Tech support expiration on 15000

Marlyn

Edited

I have the Horizon 12000 which I love, but am giving thought to buying the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000.  I believe that shortly after the new generation sewing/embroidery machine is debuted in September that Janome’s support for the 12000 will be discontinued.  So,  I was wondering what’s the estimate on how long Janome will continue to support the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000 since technically is ever advancing.

Heres the kicker, my dealer is offering a trade in on my Horizon 12000 for $4000 with purchase of Horizon 15000 for $12,999 and later he will apply the whole amount of the $9000. Towards the new machine that comes out in September if I want to change up to it and of course I would have pay the difference.  I am just wondering, if it is a wise idea to purchase the Horizon 15000 just for a few months.  For those of you who own the 15000, are you still impressed with it and would you  just as soon keep the 15000 or would you buy the next generation in September.   Your comments would be most appreciated.
Marlyn

Margaret Schwab

I don't buy a lot of machines; I guess my feeling is that unless there are big changes that allow me to do way more, I would be content with my 15000. I also own the memory craft 10001 and the 3160 QDC. The 10001 is set up for sewing when the 15000 is busy doing embroidery and the 3160 is for taking to class. I do all of my own quilting both free motion and walking foot and also do quite a bit for the quilting charity group I belong to. It all gets done on the 15000 even very large quilts. Sometimes that is a challenge, but it always seems to work. I have had the 15000 for almost 8 years and I think the only thing that would make me buy a newer model would be an extremely large throat that was closer to a mid- arm quilting machine.
So, it is a personal choice for sure, but I am very pleased with my 15000.
Margaret, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Stockman via groups.io <allanderkacz=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the Horizon 12000 which I love, but am giving thought to buying the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000.  I believe that shortly after the new generation sewing/embroidery machine is debuted in September that Janome’s support for the 12000 will be discontinued.  So,  I was wondering what’s the estimate on how long Janome will continue to support the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000 since technically is ever advancing.

Heres the kicker, my dealer is offering a trade in on my Horizon 12000 for $4000 with purchase of Horizon 15000 for $9000, and later he will apply the whole amount of the $9000. Towards the new machine that comes out in September if I want to change up to it and of course I would have pay the difference.  I am just wondering, if it is a wise idea to purchase the Horizon 15000 just for a few months.  For those of you who own the 15000, are you still expressed with it and would you  just as soon keep the 15000 or would you buy the next generation in September.   Your comments would be most appreciated.
Marlyn

Narda Poulin

 I Think $9000 is way too much for the 15000...I bought mine $6000 4 years ago

Ceil J

Marlyn,
Not sure where you live but I think that price is way too high!  Also, prices for the 15000 should drop after the intro of the new machine but should never be at the MSRP.  I'm in the US and paid either $8000 or $9000 for my 15000  six year ago.  (sorry but memory is on the downslide).  Just my opinion.
Ceil

Pixey

Hi Marlyn,
Here are my thoughts on your conundrum...

First, you want to make sure you are getting a 15000 v3 Quiltmaker edition as it had some enhancements over the initially released 15000, such as the built in ruler foot functionality and some threader improvements.  I have an out of the box version 2 15000 that was upgraded by the dealer to a 15000 v3 Quiltmaker.  I do enjoy using it and it still works well.

Also, you talk about the possibility of only using the 15000 a few months.  There is no guarantee that you will want to immediately upgrade to the new machine being unveiled in August.  None of us know precisely what is actually coming, it just seems like a new TOL makes sense as Janome has done upgrades of other machine paths the past several years. I honestly cannot identify anything that would be so “wow” as to necessarily warrant an immediate trade-in.  Given how much you like your 12000, you may decide really love your new 15000 and keep it longer.

Another thing to consider is whether any of the new machines are even going to be available.  With the current chip shortages and port backlogs (which many vendors are saying will continue on into 2022), they may unveil a new machine in August but dealers may not have many on hand at first.

Finally, I know some members of the group are early adopters when a new machine comes out and that is fine (to each their own).  However, when it comes to major new releases, I prefer to sit back a bit, read the reviews and wait for some of the bugs to get worked out with updates.  That way I have a better idea of what to expect if I do get the machine.   I think I usually get a better price that way too.

On the one hand, I think the price he is quoting you for a potentially end of life cycle machine is a little high.  But on the flip side, he is giving you a very generous trade on your 12000 which will only continue to degrease in value, probably dramatically after a new replacement is announced.  So a 15000 upgrade does make some sense.

Pixey

On Jun 10, 2021, at 3:48 PM, Stockman via groups.io <allanderkacz@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I have the Horizon 12000 which I love, but am giving thought to buying the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000.  I believe that shortly after the new generation sewing/embroidery machine is debuted in September that Janome’s support for the 12000 will be discontinued.  So,  I was wondering what’s the estimate on how long Janome will continue to support the Horizon Quilt Maker 15000 since technically is ever advancing.

Heres the kicker, my dealer is offering a trade in on my Horizon 12000 for $4000 with purchase of Horizon 15000 for $12,999 and later he will apply the whole amount of the $9000. Towards the new machine that comes out in September if I want to change up to it and of course I would have pay the difference.  I am just wondering, if it is a wise idea to purchase the Horizon 15000 just for a few months.  For those of you who own the 15000, are you still expressed with it and would you  just as soon keep the 15000 or would you buy the next generation in September.   Your comments would be most appreciated.
Marlyn

Marlyn

Some of things that were mentioned, I did not give thought to.  Your comments has helped me to reach a decision. I think I should look for a better deal on the 15000, and not concern myself with moving too fast on the new release.

I appreciate your feedback and the frank comments.
Marlyn

Lyn Quine

I have both 12000 and 15000, I upgraded my 15 to the quiltmaker, and I love both machines.  When they brought out the M7 I really wanted it, I thought it would make a good addition to my ‘stable’ of machines, but cost was the issue.  Then I saw it, a friend had one, and actually it isn’t dissimilar to my 15 on the sewing side, so I’m not that bothered now.  I am intrigued about this new machine, what can it offer?  I’ve had my 12 for 8 years and my 15 6 years this month, I haven’t yet managed to fully explore everything on the machines so far, so unless this new machine offer something very radical I won’t bother, cost is going to be an issue for me as well, so just as well I love my machines and am happy with them.  I do have a 6600P as well which is a fantastic work horse for any heavy work.

juliadlf.ny@...

Marlyn: I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago (time files) as I had a 12000 which was a great machine but when the Quiltmaker 15000 came out, I did a lot of research/comparison of features/prices and found I would use many that I did not have on the 12000. I picked a dealer not just for the $$'s but their competence in doing any hiccups that might occur. I've been very happy with my machine and only once had to take it to the dealer to look at the needle threader which was resolved while I waited for it. I love this machine and don't know if I'd ever trade up again. I haven't heard what the new machine release will be but I'm sure someone, somewhere has that info.
Take your time in buying and ask questions.  Good luck.
Julia

Nyssa Lanzafame

I am wondering....are you going to end up owing $5k when you trade-in the 12k?  $9000-$40000=$5000.  Or is $9k what you owe-that is steep, you would be able to pay that on special and keep the 12k! (Which is not worth much and why I kept my 11000SE).  Then when you go to buy the new model, is he going to charge you the MSRP price? Because again I find that the special price is UCB lower.   I know my dealer will do the full value with in a year, but takes it off MSRP....which I learned after, it would have cost me the same to keep my machine and buy the new one on special!  Now, if he is selling you the 15000 for $5k+12000, that I would consider, and you would get $9k off new machine if you decide it’s worth it to upgrade....I would think on that

Cat - N

Not meaning anything bad, but...

The dealer most local to my location only offered the 15000 v2 (which was newly released) to me for full MSRP...literally said the price was "$12,000" when I first looked at it in their store about 6 years ago.  About a year later, I drove nearly 100 miles one way to a dealer who saved me over $4,000 on the 15000's MSRP, and repaired my 11000, which the most local dealer had said wasn't broken at all but sent it home with a thread nest in the bobbin case and needle thread sticking up through the bobbin cover, and told me not to use Organ needles...only Janome 'painted tip'...which they had removed (a blue tip) from my 11000 and inserted their Organ needle which is what came back home in my 11000.  The area where I live is a lower economic area with lower pay scale than many other areas here, so items like that tend to be higher in cost...maybe because fewer perhaps are being sold locally...my guess...plus the nearest 'competing' dealer is about 100 miles in any direction at a minimum.

I declined to trade in my 11000 for the 15000...it is more valuable to me here than what I expected a trade-in value to be.  I couldn't recommend any course of action to you because my situation/need is likely not the same as your situation/need, but I absolutely intend to wait to see what Janome introduces before considering whether or not I am interested in the coming new product, especially considering that several machines live here, including a long arm quilter. But, my 'gut feeling' is that I would likely decline the offer you received if it was offered to me this early in the new model release cycle.  Of course, I dislike being the 'bleeding one' on the 'edge' of technology, having worked over 30 years in high tech and I.T.  What's okay as a 'corporate test' isn't necessarily okay in my bank account.

When I first began looking at the 15000, I had not even seen the MSRP for the machine, but even so, I felt that it wasn't a deal I was interested in...partly because of prices I'd been offered for other brands' TOL machines.

As to liking the 15000, I do like it very much.  I've had some of the same issues that others have had...foot pedal warning (pedal replaced under warranty), needle threader (replaced under warranty with a new style threader), thread jumping out of the take up lever (I thread backwards now), but I do consider it a fine machine, and doubt I would want to trade it in on a new model anyway.  It is very capable, and I am nowhere near pressing all it's buttons in the five years I've been using it.

I am a "find your product then your price" person, so I took my time on the 11000, and even longer on the 15000.  If you are truly in a hurry, it might be a good deal...couldn't say, but I wasn't in a hurry, so it was my choice to 'throttle back' and choose with logic and thoughtful consideration of all my options.

Good luck.  I'm sure you'll figure it all out.

- Cat