Topics

Servicing an 11000

Lynn Fisher

I gave my daughter my 11000 about 4 years ago. I had it serviced just before I gave it to her. She has not used it very much but wanted to start using it and so took it in for servicing again (different dealer). The dealer said it keeps cycling through error messages when he tries to turn it on. He thinks it might have sat for too long, and that a lot of the internal lubrication might not be good. He said he would almost have to rebuild it to fix it at this point, and that it would take a long time. Does this sound accurate? It has had no problems up to now. Should I take it to my original dealer for another opinion? Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Stutsman

The "cycling through error messages" sounds bogus to me. Normally if there is an error it stops right there. I would take it back to your original dealer who serviced it to begin with. There's no such thing as "sat for too long".

Lynn Fisher

Thanks Jim. It didn’t sound on the up-and-up to me.

Cheryl Paul

Lynn,

Hopefully that dealer didn't take the machine apart and ruin it.  I'd collect it as soon as possible, take it to your original dealer's technician, get a detailed invoice of what he/she does to the 11000.  I'd then be tempted to take it back to the "bad guy" and show him/her what scammers they are.

I like you gave my 11000 to my daughter back in 2014 or so and she runs it with no issues.  I almost got myself into a pickle here as I also gave my MC6000 another daughter for a wedding gift, as it was better than most new machines of the price I'd get to sell it - that was in 2004, and she still uses that machine to hem her pants, mend what needs mending and I KNOW that machine hasn't been in for a service since I had it serviced to give to her.  As for the 11000, I also know that it hasn't been in either and both work just fine.  Yours should too if that twit hasn't messed with it.

I hope that you can get this resolved so that your daughter can enjoy lots of "good" sewing and embroidery with her gift from you.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

saba_cat2

I too have an 11000 which had been stored in side (in a Tutto case) for over a year with no use.  At Christmas when my 15000 had an issue, the 11000 was brought out of hibernation.  Turned it own and the error message "Raise Pressure Foot and Needle Bar, then power on again" popped up.  Of course, following these steps did not help.  Took machine in for service and after getting it back did not use for a couple months.  Low and behold there was that same error message again.  Might mention that gear cycling doesn't sound like a recall it sounding like.  I can turn the machine on/off 3-5 times and the message no longer appears.  Until it sits for a day or two.  Spoke with the technician and was told it was the A-motor (?) going out.  Cost to replace approximately $700.  Possibly??

In the mean time, I had watched a Facebook video clip by a dealer who's husband is a technician and this exact issue was mentioned.  They indicated that this is a common problem with machines that have sat inactive for long periods of time whereby the lubrication in the motor (??) become thick (dry/hard/????).  To me this sounds likely.  What is involved to resolve this, I don't know.

Undoubtedly, I'd like to have this fixed as I'd like to sell the machine.

Jim, can you shed any further light and/or direction on this issue?

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 09:41:35 AM PST, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

[...]

Neither explanation sound quite right. The motor is unlikely to be stuck due to lack of lubrication. I’ve not seen that happen, no mater how long a machine was stored. Once in a while a motor can fail, but it doesn’t usually fail like that. A simple test is to turn it on. If you get the message, turn it off, then turn the hand wheel slightly. Turn it on again. If the message is gone it *might* be the motor. But it’s more likely to be a stuck sensor. One thing to try is to put the knee lift in. Push it SLIGHTLY, not enough to raise the foot, but enough that you moved it. Keep it in that position and turn the machine on. If it comes on without the error, then the sensor is due to the knee lifter linkage. It’s an easy adjustment once the top is off, and usually it only needs to be move a little. Your dealer should be able to do it.

saba_cat2

Thanks, Jim, will test this out.

Deb