shrinking cut away no show stabilizer

lindalhofer@...

I have had an issue with cutaway no show stabilizer.  After embroidery is finished and giving it a press the stabilizer shrinks.  what brand does not do this? and now that i have a large roll what is the solution for me? thank you  

Charlene Kay Bergren

I have conducted a test with “no show mesh stabilizer”.  I cut 3 pieces of 12” no show mess exactly 6 inches wide.  One I left plain, one I steam pressed and one I washed in the sink and let air dry.  The steamed piece and the washed piece BOTH shrunk almost a quarter inch in both width and length.  I was AMAZED.  We had been having trouble with quilt labels and also t-shirts – but I now know why.  I had also completed a tiled Hatched in Africa wall hanging that was absolutely perfect, but when I put some iron-on batting on it – what a mess I had.  Ripped the batting off, thinking that was the problem, but now know it was the no show mesh stabilizer causing the issue.

I have purchased some no show mess stabilizer that is 100% nylon from DIME.  It very clearly says it will not shrink and get softer with each washing.  I have NOT USED IT YET, so have no comment to make on it.  It is the only one I have found – and I have done a lot of searching – that says it is 100% nylon.  The rest are all a combination of poly and other materials – and they do SHRINK!

Will report on the nylon one when I use it.

Kay Bergren

Charlene Kay Bergren

I would say, if you wash it in the sink and let it line dry, I would think it would work o.k.  That is just a guess, as I haven’t used it washed yet.  I’m in the same mess.  DIME carries a nylon no-show that is not suppose to shrink.  Have it but can’t tell you the results yet.

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of lindalhofer via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 11:58 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] shrinking cut away no show stabilizer

I have had an issue with cutaway no show stabilizer.  After embroidery is finished and giving it a press the stabilizer shrinks.  what brand does not do this? and now that i have a large roll what is the solution for me? thank you  

Patricia Ward

Thank you for sharing your test results. I had read that poly mesh does shrink, but your experiment showed how much.
It will be interesting to see how the nylon performs.

Pat

On Aug 31, 2020, at 4:48 PM, Charlene Kay Bergren <bergren@...> wrote:

I have conducted a test with “no show mesh stabilizer”.  I cut 3 pieces of 12” no show mess exactly 6 inches wide.  One I left plain, one I steam pressed and one I washed in the sink and let air dry.  The steamed piece and the washed piece BOTH shrunk almost a quarter inch in both width and length.  I was AMAZED.  We had been having trouble with quilt labels and also t-shirts – but I now know why.  I had also completed a tiled Hatched in Africa wall hanging that was absolutely perfect, but when I put some iron-on batting on it – what a mess I had.  Ripped the batting off, thinking that was the problem, but now know it was the no show mesh stabilizer causing the issue.

I have purchased some no show mess stabilizer that is 100% nylon from DIME.  It very clearly says it will not shrink and get softer with each washing.  I have NOT USED IT YET, so have no comment to make on it.  It is the only one I have found – and I have done a lot of searching – that says it is 100% nylon.  The rest are all a combination of poly and other materials – and they do SHRINK!

Will report on the nylon one when I use it.

Kay Bergren

Sewhat

I really appreciated your sharing as well

Ceil J

I've had the shrinking problem as well.  It's so disheartening! 
I cannot find 100% nylon no show mesh on the DIME site, nor do they say it won't shrink.  I wonder if they've changed the formula? 

VLS

Can someone please tell me what DIME stands for.  I know it’s a website I just cant locate it

Thank you
Vicki

[Moderator steps in - Designs In Machine Embroidery, from the magazine of the same name.  dzgns.com]

Pixey

Line drying won’t typically shrink fabric or stabilizer because it is the heat of machine drying or ironing/steaming that causes the shrinkage process. 

From what others have shared.  You can either get it wet and throw it in the dryer or steam press it before using it to preshrink it.

Pixey

On Aug 31, 2020, at 3:48 PM, Charlene Kay Bergren <bergren@...> wrote:

I would say, if you wash it in the sink and let it line dry, I would think it would work o.k.  That is just a guess, as I haven’t used it washed yet.  I’m in the same mess.  DIME carries a nylon no-show that is not suppose to shrink.  Have it but can’t tell you the results yet.

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of lindalhofer via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 11:58 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] shrinking cut away no show stabilizer

Cheryl Paul

I had the same problem with no-show mesh stabilizer. I was doing my homework from a class I took (and haven’t finished yet) and decided to use a fuse on no-show mesh to do rows of decorative stitching. I think that perhaps the problem started before I even started stitching when I fused the stabilizer onto my fabric. I was really PO’d when I saw the results of my work, thankfully it was only an 8X10 piece, but there were 2 of them. I pressed and pressed, used steam, Best Press - you know the drill and nothing worked. I took a picture of this and send it to my dealer, who was instructing the class and she suggested it was the stabilizer. She used “tear away” in class, but I didn’t want to spend time “tearing away”, and since mine was going to turn into a bunch of wall hangings instead of a “quilt”, I though the no-show mesh was a better option - ABSOLUTELY NOT. I will repeat the exercise with a better stabilizer.

It is disappointing though as the “no-show” is suppose to be a better support on t-shirts for embroidery and be less visible than other stabilizer and softer for embroidery on t-shirts. That hasn’t been my experience.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Lou Ann

I bought a LARGE roll of medium weight cutaway and it also shrank when washed/dried.  I now pull off several yards at a time and wash and dry it before I use it.  It hasn't seemed to shrink any more after the one wash cycle.  I've always wondered if that could be done with heat and bond type adhesive stabilizers.  Has anybody tried it?

Lynnette Johnson

Has anyone noticed any shrinking in other types of stabilizers? I was wondering if we should preshrink them as well.

Thank you,

Lynn

Roberta K

I discovered the problem with polyester mesh a couple of years ago. I would get all this puckering once I finished my project and tried to iron it. I searched online and I found an article that was posted by “Designs By Juju”, that said the same thing. Polyester no show mesh definitely shrinks.

Roberta in FL

Roberta K

https://www.secretsof.com/embroideryblog/wp-content/uploads/preshrink-mesh-cutaway-social.jpg

Even if they say it won’t shrink, I would not trust it. You can cut large squares of No show mesh, soak them in warm water and then dry them on medium in your dryer. Then you can use the stabilizer with much better results! 

Roberta in FL

Cheryl Paul

I haven’t noticed any shrinkage on other types of stabilizers, however one should always do a test before embroidering on your good fabric. It checks to see how the stitch-out will be, tensions and all things that may be a problem when you actually do your final product. Use fabric as close to what you will be using for the test and also the same stabilizer.

Cheryl - Saskatoon