suggested stitch?

Joyce Daniel

I have a beautiful piece of 2 sided slate blue musliny type fabric I’d like to use as a receiving blanket/nursing cover.

Any suggestions for a way to finish the raw edge?

It’s light weight and one sided, not sheer. I only have a yard so don’t really have any extra to practice with. Help??

Joyce in GA

We are all tourists, God is our travel agent

who has already identified our routes,

bookings, and destinations…..trust Him always

and enjoy the beautiful life He has given you.

Charlie Chaplin

Kathy Strabel

Joyce----Do you know how to do a binding?  Like on the edge of a quilt. It could be made from a separate piece of fabric that coordinates with your muslin fabric. Don't be put off if you don't feel you could do the mitered corners that are traditional. There is another way to bind a quilt that I have adopted that does not require mitering the corners. There is a very good video on You Tube that explains this super easy method.  Here is the link to the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFiiACpKRA&t=358s
Good luck!
Kathy Strabel

--
Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel

Louise Truss

Can you use wooly nylon and serge the edges?

On Apr 22, 2021, at 5:02 PM, Joyce Daniel <mdaniel@...> wrote:

I have a beautiful piece of 2 sided slate blue musliny type fabric I’d like to use as a receiving blanket/nursing cover.

Any suggestions for a way to finish the raw edge?

It’s light weight and one sided, not sheer. I only have a yard so don’t really have any extra to practice with. Help??

Joyce in GA

We are all tourists, God is our travel agent

who has already identified our routes,

bookings, and destinations…..trust Him always

and enjoy the beautiful life He has given you.

Charlie Chaplin

Cat - N

If you are trying to preserve the maximum fabric size, since you only have one yard of it, you could do a 'mock serged edge' (not an official term...just my description) using the "Overedge Foot" (M, for the Janome 15000).

https://www.janome.com/accessories/sewing-machine-feet/overedge-foot/

To mask the raw edge, you could use narrow ribbon...you could use a bit of glue stick to keep it in place for sewing.  You could add wider ribbon (lace, twill tape, etc.) and zigzag on the center of the ribbon with the ribbon placed with its center along the raw edge.  Again, you could use glue...or pins/clips...so it doesn't move. You could also do a 'scallop edge' if you have the stitch on your machine, or a 'rolled hem' if you have a foot for that.

You can practice on some other scrap of fabric, and check out how the stitching looks on your real fabric after you've stitched an inch or so...in case you need to 'unsew' it for some other option.

- Cat (FL)

I have a beautiful piece of 2 sided slate blue musliny type fabric I’d like to use as a receiving blanket/nursing cover.
Any suggestions for a way to finish the raw edge?
It’s light weight and one sided, not sheer. I only have a yard so don’t really have any extra to practice with. Help??
Joyce in GA

We are all tourists, God is our travel agent
who has already identified our routes,
bookings, and destinations…..trust Him always
and enjoy the beautiful life He has given you.
Charlie Chaplin

June E Hudspeth

Hi Kathy:

This is amazing.  Love this technique to pieces (big smile).

Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June