shrinking cut away no show stabilizer

lindalhofer@...

I have had an issue with cutaway no show stabilizer.  After embroidery is finished and giving it a press the stabilizer shrinks.  what brand does not do this? and now that i have a large roll what is the solution for me? thank you

Charlene Kay Bergren

I have conducted a test with “no show mesh stabilizer”.  I cut 3 pieces of 12” no show mess exactly 6 inches wide.  One I left plain, one I steam pressed and one I washed in the sink and let air dry.  The steamed piece and the washed piece BOTH shrunk almost a quarter inch in both width and length.  I was AMAZED.  We had been having trouble with quilt labels and also t-shirts – but I now know why.  I had also completed a tiled Hatched in Africa wall hanging that was absolutely perfect, but when I put some iron-on batting on it – what a mess I had.  Ripped the batting off, thinking that was the problem, but now know it was the no show mesh stabilizer causing the issue.

I have purchased some no show mess stabilizer that is 100% nylon from DIME.  It very clearly says it will not shrink and get softer with each washing.  I have NOT USED IT YET, so have no comment to make on it.  It is the only one I have found – and I have done a lot of searching – that says it is 100% nylon.  The rest are all a combination of poly and other materials – and they do SHRINK!

Will report on the nylon one when I use it.

Kay Bergren

Charlene Kay Bergren

I would say, if you wash it in the sink and let it line dry, I would think it would work o.k.  That is just a guess, as I haven’t used it washed yet.  I’m in the same mess.  DIME carries a nylon no-show that is not suppose to shrink.  Have it but can’t tell you the results yet.

I have had an issue with cutaway no show stabilizer.  After embroidery is finished and giving it a press the stabilizer shrinks.  what brand does not do this? and now that i have a large roll what is the solution for me? thank you

Patricia Ward

Thank you for sharing your test results. I had read that poly mesh does shrink, but your experiment showed how much.
It will be interesting to see how the nylon performs.

Pat

On Aug 31, 2020, at 4:48 PM, Charlene Kay Bergren <bergren@...> wrote:

[...]

Sewhat

I really appreciated your sharing as well

Ceil J

I've had the shrinking problem as well.  It's so disheartening!
I cannot find 100% nylon no show mesh on the DIME site, nor do they say it won't shrink.  I wonder if they've changed the formula?

VLS

Can someone please tell me what DIME stands for.  I know it’s a website I just cant locate it

Thank you
Vicki

[Moderator steps in - Designs In Machine Embroidery, from the magazine of the same name.  dzgns.com]

Pixey

Line drying won’t typically shrink fabric or stabilizer because it is the heat of machine drying or ironing/steaming that causes the shrinkage process.

From what others have shared.  You can either get it wet and throw it in the dryer or steam press it before using it to preshrink it.

Pixey