Topics

Sewing chair

Vickie Wright

Ladies I am 5ft and challenged when sitting at machine.

What chair do you recommend
thanks happy sewing
--
Vickie in Ohio and Florida

Padden, Jennifer R

I found it easier to lower my table.  I had to cut off a bit or the legs on my tables and then a readily available chair worked well at my sit down quilter and my domestic machine.  I have a taller table for my embroidery machine, but I don't usually spend a long time sitting still in front of that machine.  I found that I had to use a booster for the foot pedal with the taller tables.  With the lower tables I can put the foot pedal on the floor and have the best ergonomic posture for me.  Being short is a challenge sometimes, right?

Lyn Quine

I am quite tall, but I treat my machine the same as a computer work station.  I use an office wheeled chair, it adjustable for height and the seat is also adjustable.  I prefer the wheeled chair to a dining chair, I can move my position in front of the machine rather than move body, less back and neck ache.

Mary E

I use a massage therapist rolling stool. It can be adjusted o about any height and I find that the fact i moves easily makes my core muscles work.

On Friday, June 19, 2020, Vickie Wright <okbee@...> wrote:

Ladies I am 5ft and challenged when sitting at machine.

What chair do you recommend
thanks happy sewing
--
Vickie in Ohio and Florida

favymtz

I am also 5 ft tall, and because of that, my oh so handy husband made my sewing tables. The table height is 29" from the floor. I think commercial sewing cabinets are 32". My tables have the Horn lift mechanisms in them so that's the sewing height, of course when I embroider I have to raise the machines up.
My chairs are adjustable height rolling chairs that I purchased at a furniture store. They work great.
It's SO important that we have ergonomically proper height furniture. One day I was sewing all day at a gathering and my machine was on a regular height banquet table. My hands were almost at shoulder height to sew. I had neck and shoulder pain, numbness and tingling for about a month afterward, my goodness that was scary!
favymtz

--
Favymtz

Kathleen Chevalier

The book "Dream Sewing Spaces" by Janette Raney-Black has lots of ideas and an excellent section on ergonomic measurements for you sewing space. As for a chair, I have an office chair with no arms, a good one that adjusts for height and back. It has 5 "legs" with castors (rollers) on them. I suggest that you get one with the 5 legs, not the cheaper ones with 4.

Of course, Koala and Horn, who make sewing furniture, have excellent chairs. Pricey, but worth it, if you sit at your sewing machine for very long each day.

--
Kathleen Chevalier
western Pennsylvania

Chris House

Seems like I am always on the edge of my chair when sewing so I changed to a stool w/ wheels because was not using the chair back or arms.  Much better and adjustable height too.

Emily

This chair is very comfortable with back support and soft cushion, comes in black or gray ... https://www.staples.com/Staples-Ardfield-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_2630432

I'm close to your height and love this chair with the adjustable features. When putting it together you can either put the arm rests on or leave them off. Staples ships pretty fast, too.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:23 AM Vickie Wright <okbee@...> wrote:

Ladies I am 5ft and challenged when sitting at machine.

What chair do you recommend
thanks happy sewing
--
Vickie in Ohio and Florida

Kathleen Smith

You might want to look for adjustable tables.  I can never get the chair high enough.  I think Sew Easy makes a portable adjustable table.