Stabilizer wastage-1 solution I use

vicki chrobak

I must give credit to another lady (Lotta) in a Husqvarna group for this. I'm on that group because I also have a Ruby.
For the SQ14 hoop,
1. I ironed a piece of muslin (12 3/4" x 12 1/2") to the same size iron-on heavy duty interfacing (the kind used for window shades). The outside dimension doesn't have to be that precise but it has to be able to be hooped.
2. Then I marked the center lines (vertical & horizontal). Next, I marked "TOP" on one end.
3. Next, mark the inside edge of your hoop with the top of the hoop 2 3/4" from the "TOP" that was previously marked. Center between left & right side of fabric.
4. Inside the marked hoop line, come down 1" & make a horizontal line between the hoop line edges.
5. Inside the marked hoop line, left side, make a vertical line 1/2" to the right of the left hoop line.
6. " " " " ", right side, " " " " 3/4" to the left of the right hoop line.
7. Inside the Marked hoop line, bottom, Make a horizontal line 1/2 " above the hoop line.
8. You should now have about 5 1/2" x 5 3/8 "square marked inside the hoop line. Cut the square & discard or save. You no longer need it. This is the area that the hoop allows for stitching.
9. After cutting out square, zigzag the edges with small zagzag stitch.
10. Zigzag outer edges of you muslin base.
11. Now cut a piece of stabilizer slightly larger than inside hoop lines.
12. Apply water-soluble glue stick between cut-out square & slightly beyond hoop lines.
13. Attach stabilizer to the back side of your muslin piece & iron dry.
14. Hoop project using the hoop markings, making sure the TOP is at the top.
15. You should be able to reuse many times just by replacing the small piece of stabilizer. It is also baste-able outside the hoop area since you have the muslin there.

--
Vicki Jo

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, because I know people think
that sticky stabilizer gums up the machine, but I have been using sticky
stabilizer and then cutting my fabric just a little larger than I want
the finished project to be and sticking it down on the stabilizer. I
recently did 9 applique hearts for a wall hanging. The hearts were
about 3.5 x 3.5 and fabric about 6 x6 to be cut down to 4.5 x 4.5. I
found I could pull off a finished heart, and then cut enough stabilizer
to cover the hole left with a little extra to stick down onto the sticky
part left in the hoop, then cover that with new fabric. I did all 9
hearts without re-hooping any more stabilizer.