From: stitchnpatch
To: janome12000@...
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2011 4:17 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Stitch samples

I have just uploaded photos of the stitch outs that I have done of the Heirloom stitches for reference. I used 2 layers of calico and 1 layer of stitch and tear and created a grid to stitch them out on. I have done this before for my previous machines and found it really helpful as it gives me a really good idea of how the stitches look in reality. I would encourage others to do it - takes a while but is fascinating to do and you can pick up any issues with the stitches while you do it. Later on I'll start on the Decorative stitches.
Vicki

stitchnpatch

Jennie - I drew it out by hand as follows -
cut 2 pieces of calico and 1 piece of stabiliser 8" wide x 10" high.
Draw lines down centre and 1/2" either side
Draw lines across at 1/2" intervals.
Divide each large box in half horizontally.
I draw a small arrow at the top to show which way I stitched the row - I always start in the centre and work to the edge trying to keep to the centre line as much as possible (hence the centre line)
When I've stitched all the designs I store them in plastic wallets labelled with the category in a folder .

I've uploaded a photo showing the grid.

Hope that makes it clear how I created the samples - this afternoon I've managed to do the Satin stitches and Quilting stitches - still lots more to do.

Vicki