Topics

Spanish Hemstitch

Irene Holland

I have the 15000. Is there a way to create a Spanish hemstitch? I know that some brands have a special foot but I don't see one for the 15000.
TIA
Irene

Elizabeth Mccall

I've never heard of a Spanish Hemstitch. Can you please describe  it and what & where is is used?
Thanks,Elizabeth a McCall

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM Irene Holland via Groups.Io <ifholland=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the 15000. Is there a way to create a Spanish hemstitch? I know that some brands have a special foot but I don't see one for the 15000.
TIA
Irene

Patricia Ward

There was a fringe foot that was used with the 9000, 10000 and 11000 thus making it a 7mm foot.  With it you could make fringe to cut to make flowers or you could use it to sew two edges together to make what is now called a Spanish Hemstitch; I think the old term for this was called fagoting.   You basically would sew the two pieces together just catching the edges of each piece  so that you had an open space of stitches between.

I looked in the Footbook app and it is listed as a 7 mm foot but nothing is listed for a 9 mm foot for the 15000.

Bernina makes an attachment for their machines and it has a special foot and instead of having the bar on the foot where the thread jumps across there is a plastic piece that almost seems to ride in front of the foot to get this open effect.  You can find videos of it on You Tube.

If this info is not correct, I hope Jim or Diane corrects me... but that is how I have perceived the "Spanish Hemstitch"  effect in sewing.

With my 10000 I did make a linen blouse and used the fringe foot to do that open work on the hem of the sleeves.  Quite pretty.

Pat in MD

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 7:15 PM Elizabeth Mccall <mountainlady989@...> wrote:
I've never heard of a Spanish Hemstitch. Can you please describe  it and what & where is is used?
Thanks,Elizabeth a McCall

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM Irene Holland via Groups.Io <ifholland=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the 15000. Is there a way to create a Spanish hemstitch? I know that some brands have a special foot but I don't see one for the 15000.
TIA
Irene

favymtz

Elna also makes the attachment that can work on our Janome machine. They’re called “Fagoting Pates.” They fit in place of the bobbin cover. The ones I have fit on my Janome 12000 but not on my 15000 because the bobbin covers are different between the two. I don’t know enough about the Elna machines to recommend which model number might be compatible with a 15000, but a visit to a dealer could help. My Janome dealer(exclusive) ordered the plates for me, so it’s likely others can as well.
favymtz

Irene Holland

A Spanish hemstitch is used to join two finished edges.  It creates a decorative space between the two edges.

Irene Holland

You are right, I believe it is also called fagoting and that is described in the instructions that go along with the fringe foot. I have used the fringe to create the open effect but you are limited to a zigzag stitch as far as I can figure out and watching Diane's video on the fringe foot. The Bernina foot that I saw a demo of has the "channel piece" placed in front of the needle, allowing for cord to be inserted, and since the needle does not have to pass over the channel decorative stitches can be used.
Irene in OR

Patricia Ward

Exactly, Irene.

Pat

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 11:15 AM Irene Holland via Groups.Io <ifholland=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You are right, I believe it is also called fagoting and that is described in the instructions that go along with the fringe foot. I have used the fringe to create the open effect but you are limited to a zigzag stitch as far as I can figure out and watching Diane's video on the fringe foot. The Bernina foot that I saw a demo of has the "channel piece" placed in front of the needle, allowing for cord to be inserted, and since the needle does not have to pass over the channel decorative stitches can be used.
Irene in OR

Patricia Ward

Wow, Faviola, that is interesting.  How nice it would be if Janome made those Fagoting Pates to fit the 15000 as well; I am sure as an accessory that would sell.

Maybe an educator can drop a suggestion to the designers in Japan?    Fingers crossed...
But realistically.... I bet with a new TOL coming out no new accessories or anything will be made for the 15000...   it will become an  orphan.   But not all of us seniors can afford to keep purchasing the new TOL machines.

Pat in MD

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 11:15 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
Elna also makes the attachment that can work on our Janome machine. They’re called “Fagoting Pates.” They fit in place of the bobbin cover. The ones I have fit on my Janome 12000 but not on my 15000 because the bobbin covers are different between the two. I don’t know enough about the Elna machines to recommend which model number might be compatible with a 15000, but a visit to a dealer could help. My Janome dealer(exclusive) ordered the plates for me, so it’s likely others can as well.
favymtz

Irene Holland

There appears to be a foot for janome sergers. Well, after looking at the other brand's feet, I guess I'll just have to put my McGyver }.
Irene

Anne Stoye

I have read that a plastic coffee stirrer (or similar) can be taped in front of the needle to keep the two pieces of fabric a uniform distance apart for the faggoting.  If there isn’t a special foot available, you could try Heath Robinson methods.

Anne