines, as Janome did a couple years ago with the Continental M7 and the Embroidery only 550E and before that the MC9450 & 500E, you can then decide if you would like the 15000 - it is not going to increase in price, unless they do some sort of “spectular” upgrade on it, which I doubt. Why I like the 15000 and all those combo machines I owned before it starting at the MC10000 is that you can do both on one machine. I’ve taken all 4 of my combination sewing/embroidery machines to classes at various times. The 12000 and 15000 are a pain in the neck to take out but it is doable. I can’t imagine taking an embroidery machine and a sewing machine to a class though, however some dealers will have a sewing machine set up for the sewing parts of an embroidery class to be used if needed.

I’m on the fence about a new machine, as I purchased the Continental M7 about 18 months ago and I love it so much, that I can’t imagine what more they can do to a sewing machine, but I’ve been surprised before. I am a machine junky to say the least as I have 3 sewing machines, a serger AT2000 and a CoverHem 2000 set up in my sewing room ready to go at any time. I also have a 4120QDC for taking to classes (if we ever get any again). However, I gotten so spoiled with the automatic foot lift that I will sometimes take my Skyline S9, so I can be lazy at class too. I am 76 years old and still wanting to learn more, so I might just go ahead and get the new machine, but I won’t decide until I see it. I don’t have to be “the first” anymore, been than, done that.

I love Janome, as all the machines I use are Janome brand, but I have a Pfaff 1222 that I bought in 1974 and a Husqvarna serger that I bought in a weak moment - both of those sew beautifully, but don’t get used at all these days. Oh, I can’t forget my 2 old Singer Treadle machine from the days before electricity was in every home - probably from before 1940 - they are not family heirlooms, but ones I purchased because they looked nice.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Kathy Skagen

Cat,
That was some very good advice. I was also only offered the MSRP from my dealer when I enquired about the 15000 even as recently as a year ago. Some dealers just do not feel the need to offer a lower price. The 100 mile trip you made was well worth it for that kind of discount and getting your 11000 repaired. I'm glad you found that dealer.
:-)
Kathy

On Friday, June 11, 2021, 02:43:05 PM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

Not meaning anything bad, but...

The dealer most local to my location only offered the 15000 v2 (which was newly released) to me for full MSRP...literally said the price was "$12,000" when I first looked at it in their store about 6 years ago.  About a year later, I drove nearly 100 miles one way to a dealer who saved me over $4,000 on the 15000's MSRP, and repaired my 11000, which the most local dealer had said wasn't broken at all but sent it home with a thread nest in the bobbin case and needle thread sticking up through the bobbin cover, and told me not to use Organ needles...only Janome 'painted tip'...which they had removed (a blue tip) from my 11000 and inserted their Organ needle which is what came back home in my 11000.  The area where I live is a lower economic area with lower pay scale than many other areas here, so items like that tend to be higher in cost...maybe because fewer perhaps are being sold locally...my guess...plus the nearest 'competing' dealer is about 100 miles in any direction at a minimum.

I declined to trade in my 11000 for the 15000...it is more valuable to me here than what I expected a trade-in value to be.  I couldn't recommend any course of action to you because my situation/need is likely not the same as your situation/need, but I absolutely intend to wait to see what Janome introduces before considering whether or not I am interested in the coming new product, especially considering that several machines live here, including a long arm quilter. But, my 'gut feeling' is that I would likely decline the offer you received if it was offered to me this early in the new model release cycle.  Of course, I dislike being the 'bleeding one' on the 'edge' of technology, having worked over 30 years in high tech and I.T.  What's okay as a 'corporate test' isn't necessarily okay in my bank account.

When I first began looking at the 15000, I had not even seen the MSRP for the machine, but even so, I felt that it wasn't a deal I was interested in...partly because of prices I'd been offered for other brands' TOL machines. 

As to liking the 15000, I do like it very much.  I've had some of the same issues that others have had...foot pedal warning (pedal replaced under warranty), needle threader (replaced under warranty with a new style threader), thread jumping out of the take up lever (I thread backwards now), but I do consider it a fine machine, and doubt I would want to trade it in on a new model anyway.  It is very capable, and I am nowhere near pressing all it's buttons in the five years I've been using it. 

I am a "find your product then your price" person, so I took my time on the 11000, and even longer on the 15000.  If you are truly in a hurry, it might be a good deal...couldn't say, but I wasn't in a hurry, so it was my choice to 'throttle back' and choose with logic and thoughtful consideration of all my options.

Good luck.  I'm sure you'll figure it all out.

- Cat

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 10, 2021 4:57 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Tech support expiration on 15000

Marlyn,
Ceil

Fran

My dealer told me the ‘new’ machine is an existing machine with embroidery added for a mere $17,000.

Linda Thompson

I purchased a new 15000 V 3 1.5 years ago for $10,000 without a trade in.  It’s beautiful, the hoop is plenty big.  I cannot fathom a larger hoop.  So you are only getting $1,000 as a trade in.  I would not give him $9000 knowing a new machine will be here in less than 3 months.  Keep what you have, buy the 15000 later on when the prices are much less…or you can buy a used one for much less that was used as a trade in in September.  He is not playing fairly.  Your 12000 is still working, isn’t it…so be patient.  

Marlyn

Edited

My first machine was a 10000 which I traded up to 11000, and traded that for the 12000.  I have had the 12000 for nine years   and have had no repairs other then a light issue that I broke.   I love Janome machines and sing their praises whenever  I can.  Two of my sisters have switched to the Janome brand also.   I live in Michigan and was considering the dealers offer which would have been an impulsive purchase.  Yesterday, I stopped by another dealer, he wants $10,000 for the 15000 with no trade in.  He said he the lack of chips will continue to effect inventory and prices are going up on these types of machines for the next couple of years.  At some point I think I will buy the 15000, but in the meantime I will continue to enjoy sewing on my 12000.   Thanks again for all the comments.

Maria Morrow

I have the 15000.  I have used the embroidery unit twice. I have only 179 sewing hours on it.  I just don’t use it for all its benefits.  It was just cleaned by my dealer. It works great.  I have every accessory that came with it. 

I have two smaller Janomes.  With those and longarming, my 15000 just will never realize her potential.  

Please email me if interested. 

Maria Morrow
MamaMiaQuilting@...
Mobile:  985-640-5024

On Jun 10, 2021, at 5:23 PM, Narda Poulin via groups.io <nardapoulin@...> wrote:

I Think $9000 is way too much for the 15000...I bought mine $6000 4 years ago

JoAnn Novak

I would stick with the 12000, the 15000 is over priced.   I may never use many of the features with the 15000.    JoAnn

Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.

On 6/14/2021 7:59 AM, Stockman via groups.io wrote:
My first machine was a 10000 which I traded up to 11000, and traded that for the 12000.  I have had the 12000 for nine years   and have had no repairs other then a light issue that I broke.   I love Janome machines and sing their praises whenever  I can.  Two of my sisters have switched to the Janome brand also.   I live in Michigan and was considering the dealers offer which would have been an impulsive purchase.  At some point I think I will buy the 15000, but in the meantime I will continue to enjoy sewing on my 12000.   Thanks again for all the comments.